S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

passenger window and top won't go down

Old 07-18-2006, 05:08 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Chazmo,Jul 18 2006, 07:39 PM
Parking brake on?
Exactly what I was thinking.

You must have the handbrake set, and you must not be moving. (Unless you modify stuff.)
Old 07-18-2006, 06:16 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I touched upon these two subjects but he has not made any comments about either.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes the parking brake is on guys. i even stuck my finger inside and hit the button a few times in case it was sticking or something.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:11 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Very unusual.

I'm with xv on the road speed sensor. I'm not sure what else would cause the whole mechanism not to work. Perhaps the controller itself that handles the top. Maybe it needs to be replaced.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:49 PM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

If you are sitting in the drivers seat when you hit the top-down switch, shift your weight to your left bun, and close your right eye half way. If that doesn't work, try only inhaling as you do the above.

(truly sorry for your problems, thought a little humor might make you feel better)
Old 07-20-2006, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Chazmo,Jul 19 2006, 06:11 PM
Very unusual.

I'm with xv on the road speed sensor. I'm not sure what else would cause the whole mechanism not to work. Perhaps the controller itself that handles the top. Maybe it needs to be replaced.
The speed sensor would only account for the top not operating, but not for the passenger window not working. Very unusual indeed.

For mrmumbels, did you check to see if the "BRAKE" light is on on the dash when the hand-brake is up? If the switch that detects the brake is up is not working, the light will not come on even if you "stuck my finger inside and hit the button a few times".

It does not seem logical that the two problems are related, but from your descriptions, they seem to stop working and start working at the same time. Very unusual.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by mrmumbels,Jul 18 2006, 04:23 PM
xviper, the only thing that worked was the driver window from any switches.
I'm sure now that it's all working, this has become less pressing for you.

See, this statement contradicts one you made earlier. Before, you said this:
when i hit the button for the top to go down nothing happens.
This means no windows or top functions. Yet, the latest quoted statement, you say only the driver's window goes down.
I know your name is "Mr. Mumbels", but a bit of clarity would help, here.

You may not care for the moment, but the following questions need to be answered, if not for us, for you, the next time thing acts up:
(From when it wasn't working)
1. When you use the driver's door button for the driver's window, does it work?
2. When you use the driver's door button for the pass. window, does it work?
3. When you use the pass. door button for the pass. window, does it work?
4. With car stopped and ebrake pulled, when you try to lower the top using the top button, what works? Ignition is ON, right?

Toggle the window lock button to make sure it's not partially thrown.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:03 PM

1. When you use the driver's door button for the driver's window, does it work? Yes
2. When you use the driver's door button for the pass. window, does it work? no
3. When you use the pass. door button for the pass. window, does it work? no
4. With car stopped and ebrake pulled, when you try to lower the top using the top button, what works? Ignition is ON, right? nothing works with the ignition on of course
Old 07-20-2006, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteS2k,Jul 20 2006, 10:44 AM
The speed sensor would only account for the top not operating, but not for the passenger window not working. Very unusual indeed.

For mrmumbels, did you check to see if the "BRAKE" light is on on the dash when the hand-brake is up? If the switch that detects the brake is up is not working, the light will not come on even if you "stuck my finger inside and hit the button a few times".

It does not seem logical that the two problems are related, but from your descriptions, they seem to stop working and start working at the same time. Very unusual.
good point there. i did not check to see if the light came on in the dash. i will have to wait till next time it breaks.but this is the 3rd time it's happened in the last 6 months so it's bound to do it again.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:55 PM

You've got possibly two things going on that's not right (windows and top). Your pass. window did not work no matter what combination of things you did. The top button doesn't work anything (both windows and top).
The pass. window is dependent upon the lock-out switch on the driver's door controls. However, the top switch will defeat the lock-out switch whenever it's used and should make both windows operate.
You have one of the following acting up:
- The master window control switch on the driver's door (which incorporates the power window control unit).
- Convertible top control unit (behind the passengers knee panel).
- Convertible top switch.
The tests for these are quite extensive. I'm afraid you'll have to wait till it acts up again and take it in to have them do all the tests on these components.

The speed sensor and ebrake switch has no bearing upon the window operation when using the window switches. The fact that the pass. window will not work with either switch is baffling.

Quick Reply: passenger window and top won't go down