S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

The pikey-price option

Old 01-27-2009, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The pikey-price option

Hi there

Sorry to go wanding in there with a question for my first post (and quite a heavy-going one at that)

Been a member of a few forums over the years, and newbies tend to get flamed for not using the search button - but I've no idea how I'd find this, even if it's been asked before

I have a problem -

I've fallen in love with an 06 S2000 in New Formula Red - 26,000miles and just about affordable

Now part of me thinks, as it appears that the only difference is a new pair of headlights, tail-lights, front & rear bumpers and a set of alloys... why wouldn't I get an 01-02 plate pre-facelift model with maybe twice the miles, but for half the price ? And spend very little of the 'savings' on the parts needed to upgrade it to 06 spec

(assuming that I'd try to leave the car 'standard' after that, as it would be everything I'd ever wanted it to be from the start)

I've got a private reg that I'd put on it to hide the age, so has anyone tried this before and run into problems ? Expensive problems, like finding the headlights are subtely different ??

Was there more to the 05 facelift than simple, exernal cosmetics ?
Old 01-27-2009, 01:57 PM

Lets not forget about the engine and tranny being different.
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=483593 this thread gives you an overview of changes between 2003 and 2004 (between AP1 and AP2 models that you are talking about)
Old 01-27-2009, 02:06 PM

Received 223 Likes on 166 Posts

I think the UK version was still rocking the 2.0 liter engine.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:11 PM

Suspension upgrades, they redesigned it when they changed it to AP2.
Biggest difference between '00-'03 and '04-'09
f20C in America '00-'03: 9k rev limiter
f22C in America '04-'09: 8k rev limiter +hp/torque

Few color option changes as well.

Look at the FAQ some and learn about the car before you even think of buying it.
s2ki faq

You should be aware of stuff like how the s2k is low torque compared to a lot of cars, and the Cobalt SS will outrun it, but it is a fun car.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:55 PM

This is just the sort of thing I'm on about...

Thanks guys, I can see I'm going to enjoy it here
Old 01-27-2009, 04:01 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Heck, here in the States you can pick up a rough looking AP1 for ~$14k and put a few thousand in a bodykit and get THIS for under $20k....

Old 01-27-2009, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by CKit' date='Jan 27 2009, 05:01 PM
Heck, here in the States you can pick up a rough looking AP1 for ~$14k and put a few thousand in a bodykit and get THIS for under $20k....

you can get a rough AP1 for under 10K these days, at least in Socal.

imo that S2000 has got to be worth more than 20K tho
Old 01-27-2009, 07:18 PM

Mickey: I'll tell ya what. I'll do it for a caravan.
Turkish: For what?
Pikeys: For a caravan.
Tommy: It was us who wanted a caravan.
[looking around]
Tommy: Anyway, what's wrong with this one?
Mickey: It's not for me. It's for me ma.
Turkish: Your what?
Pikeys: His ma.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnjohn86' date='Jan 27 2009, 06:11 PM
you can get a rough AP1 for under 10K these days, at least in Socal.

imo that S2000 has got to be worth more than 20K tho
i dont know i bought my 07 for 20700 with 7k miles...
and i've seen better.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:31 AM

Here in dallas I'd say you can get an okay, maybe salvage ap1 for around 9-11k, and an '04-'05 in good condition for about 14-15k.
When I started looking for an s2k I found most had been wrecked into, some owners even just plain lied to me. If you find an s2k you love, and you don't notice anything bad, no matter what the owner says if it is not an '08-'09 take it to a mechanic or honda dealership to get checked out.

First s2k I looked at a GPW a forum member was selling, he straight out told me the problems because if I didn't buy it he was going to quickly trade it in at a dealership. He had spun out and wrecked into a wall or something with his rear bumper.

Second s2k Berlina Black I found one on craiglist, looked at it in person, seller said he worked for a dealership and had it checked out and all. Seriously? I took it to a honda dealership and they found it had been wrecked into even though craigslist said nothing (Craigslist is only good for seeing how many owners a car has had) and the paint was covered in paint from running over it or something.

Third s2k went to a shady dealership. Other forum members had actually gone to check out the s2k and with monthly payments it would come out to 35k haha. My father and I went though and we talked them down, and they told us the internet price was really 1,000 less than it really was. We managed to talk them 1,000 off the internet price. Took it to the dealership to get checked out and they found only cosmetic problems like the 12v electrical socket pulled right out.
When we had been at the shady dealership they had said they had their mechanics check it out, and we called Bull**** because the side marker was literally taped on. Before we bought it we had them repair the few problems.
So we bought that one. I finally got off my lazy butt and ordered bumper plugs a week ago, got them, and took off the license plate, and the cadillac delaership had drilled holes above previously installed bumper plugs making it so I have to fix the bumper >.<.

Things I suggest checking for before buying an s2k
1. Have it inspected for frame damage from being in wrecks
2. Check under the car to see if it has curb rash or any problems
3. Test drive it to see if it has any problems, and if you can't tell if there are any the inspection in step 1 should help as well.

When I got my s2k I revved it to look for any smoke, and white smoke came out, but plain white smoke doesn't seem to be a problem.

Quick Reply: The pikey-price option