S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Removing Softtop when adding Hardtop?

Old 06-26-2006, 03:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Removing Softtop when adding Hardtop?

Ok...so I installed my hardtop quite some time ago. My original plan was to pull the softtop out, have some extra space behind the seats and a cleaner look, as well as reduce some weight. I like the convience of being able to pull the hardtop off and have the softtop whenever I want, but in all honesty, without a house, I have nowhere to put the hardtop so I basically drive with the hardtop everywhere (like I originally thought I would). Well, instead of carrying this softtop around, I'd like to take it out.

The dilema is that the bracket on the softtop is spot welded to the softtop frame, and this bracket is used to mount the hardtop. Do any of you know if there is a place to buy just this bracket? Or something else that will work? Do I have to go to a local fabricator to have this made, or has somebody else thought/done this before me? I know a lot of strictly race cars use roll cages to mount the hardtops, but I don't want that, I still want it to basically look stock inside, just without the softop.

Thanks,
Eric
Old 06-26-2006, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you don't need that bracket. only difference is that u won't have to screw one bolt in.

let me know if you need some clarifying!
Old 06-26-2006, 10:02 PM

Yes, clarify please...

I can understand getting rid of that bracket completely but do you not need it? As a spacer? As something other stuff bolts into? Its been a couple months since I did the HT install so that bracket is not fresh in my mind, but...yes clarify.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the outer plate you remove and do not use any longer with the HT. the metal bracket that is basically the softtop frame comes out with the soft top, so you will lose 1 hole that recievers connect to, but the 2 holes that are apart of the car is more than enough to hold the recievers.

all of this may sound confusing now, but once you got everything removed it will be clear as day light
Old 06-27-2006, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by C4SxM5,Jun 26 2006, 11:57 PM
the outer plate you remove and do not use any longer with the HT. the metal bracket that is basically the softtop frame comes out with the soft top, so you will lose 1 hole that recievers connect to, but the 2 holes that are apart of the car is more than enough to hold the recievers.

all of this may sound confusing now, but once you got everything removed it will be clear as day light
Ya when I originally installed the hardtop, I had actually taken the entire softtop assembly out but then saw that the brackets on the other guys car appeared to be needed. I'm guessing though that I will need some spacers to keep the HT bracket away from the side of the car and to get everything to fit properly...Just pick them up at a hardware store? Also, recommend loctite on the bolts after this?