S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

really......

Old 06-09-2013, 03:48 PM

Received 192 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by xviper
Exactly! People get so bent out of shape just because they don't get a response from someone who just happens to drive the same car. Other than the car, they may have absolutely nothing in common with you. They may own the car for reasons totally different from you. I got this BS 13 years ago when I posted the same thing. Why should someone wave back at a total stranger just because they drive the same kind of car? You think the car is special? Great! They may not. It may just be a nice looking car they decided to own for a while. They don't care if someone else owns one.
So you wave. They don't wave back. Dear Ann Landers .........................
Dang, xviper! You make me look downright calm and placid. Lol!
Old 06-09-2013, 05:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s1mba
Originally Posted by Jax2k' timestamp='1370807671' post='22596936
I wave/flash my high beams at every s2k I see.

If I get a wave back then I know that they know what a mechanically profound machine they are operating and want to share the love. They are an enthusiast.

If I dont get a wave back they either didnt see me, is an older woman who has no idea the type of machine she is driving and just got it because she liked the styling, or a young swag fag who is into the slammed scene.
"swag fag" lmao ..but yeah happened to me a few times down here as well
They call them "swaggots" where im from
Old 06-09-2013, 05:41 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Every S2K driver here waves back

Some of the Miata and MG guys do too. It's a convertible thing.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

back in 73.. I walked into a BMW dealer in Lake Forest Ill..the sales guy who went with me for a test drive.. remarked about other BMW's which drove past, and that owners waved at each other.. later, I think I read in like Car an Driver, a story about porche owners and apparently they wave at each other as well.. except I seem to recall some mention about if you owned one of the 914's.. you wave an hope for a reply... it doesn't matter.. it's the thought that counts.. good well towards others.. simple as that...
Old 06-09-2013, 06:23 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

And yet, if you're sitting in a restaurant and you see someone wearing a Rolex just like yours, do you wave? If you come across someone on the jogging path wearing "toe shoes", do you wave? If you see a redneck in a pick up truck with nuts hanging under the rear bumper just like yours, do you wave? If you see a car with a Mickey Mouse head stuck on the end of his antenna just like you do, do you wave? Forums like this make it a "community" and those here can develop a sense of belonging. In the "real" world, it's only a community in the mind of the beholder. Not everyone is of the same mind. Waving is a nice gesture but if they don't wave back, nothing to get your feelings hurt over.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed, What he said ^
Old 06-10-2013, 12:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're a baby if your feelings get hurt over someone that you don't know doesn't wave back at you... If they do then great, if not then cry me a river.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:52 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

I appreciate the acknowledgement of owner comradery.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:25 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

With all due respect to someone who has been on these forums for almost as long as I have and who have gone to meets that I have gone to .........
"Comradery" is a developed thing, a nurtured thing. It does not come from simply buying something and owning it. It comes from meeting someone and then determining that there is more common ground. It comes from knowing a little bit more about someone and deciding that what we've learned is a basis for further interaction.
This thread isn't so much about showing kinship to another because they happen to own the same sort of "thing", special as it may be to some. It's about getting annoyed or insulted when that other "owner" doesn't acknowledge your gesture.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:35 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by xviper
With all due respect to someone who has been on these forums for almost as long as I have and who have gone to meets that I have gone to .........
"Comradery" is a developed thing, a nurtured thing. It does not come from simply buying something and owning it. It comes from meeting someone and then determining that there is more common ground. It comes from knowing a little bit more about someone and deciding that what we've learned is a basis for further interaction.
This thread isn't so much about showing kinship to another because they happen to own the same sort of "thing", special as it may be to some. It's about getting annoyed or insulted when that other "owner" doesn't acknowledge your gesture.
^THIS...

Quick Reply: really......