S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Rattle/ Ringing noise when Revs fall ?

Old 04-10-2016, 03:51 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Default Rattle/ Ringing noise when Revs fall ?

Hello,

Lately I have started to hear noise coming out of my engine, I can sometimes hear the noise good mostly after driving hard and I lift off the accelerator at around 4k down to 3k rpm I hear ringing noise from engine bay, The sound is very nasty. Think it is the Timing chain don't know

After coming home and open up the hood and rev up the engine I can hear a Rattle noise, something like the Timing chain,

When at Idle, the engine seems to sound ok.

The TCT was done at 128,113km now it has 136 332km it was (sandblasted)

My question also is, At what Point Should I change My Timing Chain ? At How many km?

Also The engine has its age and its gone through a bit, at now I am driving with Castrol 0W30 Edge, Should I change to something bit more ticker on my next service ? (just Wanna save those engine components), or what I am driving is my best option ?

Thank You.

If More info needed Please tell Me...
Old 04-10-2016, 04:46 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Just sandblasting the TCT seems a temporary fix. Time to do it again. Or fit a new OEM or aftermarket part.

-- Chuck
Old 04-10-2016, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.S2000Ap2
Hello,

Lately I have started to hear noise coming out of my engine, I can sometimes hear the noise good mostly after driving hard and I lift off the accelerator at around 4k down to 3k rpm I hear ringing noise from engine bay, The sound is very nasty. Think it is the Timing chain don't know

After coming home and open up the hood and rev up the engine I can hear a Rattle noise, something like the Timing chain,

My question also is, At what Point Should I change My Timing Chain ? At How many km?

Also The engine has its age and its gone through a bit, at now I am driving with Castrol 0W30 Edge, Should I change to something bit more ticker on my next service ? (just Wanna save those engine components), or what I am driving is my best option ?

Thank You.

I had a "Buzzing" or maybe what you consider a "ringing" at the same spot in rev range.
Does it sound like this??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZgNQ4Re7vM#t=40

That isn't my video, but I had EXACT sound and it wound up being heat shield rattle and my mechanic drilled out rusted rivets and put in new nut and bolts..... Solved....
Old 04-11-2016, 08:41 AM

Received 1,308 Likes on 990 Posts

Get a Billman TCT. I think he ships overseas. It has a lifetime warranty. Will need to ship your old one back to him as a core. Your sandblasted TCT is not going to last, nor is a new one from Honda.

But, I agree with above poster that your current issue sounds more like a heat shield rattle.

Sent from my SM-G920P using IB AutoGroup
Old 04-11-2016, 12:31 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lazyrider69
Originally Posted by Mr.S2000Ap2' timestamp='1460289065' post='23933580
Hello,

Thank You.

I had a "Buzzing" or maybe what you consider a "ringing" at the same spot in rev range.

That isn't my video, but I had EXACT sound and it wound up being heat shield rattle and my mechanic drilled out rusted rivets and put in new nut and bolts..... Solved....
Thanks for helping out, I think it is that sound, I will check the heat shield if its loose.

My other question is, should I change Oil to something bit ticker (running 0W30) something like 5W40/10W30, Or is there any point in changing to ticker oil ? Will ticker Oil save the engine bit more???

Thanks Again.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:29 PM

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

No, thicker oil won't help save your engine. If anything it may cause more engine wear. That's because you're not going to get as good flow at startup.

That 0W-30 you're using is a great choice. IMO, you shouldn't make a change.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lazyrider69' timestamp='1460327234' post='23933984
[quote name='Mr.S2000Ap2' timestamp='1460289065' post='23933580']
Hello,

Thank You.

Thanks for helping out, I think it is that sound, I will check the heat shield if its loose.

My other question is, should I change Oil to something bit ticker (running 0W30) something like 5W40/10W30, Or is there any point in changing to ticker oil ? Will ticker Oil save the engine bit more???

Thanks Again.
[/quote]

I use Castrol 06241 EDGE 10W-30 Extended Performance Synthetic Motor Oil. Had a valve adjustment by the S2000 master Billman last year. Also bought one of his TCT and him install and my engine is purring. My engine and original Ap1 valve retainers all perfect...

I wouldn't worry about using 10w30 oil. In fact, I think that is what Honda always has recommended for our cars.

Check the heat shield for that sound and once car is quiet, you will worry less and enjoy it more.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:20 AM

Received 1,308 Likes on 990 Posts

Thanks Again.
0w-30 is superior to 10w-30. Even in hot climates, 10w does not offer as much protection for a cold (not warmed up) engine.

Sent from my SM-G920P using IB AutoGroup
Old 04-12-2016, 10:13 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Two posible sources of the rattling sound, one is your CAT internals have separated within the CAT or the heat shielding for the headers or CAT is loose.