S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

RANT- Sell or not?

Old 02-20-2019, 09:04 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

A 2001 Subaru Outback Sport with the 2.2 and an automatic transmission is the best mod you can give your S2000.

Seriously, buy a wagon beater. 2.2L Subarus are preferred for their reliability and solid headgaskets. I grabbed mine from a college student for $1100 with a new timing belt and battery installed by the dealer via her father. It is amazing... shitty, but amazing.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:03 PM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I wouldn't even think of driving the S2000 in snow, especially if they lay salt down on the roads. My S2000 and NSX will both be stored until the snows have ended and until after we've had a couple of good, roadsalt-clearing rains. As everyone else is saying, get another used car, if not 4WD then at least front wheel drive, and get something reliable.

Last edited by jeffreygebhart; 02-20-2019 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:37 PM

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

I echo all above comments except I say stay Honda and get a K24 CRV- you won’t regret it.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:07 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Your life circumstances changed & are changing. Sounds like it's not for you right now. If you must go down to one car, I don't see how the S2K would be a good single-car car. Sell it now and pick up another in a few years. You'll regret it but I think in that situation no matter what you do, you'll have some things to be happy about and some things to regret.

What you'd probably regret more is creating a difficult debt-hole that you got trapped in for years.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:37 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

With two dogs you might want to look at a Honda Pilot, too
Old 02-20-2019, 05:48 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

To the OP, hey there fellow Nebraskan S2k owner! I don't drive my S2k in the winter here because it just wouldn't work well in the snow plus all the salt on the roads. I have a Jeep for my daily driver. So, I think you've got a good setup with the Land Rover as your daily. But I also understand what you mean about those not being known for reliability. If the S2K is paid off, I would just keep it. And if the reliability of the Land Rover is an issue then sell it and get a more reliable daily.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:49 PM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

If you are fully committed to owning just one vehicle then sell the S2000 and buy another one later when the time is right. It sounds like you'll still need to find a different vehicle that you can trust and that meets your current needs. Enjoy the dogs as they are irreplaceable. I'm not sure what size your dogs are, but after owning a few big Golden Retrievers (each weighing 100+ pounds) in their final years, I've come to appreciate smaller wagons with their lower points of access in the back.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:43 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

I had an AH sprite at age 25 until it was rear ended by a tractor trailer truck at a stop light. It was 40 years until I could afford to have another roadster. Sometimes you have to be patient and take care of business first.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright guys Ive been reading all the comments and I really appreciate you guys for helping out in a legitimate time of need for me. Ive reasonably came to conclusion that I should sell the Land Rover which will give me a couple thousand, save some more during spring, summer, fall, and buy a reliable winter beater. I think the main reason I feel like I only need one car is because the Land Rovers maintenance intervals is like nothing ive ever seen before and made me scared that that was the situation for owning two cars no matter what. Like I mentioned before, I absolutely love everything about the s2k so I dont want to sell at all. I also love the Subi advice from you guys, I used to have an STi so I'm pretty familiar with them. Also hello fellow Nebraskan! lol
Old 02-21-2019, 04:57 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Chr1s7ian
Alright guys Ive been reading all the comments and I really appreciate you guys for helping out in a legitimate time of need for me. Ive reasonably came to conclusion that I should sell the Land Rover which will give me a couple thousand, save some more during spring, summer, fall, and buy a reliable winter beater. I think the main reason I feel like I only need one car is because the Land Rovers maintenance intervals is like nothing ive ever seen before and made me scared that that was the situation for owning two cars no matter what. Like I mentioned before, I absolutely love everything about the s2k so I dont want to sell at all. I also love the Subi advice from you guys, I used to have an STi so I'm pretty familiar with them. Also hello fellow Nebraskan! lol
As someone that bought an 05 STi off the showroom floor... AVOID THE TEMPTATION TO GET A TURBO SUBIE AS YOUR BEATER CAR. It will be strong. You must fight it.

Quick Reply: RANT- Sell or not?