S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Out of state car purchase

Old 08-07-2002, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Zoinks
Thanks for all the input. It should help my friend in making her decision.

It's a 2003, Silverstone/Black with both spoilers and side strakes for MSRP. They will deliver the car on a flatbed truck to her door at no charge.
That doesn't sound like a great deal to me. You can get sub $30K in Chicago. Read this post:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=72835
Old 08-07-2002, 10:38 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Maveric
[B]
That doesn't sound like a great deal to me.
Old 08-07-2002, 11:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Sky15
Are taxes here in Ohio is 5.75%
This depends on the county in Ohio. Sales tax in Summit County is 5.75%, but Cuyahoga County is 7%. Depends on where you reside, not buy. I have no idea how the out of state deal works.
Old 08-07-2002, 11:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kalcium
[B]

Guys,

My '02 came from Jay Honda in Cleveland and I live in Michigan. I drove down and got a great deal from them. The registration issue is a bit unelegant. But the dealership typically hires a title company that does complex paperwork (charges anywhere from $40 to $120). They gave me temproary plates valid for 30 days and then they sent my registration in the mail before the temps expired.
Old 08-07-2002, 11:30 AM
Banned

I bought my car in new hampshire but im from va. They put a one way transportation tag valid for 3 days and I brought it back here and payed va sales tax. check if they do the same in ohio.
Old 08-07-2002, 11:41 AM

One of my colleagues avoided paying any sales tax on his $40+,000 MB by getting a po box in Montana (no state sales tax) and registering his new car purchase under that mailing address. Then he kept the car registered in Montana for a year, then transferred the registration to Texas, where he has always lived.
Is it worth the hassle? Heck, I stand in line at Best Buy for an hour for a free stack of CD-R's the day after thanksgiving...
Old 08-07-2002, 11:54 AM

i had a bit of concern over this type of issue when i was looking for my S. i found my babie in Texas and asked around A LOT about out of state purchases (my main concern was if it would pass smog in California.. visual inspection that is). in any case i later found it to be 50-state legal, so i went ahead with the transaction. had the car shipped from Texas to California for about $600. i paid a small fee for a dealership out here to take a "courtesy delivery" for me and prep the car. they re-did the PDI for me to insure the other dealership got the spacers out etc. they also took care of all the DMV paperwork, so all i had to do was call my insurance to add the car. i showed up at the dealership, and found my babie sitting in front parked alone waiting for me to take her home. wish i'd brough my camera that day.

anyways, i called about 8 dealerships and only 1 would do the "courtesy delivery." most were insulted because i didn't buy the S through them. i'm getting tons of calls recently from tardy dealers trying to offer me deals on colors i didn't even request.

best of luck. if i had to do it again, i would have looked in chicago for a cheaper price. my deal was ok, but it could have been better.
Old 08-07-2002, 01:03 PM

Ahh, the PO Box thing. Very shrewd. Used to work well.
Most states' DMVs now know of the good old "PO Box trick". It won't work unless you are dealing with someone who really doesn't care when you register, and don't bet on that.
Feel free to try it, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.
You can try, if you have friends, parents, or sibilings that live in a state with low or no sales tax, to register the car at their address and then transfer the title to the new address. I mean, who is to know that you aren't living there as a guest and then you moved? That type of thing happens, and it isn't illegal to change your place of residence. But this of course involves coordination and work on your part, so you have to justify the cost in time for the savings in money.
And of course, don't do anything illegal. I don't know what the laws are, to be honest.
Old 08-07-2002, 01:39 PM

One thing to make sure you get is the MSO. (Manufactures certificate of origination). Without it you won't be able to title the car in any state. Since normally the dealer handles all that paperwork, salemen are not used to providing it directly to the buyer. Don't leave the dealer without it! George
Old 08-07-2002, 06:03 PM

Originally posted by GeorgeP
One thing to make sure you get is the MSO. (Manufactures certificate of origination). Without it you won't be able to title the car in any state. Since normally the dealer handles all that paperwork, salemen are not used to providing it directly to the buyer. Don't leave the dealer without it! George
LOL!!!! GeorgeP, Not to be picky but I think you mean Manufacturer's Statement of Origin, right? Otherwise, it'd be called an MCO

Quick Reply: Out of state car purchase