S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Our s2000's are Aging

Old 11-11-2014, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even though its "aging", alot of people on the road still don't know what it is. I get a couple of people thinking its a bmw, and others who don't even know. I tell them the year the car was made and they are super surprised. One of them said , "oh wow, the speedo is digital LOL" "I didn't know they made them like that back then".

Over all our lines are clean and the aftermarket companies should cover our cars for another +20 years easy.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:09 PM

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,000 Posts

No one, other than a S2000 owner, thinks my car is 8 years old. I've given up telling folks it's that old, they think it's new.

Parts are still available for old MGs and Triumphs so I'm not worried about S2000 parts.

-- Chuck
Old 11-12-2014, 01:17 PM

I believe there will always be parts for our S2000's. Though they may not be OEM parts. But some aftermarket company will make em. If not. I am sure a handful of tuners will keep making parts as long as there is a market for the parts. The car is basic ? In what way? Sounds to me like you mean "Creature Comfort". Our cars have a different chassis than most. Our frames for example have that A shaped re-enforcement. I do not know of any other car that has that. It's also quite stiff for being a convertible. Our motors are one of the(thee ?) Highest RPM for a production model. Our cars were built for 1 reason. To enjoy the road. Not to set your ac on the driver side to 65 and the passenger to 80. Or even push a button to make the seat move... Alot of things get a heck of a lot better with age. Just like wine.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:52 PM

Will OEM parts become harder to find? In the next twenty years I'd say yes especially considering only 110,000 S2000s were made over its decade long run. However the aftermarket for them is still very strong and it's still a popular car. However as the years go by the car is gradually becoming outdated in terms of performance. In 1999 when it first came out it was a world class performer and completely embarrassed BMW and Porsche. It outperformed their Z4 and Boxster roadsters and at a cheaper price. The car could keep up and outpace many of the more modern Japanese competitors and American muscle cars of the time in terms of straight line speed and leave them in the dust in the corners, but times change and progress marches on. There are some hot hatches being produced today that can outperform the S2000 and seeing as how the car is 15 years old now it doesn't surprise me. However I love this car for its simplicity and reliability and it can still hold its own on the track. All the cars of today have too much crap going on and too many electronic aids and devices you don't need. I don't need internet in my car or bluetooth. If I need a GPS I'll use my phone.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by CaliPatriot88
Will OEM parts become harder to find? In the next twenty years I'd say yes especially considering only 110,000 S2000s were made over its decade long run. However the aftermarket for them is still very strong and it's still a popular car. However as the years go by the car is gradually becoming outdated in terms of performance. In 1999 when it first came out it was a world class performer and completely embarrassed BMW and Porsche. It outperformed their Z4 and Boxster roadsters and at a cheaper price. The car could keep up and outpace many of the more modern Japanese competitors and American muscle cars of the time in terms of straight line speed and leave them in the dust in the corners, but times change and progress marches on. There are some hot hatches being produced today that can outperform the S2000 and seeing as how the car is 15 years old now it doesn't surprise me. However I love this car for its simplicity and reliability and it can still hold its own on the track. All the cars of today have too much crap going on and too many electronic aids and devices you don't need. I don't need internet in my car or bluetooth. If I need a GPS I'll use my phone.
I would hope that aftermarket is still going very strong. The only thing in concern about is getting a new engine block for the car. What if my block loses compression at some point? Ap1 blocks are no longer for sale and I heard that rebuilding these engines aren't usually a good idea.

I enjoy the simplicity of the car; but I cannot lie, when I was given a rental the keyless entry was a great addition ! I cannot believe that cars today have wifi hotspots. I'm guessing that is for the passengers, but it is still cluttered with technology. I feel quite out of the loop at 23 years old and not understanding how to connect Bluetooth to my car or to make a hands-free phone call.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:41 PM

For my guide, what OEM parts are no longer produced now ?
Old 11-18-2014, 03:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gotpepsi
Originally Posted by CaliPatriot88' timestamp='1415847134' post='23403309
I would hope that aftermarket is still going very strong. The only thing in concern about is getting a new engine block for the car. What if my block loses compression at some point? Ap1 blocks are no longer for sale and I heard that rebuilding these engines aren't usually a good idea.

I enjoy the simplicity of the car; but I cannot lie, when I was given a rental the keyless entry was a great addition ! I cannot believe that cars today have wifi hotspots. I'm guessing that is for the passengers, but it is still cluttered with technology. I feel quite out of the loop at 23 years old and not understanding how to connect Bluetooth to my car or to make a hands-free phone call.
I know J's racing has the engine blueprinted for the low, low price of $9,000.
Inline pro has the rebuild kit or something.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:46 AM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Of course the S2000 is becoming outdated but what does it mean?

To me it means that it's closer to being a car and further away from a video game.

I have an s2k because I enjoy the practicing art of driving fast ( and couldn't afford to take on a Porsche as another dependant).

My old 911 , no PS,basic mechanical suspension,no ABS or traction control,stick shifting etc is still a more pure experience but the Honda is close.

Rev matching, threshold braking, vehicle balancing , throttle steering are skills that will be lost shortly.

Progress is good but those things will always mean something to me and I think many others

( sorry for the off topic rant)
Old 11-18-2014, 06:04 AM

Received 323 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by Ks320
For my guide, what OEM parts are no longer produced now ?
A couple: hardtop, ap1 front spoiler. I'm sure there are more.
Levi
Old 11-18-2014, 08:18 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

To add to that list, most of the OEM accessories including mats are out of production (I would love one of those nifty seat back pockets!).

Is it possible to buy complete seats? I'm only seeing them listed as individual parts.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...&catcgry5=SEAT

Quick Reply: Our s2000's are Aging