S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

owning an s2000 with kids?

Old 06-07-2012, 12:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default owning an s2000 with kids?

I've searched out a couple of threads generally similar to this, but not exactly quite what I was looking for.

How many of you guys have managed to keep or still purchase an s2k with young/newborn children? or did you feel like you had to pick up something along the lines of an sti/evo to fill both (fun driving/room for baby) needs at once? or do you just have a daily beater on the side? if so, do you feel like you're better off having a beater for family purposes and the s2k to drive and not worry about breaking/being down?

The s2k has been very elusive to me since it came out,when I could finally afford to get one,circumstances called for something else so I got an is250 instead, then I got stationed (military) overseas (japan) which I'm not complaining about, had the chance to own an r33, s15, and currently an evo V since being out here, but the wife and I are currently expecting a baby and should be back somewhere stateside within less than a year so Im doing some brainstorming/researching..

the STI/EVO are obvious first choices to meet the demands of anyone who loves to drive and needs room for kids,but at the same time,they are gas guzzlers for daily duties/have their fair share of maintenance costs, chances of experiencing downtime, not "true" sports cars, are not convertibles, and so on.

I hate the thought of having to drive a boring POS from time to time, but at the same time having a sporty daily has it's damn I need a 2nd car moments as well (like getting stuck in traffic with a twin plate clutch) or downtime..

just wondering what you guys have done personally when you faced similar crossroads in your lives and how it's working out for you..

thanks and sorry for the long post
Old 06-07-2012, 01:47 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

understand where you are coming from as I've got my 5 mth old son to ferry around.

My view is get a 2nd car. I have a legacy gt wagon as a family car and kept the S as my fun car. Legacy is relatively reliable, automatic, torquey, comfy for those long drives , has 4wd for the rainy days and a ton of boot space (stroller, toys, groceries, etc etc). Of course a boost up tune with legal mufflers and some coilovers do improve the drive

That said, the S is rock solid reliable but i think its more practical to separate the modified sports car from the daily family car as you don't really want to handle breakdowns when you are ferrying the kid to and fro from regular outings.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 2 sports cars and my lady is 10 years younger than me. I've never been married and no kids.

I guess I'm not really one with much advice for you. Having another car is a good idea. Keep the S as a toy.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:45 AM

I had my S before I had my kids , so the S stays ...its grandfathered in ...thats what I told my wife Bought An 05 Tl as a dd and a Honda Pilot for my wife and kids . Anything to keep the s for life is what I'm prepared to do ...its a life time love affair I never want to end
Old 06-07-2012, 12:54 PM

Get a 370z
Old 06-07-2012, 01:31 PM

I have a second, beater car by necessity (with an 8 and 11 year old), but find it desirable anyway. This way, my S will never see snow, and the driving I do which is more utility based (most, really) won't pile the miles on the S. Be sure and get an aftermarket kill switch, though, if you will have an infant in the car!
Old 06-07-2012, 01:31 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Wife drives an '08 Civic and I have my '08 S2000. I had an S2000 while my daughter was 4-6 years old, sold it, then bought another when my second kid (son) was 2 years old. We plan on getting a third car for me for winter but it'll be relatively cheap (probably a Mazda5 so we can use it for longer trips and have more comfort).

In short, two vehicles will handle the needs of a family without any issues.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:06 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

through 2 kids, i kept my 2000 honda civic Si- remember, these have 2 doors...still have it in fact as a daily. Got my s2000 last father's day...kids are 6 and 9 now.

if you can, never get rid of your S. I don't care if your wife/girlfriend says to get rid of it...tell her to get rid of some jewelery first, then you'll get rid of your S.

good luck

darcy
Old 06-07-2012, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by darcyw
I don't care if your wife/girlfriend says to get rid of it...tell her to get rid of some jewelery first, then you'll get rid of your S.

good luck

darcy
Great line! I would just get rid of the girlfriend in that situation though.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by darcyw
through 2 kids, i kept my 2000 honda civic Si- remember, these have 2 doors...still have it in fact as a daily. Got my s2000 last father's day...kids are 6 and 9 now.

if you can, never get rid of your S. I don't care if your wife/girlfriend says to get rid of it...tell her to get rid of some jewelery first, then you'll get rid of your S.

good luck

darcy
same thing happened to me the girlfriend HATES the S.

OT : Trust me you'll regret losing that S. Few friend of mine sold their S because of wife/gf/family/whatever, and I hear them complaining about it every time when we go grab a drink and I drive my S there lol

yes, I limit myself to half a bottle or a bottle of beer. No hard liquor for me when I have the S around!

Quick Reply: owning an s2000 with kids?