S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Ok - car was delivered this a.m. - first impressions...

Old 02-26-2003, 05:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok - car was delivered this a.m. - first impressions...

Ok - a lot of you are big whiny crybabies. I was all set to be disappointed having to keep it under 5K and I have to tell you I am INCREDIBLY impressed with its power so far - obviously I can't wait to get it up to 9K....

Engine - so smooth - idle is quiet but as soon as you get on the throttle is snarls nicely.

Chassis - stiffest I have driven in in a long time - arguably feels stiffer than a friends 996TT w/European suspension...

Shifter/tranny - the way its supposed to be. Enough said.

I can't imagine having/wanting to modify this car. Its so balanced straight from the factory its ridiculous. This is the only car that I have driven stock that doesnt have a single area that needs improvement...way to go Honda.

I am beyond happy.

later,
Ross
Old 02-26-2003, 06:27 AM

i'm reasonably new here too (about 1,500 miles in two almost two months), however i don't view the s2000 as god's gift to drivers. the rear end is a bit prone to step out, there are blind spots galore with the top up, and the shift action of the tranny is not all that great. however... the chassis stiffness is incredible, the low-end torque isn't unbearable (although i have stalled it twice) and the top-end power is ALL there. i've been driving lightly modded miatas for ten years, so i have some perspective on convertible sports cars. the s2000 is sweet, but it think that honda will bake some of the aftermarket stuff people are currently doing, in when sales really trail off. a la, mazda offering performance enhancements on the miata... larger wheels, new lsd, stripped versions (similar to the early "R" models), shock tower braces etc, etc, etc.
Old 02-26-2003, 06:49 AM

the shift action of the tranny is not all that great
you're kidding, right ?

there are blind spots galore with the top up
it's a convertible... drive a Ferrari Modena spyder or Mitsubishi Eclipse spyder... there's only so much designers can do when they design convertiables (without butchering the overall design) to prevent "blindspots."

the rear end is a bit prone to step out
that's what happens when you have a car that has 40% more power than an average Miata... with no increase in weight... the more you drive it, the more you will understand how the car is supposed to dance around the curves... Driving school may be a good option for you to consider

and as far getting Honda to see the "need" to further modify this car ? That really won't happen... look at history with the NSX as an indicator. Also, I have met a bunch of people at the track that have been fustrated with their cars' performance (those S2000s that were modified in terms of wheels and suspension- the dividends in improved handling / driving are not there).

berzerker - I agree with your takeaways as well.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:00 AM

You know its funny - your comment about ppl at the track not being happy with their suspension mods...I wish I could remember where this article was published - but there was a comparison of a stock 996TT and a couple of tuned ones (maybe autothority etc) and the stock car pulled the fastest lap times consistently. Some cars are not meant to be modified...it just upsets the balance that the factory tuned perfectly.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:01 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

What color did you get? Hope you get an early spring to enjoy the topless driving.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:16 AM

just made a quick sig. black on black. Yeah - tell me about it - we are supposed to have snow tomorrow, friday and sunday... oh well
Old 02-26-2003, 07:51 AM

make sure your dealer took out all the spring spacers. they're notorious for leaving them in.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:53 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ricklobo
[B]
Old 02-26-2003, 08:23 AM

Ace10 - completely understand your position and not trying to be elitist in any shape / form. And I am up for a mature discussion on this topic - and first of foremost, individual opinions are our right so don't take any of what I say as preaching...

but......

it's notchy and the throws are long.
unless you got one of those ill-affected S2000s, I can't imagine how the shifts can be notchy... nevermind long... I have driven Ferraris, Porsches, and Lamborghinis that have longer and notchier throws... What we have in our cars is pretty much a piece a art from a $30K priced vehicle... Hopefully it will break in over time (maybe mine did and I don't remember it being notchy) or a visit to the dealership could diagnose a problem.

as for modifying, please take a look at the evolution of the miata.
I agree... so you need to look at the original design of the Miata. It was never meant to be a sports car like the S2000 - the roots are not identical. The Miata had a lot to improve on and the engineers stopped once the car was "cute enough and quick enough." As an example, I have seen a few 4.9 liter mustang engines dropped into Miatas, that prove that the Miata can be tweaked around all day long to generate significant improvements over stock. I will not say the same for the S2000.

i think that there's some room for improvement with the s2000, but likely in the form of weight reduction, a wheel upgrade and maybe an interior more conducive for the installation of some real overhead protection. engine technology will improve, and i'm sure that there's more torque in the future for the car. throwing parts at a car, in general, is a bad idea. honda engineers know what they are doing.
I would agree with that statement, though I would say that you are now probably talking about a car that starts at $35 - $37K... which puts us at a different topic that we could discuss...

making suggestion about driving school sounds a little elitist to me. especially w/o knowing the person to whom you are speaking... you don't know that person's background.
If you have had a lot of time at the track, that is great. Most people haven't and that is my assumption. Personally, my experience at the track have given me more insight than your typical driver; hence my blanket recommendation for driving school for you (and for that matter, all S2000 drivers).
Old 02-26-2003, 09:36 AM

i don't think that a 302 in a miata is a good thing or a good idea(although a reasonably creative use of space and a nice collection of parts). as the '90's went along, tons of FI options sprouted up, and the car became a (performance) modders dream. the miata was a "sports car" designed in a long-gone era of the mid 80's. the first M1's were very lightweight, undertired, underbraked and underbraced. when the '94's were released, they were such a dramatic improvement... more displacement, bigger brakes, some interior inmprovements and lots of stiffness. i traded my '93 for a '94... they were that much better! by the ned of the '90's the miaat had become a blvd cruiser. the R model was dropped, there was a fancy stereo and you couldn't get and lsd without leather or abs. i think that that miata has about run its course.... not too bad for a 13 year old design (hmmm, sounds like the nsx). the miata is really all about awesome handling wrapped in a fun package that is just fast enough to keep most people happy.

i agree that the s2000 is not going to be easily improved upon, at least not without a lot of help from the boys at honda. and yes, it will cost dough. i am pretty much convinced that the s2000 is worth more than the msrp and that honda MAY be losing a couple of bucks on each sale. however the market is slowly filling with competitive offerings (especially the z4 3.0) and prices are dropping (new/used). it's not too hard to find dealers selling that at decent (1 to 2K) discounts).

i'm not saying that i am expert at driving the s2000, hell we've only had a couple of days where the temp is warm enough to get out there and really test the S-02's. warm will bring the top down and the blind spots will be almost gone, and the tires will be upto temp and i won't have to run the a/c to get the windows cleared. i'm really looking forward to that time, for sure!

and as for the shifter... i am only two months removed from a 5speed miata with a shorty shifter on it.... that was the absolute pinnacle of smooth and accurate gear selection. so when i say long throws and notchy, i'm not suggesting that the s2000 shifts like a late 80's mustang. i do hope that the shifter does smooth out a bit, or that i become accustomed to it over time.

btw- do you or anyone else have a problem witht he pedal spacing? i have a bad habit of putting my right heel closer to the brake pedal that the gas... sometimes (in the s2000) i accidently rub/tap the brake pedal when i briefly lift off the gas during an upshift. damn, i hat that, but i haven't really gotten under there to see check out the spacing.

Quick Reply: Ok - car was delivered this a.m. - first impressions...