S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Once you replace a soft top, is it never quite the same?

Old 11-12-2015, 07:11 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Update - sorry, no pics. Car is getting a new black Robbins Stayfast cloth top installed by a reputable company for $1,495. I know that's a pretty significant amount of money, but it's a fair price judging from my research... and it'll be worth it.

The reason I decided to do this is simple. The company installing the top knows the S2000 inside and out. It took them about five minutes to show me exactly why I have my three problems. Problem one is because of improperly installed tension cables. Problem two is partially because of improperly installed tension cables, but primarily because of issues with the weather stripping. Problem three is caused by a couple of things: improperly installed straps (the ones that come with a glass upgrade soft top kit), improper mounting in the back (where the top disappears under the car's body, it's not tight like a drum and has too much slack).

They could fix all three issues (the first two being fairly easy), but the third issue requires disassembling the top. Plus, since the top has been stretched in its current position for a few years, it might not look perfect. Hence, the new top.

Like some of you said - it's all (at least, mostly) in the install. Thanks for all the insight.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:19 PM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

my brother s2000 as well as mine both have the ez on top and we installed both of them ourselves and they fit 100% like OEM and we have no issues with them at all. In fact its nicer than oem because we got the stayfast material which is a lot softer and nicer. Lot of people bash ex on tops and i'm no expert but my 2 ex on installed tops are perfect.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:37 AM

Received 1,302 Likes on 977 Posts

It comes down to the install. I installed my EZ ON top myself, and I think it turned out like 90% as good as OEM. I should have fixed the rear bar at a lower length than it said in the "instructions" that came with it. Which is why my rear window was very close to...or in contact with the rear hoops. I see that ALL the time with aftermarket tops though.

It was my first time ever doing anything like that, and it took me like 12 or 14 hours (I worked straight thru). My weather stripping could have been adjusted a little better. There was one small line of water entry right at the front corner of the driver window.

I could have fixed it...but decided to just go on living my life for the like....6 years that I had that top. I think I may have been the only one that noticed oddities in the top.

If I did the install again, it would be 120% as good as OEM...but...I sold my top and bought a hard top...and will likely never look back.

The white car has an actual original top.

This was my original Honda installed top for comparison.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:02 AM

Received 1,302 Likes on 977 Posts

You're right about the OEM top curling over the side windows a in a much cleaner manner, with more material.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now that you know what's wrong, have you thought about trying to fix it yourself (before shelling out $1500 on a replacement)? Since you're willing to spend the $$ on a replacement, you don't have anything to lose.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Jdrum1
Now that you know what's wrong, have you thought about trying to fix it yourself (before shelling out $1500 on a replacement)? Since you're willing to spend the $$ on a replacement, you don't have anything to lose.
Good point. And yes, I chatted with the shop about that. Now of course they want me to spend money, but they said since the top has been on for a few years, it's probably taken a fairly permanent shape/stretched and might not look perfect if they, or I (I don't have the knowledge or patience to disassemble the top), fix it... especially on the sides above the windows. After some thought, I decided on a new top. Hopefully this job is an A+ and the Stayfast cloth top lasts a LONG time.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:19 AM

Well, the new top is basically perfect (I have to replace a few broken plastic clips in the tray, but that's it). It fits like a tailored suit, looks terrific and has zero of my previous issues. The Stayfast cloth is nicer looking than my previous vinyl top too. Like some of you said, it's all in the install! Hopefully I can sell the previous top and recoup a little bit of my money.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a very bad fitting, cheap looking aftermarket top as well. Installed by a cheap previous owner It is the single ugliest thing about the otherwise great car. I'm going to sell the car and get another S with a proper top. Never cheap out on a car!

Once you replace a soft top, is it never quite the same?-zdu5n2f.jpg

Once you replace a soft top, is it never quite the same?-ck6fa38.jpg

Once you replace a soft top, is it never quite the same?-xivca8p.jpg
Old 11-20-2015, 03:00 PM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Any particular reason you're selling the car instead of fixing the top? That seems like a extreme and pain in the butt process for correcting one thing.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fokker
Any particular reason you're selling the car instead of fixing the top? That seems like a extreme and pain in the butt process for correcting one thing.
I sold my last house because a light bulb burned out.

Quick Reply: Once you replace a soft top, is it never quite the same?