S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Oversteer mangability on both Ap1s and Ap2's

Old 02-23-2011, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDan,Feb 23 2011, 08:19 PM
It's not when you're ON the gas that the AP1 will bite. It's when you get *OFF* the gas (or stab the brakes).

Too many people in these forums seem to equate too much throttle with oversteer. Sure, in 1st gear (or in a car with more serious power/weight), maybe, but *generally* on the gas => understeer and OFF the gas (or on the brakes) => oversteer.
thats totally correct, i was not saying it had oversteers by stepping on gas, it just somehow feels a bit scary at that moment. i would say the car reacted different compare to my ap2. or maybe it was the tires.

for the off gas oversteer, ap1 is alot more sensitive to it compare to ap2 for sure.

overall, i liked ap1 more, it just more fun to drive, it actually forcing you to focus on driving.

GL on finding your S
Old 02-24-2011, 02:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to OP - try to find an 02-03 if possible. You'll be glad you have the glass rear window down the road.

I test drove both ap1 and ap2 AP2 felt faster. If you are going to drop money on mods, wait a littler longer and get an ap2.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:47 AM

It took me a while to get used to my ap1. Durring that first initial oversteer at the beginning of a corner the car does feel a little sketchy. You just have to get over that first "oh sh*t" feeling until that rear toe comes in. Then the car feels like it's on rails. It becomes very predictable after doing it a few times. One driver at an autox event that I went to at miller motorsport park gave me some good advice too. He told me I wasn't leaning into my corners hard enough. It sounds stupid but it actually masks any feelings of oversteer and gives you a little more confidence going into the corner. Just a little beginner's advice.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:54 AM

It's not as prone to oversteer as some people make it sound. That said a RWD, LSD equipped car is going to be easy to oversteer for someone used to the handling of a FWD car.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:01 AM

i just want to say, watch out when you go from your winter car to your S

I've been driving my 99 legacy wagon the last couple months, took the S to work yesterday seeing as it was nice and sunny. the car was just begging to be driven

never really noticed how quick the steering ratio was in this car(AP1) until I went from a normal car to this(before the S was an 04 STI)

moral is, go easy on the wheel the first few times back in your S
Old 02-24-2011, 09:11 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Flyinglakland,Feb 23 2011, 09:49 PM
Hello all, I am new to the forum, and I have learned alot already. I currently own an 06 focus with a manual transmission. I hope so much to upgrade to a s2k for my second car before/as I go to college, and I have heard that ap1s have an oversteer tendency. I will probably only be able to afford an earlier model ap1. Having said that, how easy is the oversteer to manage on it? Like if I start to go around a round-a-bout a little too quickly in the wet, is it hard to recover or is unpredictable under sliding condtions?

Thank you!
Jesse
Do you have a lead foot?

Do you drive with one hand on the wheel and the other laid out to rest?

Do you love launching cars and frequently indulge in slam-shifting to impress passing plebians or members of the opposite sex?

Do you disregard standard maintenance on your Focus? For eg., drive it untill the cords start showing through the tires or a breakdown requires a trip to the mechanic.

If you answered YES to any of the questions above, the S2000 may not be for you. Dont be discouraged for I'm not trying to put you off of buying the car. The thing is if you have any of the traits above, but are willing to be a better driver, then it makes sense to get the car.

Treat it well and there is no other car as rewarding as the S2000 to drive. Buy it for any other reason but pure unadulterated driving fun, and it will bite you where it hurts at the first opportunity.

As several people above have said, driver error is a leading cause of damage and accidents. As long as you are careful, know your limits and drive within them, know your cars condition and dont overdrive its limits, you will be just fine.

Don't be put off by oversteer. If anything, it will teach you how to be a better driver. Years from now, the S2000 will hold a special place in your heart because of all it taught you.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:18 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Get an s2000.

If oversteer concerns are the only thing holding you back, realize over steer is a driver-error, inherently, not a mechanical defect separating AP1 vs. AP2.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:38 AM

Wow what an overwhelming response! Thank you all for your opinion, it is really interesting to read what you all had to say. Unfortunately this is not the reason I am holding back from buying a used ap1. I have the money to buy one, but if I did jump in now, my funding for everything else would be lacking, as I'm going into college next year. I have a job, but using the money from that to save for college, I am aiming for attaining $3k in extra odd job money before I purchase just to be financially safe. If anyone has any ideas on how to scrap up a few bucks, I'm all ears! Haha

As far as my driving style, I am not lead footed, and my hands are always on the wheel when I am not shifting. I am joining a local track club whenever I make the decision as well. I want to feel as safe as possible in my S.
I have also heard that some spins are because the driver does not blip the throttle on the way down. Should I do this when I'm entering a turn?

Thank you!
Jesse
Old 02-24-2011, 11:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As said above, that is a driving error. Spinning is going to be a driver error 99% of the time.

You should always blip the throttle when downshifting, so that the engagement is smooth, and doesn't use up any tire grip.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:33 PM

Agree with others. Drive normally and it's a non-issue. Save it for the track.

Slightly off topic, since it sounds like you're cash strapped, you might also want to check insurance rates as your planning for this purchase. I'd imagine for it to be way higher than your Focus.

Quick Reply: Oversteer mangability on both Ap1s and Ap2's