S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

removal of stock roll hoops?

Old 05-20-2009, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down removal of stock roll hoops?

hey guys, can anybody help me with this? i need to remove my driver side roll hoop (the plastic) to get to the seatbel that i have to replace. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:53 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

DO NOT REMOVE the PLASTIC FROM THE ROLL HOOPS.

The roll bar and plastic cover are sold as a single part number. If you do remove them, you will never get them back together.

The seat belt retractor can be accessed from the trunk, however I belive that you have to remove the rear plastic deck to access the retractors.

Do your self a favor and buy the OEM service manual. http://www.helminc.com. It will save you the cost of the manual by stopping you from damaging the car.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:06 AM

you have to remove the "rear plastic deck" to access the retractors.

is that inside the trunk or where the soft top folds?
Old 05-20-2009, 09:33 AM

where the soft top folds
Old 05-20-2009, 09:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a couple methods of approach.

Most just pull the roll hoop and plastic together (relatively easy).

And it's not true that you can't get the halves of the roll hoop plastics back together (I recently did it with black RTV), it's just easier to never separate them in the first place.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:25 PM

FYI, you don't need to take out the roll hoop to get at seatbelt. Seat belt tensioners are located on the back of the OEM bulkhead. One has blue top and one has pink top.

DO NOT UNPLUG THE BELTS UNLESS YOUR BATTERY IS UNPLUGGED
If you do, they will lock up and you have to buy new ones to be able to use them again.

and as stratocaster said, DO NOT REMOVE THE BLACK PLASTIC FROM THE ROLLHOOPS because they will never ever stay together after this.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Neutered Sputniks,May 20 2009, 10:45 AM
And it's not true that you can't get the halves of the roll hoop plastics back together (I recently did it with black RTV), it's just easier to never separate them in the first place.
RTV is good stuff, but don't be surprised if after a few years you have issues. There is no need to take the plastic off in the first place, so it is better not to do so.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:40 PM

you have some knowledgeable members posting in your thread. do not ignore them.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,May 20 2009, 05:11 PM
RTV is good stuff, but don't be surprised if after a few years you have issues. There is no need to take the plastic off in the first place, so it is better not to do so.
I agree that it's better not to do so. Believe me, if I had known better, I never would've separated the hoops...

However, I'm attempting to counter the overly common myth that they cannot be put back together. I'm curious what problems the RTV would develop. Dry out? Worst case scenario would be that I'm back to the plastic hoops separated, at which point I can clean the groove and RTV again...

I'm pretty sure I didn't have my battery disconnected when I removed my seat belt (nor was it connected when I reinstalled the seat belt). Keep in mind that removing the seat belt assembly will cause the SRS light to be on unless you wire in a resistor (not sure the resistor value required)
Old 05-20-2009, 06:03 PM

There is no reason to sperate them in the first place. That is the key point.

now once you have sperated them, you have two choices: Replace them, or try and fix them. If you try to fix them, they will never be as good as they were before you sperated them. They were heat welded at teh factory to seal them in the first place. All glues will do it temp seal them. Sooner or later, the glue will lose it bond.

Quick Reply: removal of stock roll hoops?