S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Replica Mugen Hardtop wind noise

Old 04-04-2011, 11:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Replica Mugen Hardtop wind noise

Hey guys,

I have had this top and when I first got it, had a bunch of noise coming from the side windows. ONce i seemed to have corrected that, when im driving over 70, I start hearing noice coming from the sun visor section. I dont feel any air but do hear it. I then cracked open a window and all of a sudden it stopped. I thought maybe the noise of the window was blocking out the noise from the front, but when i closed the window, it was quiet for about 2-3 sec and then it started to make noise. Can the cabin pressure be causing this to make noise? I have tried to tighten the latches but it doesnt seem to fix it.

Thanks
Old 04-04-2011, 11:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you tried getting some washers and putting them under your front latches so they pull down harder? You can also get a little kit on Ebay with spacers and new bolts for the latches for like $15, but you can get the washers for a couple cents at the hardware store.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Havent tried that yet. Ill go pick up some today to see if that works. Does it make sense when I open the window a bit the noise stops from that center section?
Old 04-04-2011, 11:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I would try that first. It has fixed that problem on many peoples hardtops.

Honestly I have no idea why it does it like you described. I wish I could help more on that part but don't have a clue.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is probably a stretch, but it may have to do with equalized pressure as you wondered. Ever seen a guy on a motorcycle with a loose jacket? It blows up like a balloon right? That's not because the jacket is catching air. It's because air inside the jacket expands due to the less resistant pressure from the air flowing quickly over the outside. That could explain the delayed noise when you close the window. As stated above, a few washers under the strikers will lower them and give you a tighter fitment. That should solve your problem.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhemi
Hey guys,

I have had this top and when I first got it, had a bunch of noise coming from the side windows. ONce i seemed to have corrected that, when im driving over 70, I start hearing noice coming from the sun visor section. I dont feel any air but do hear it. I then cracked open a window and all of a sudden it stopped. I thought maybe the noise of the window was blocking out the noise from the front, but when i closed the window, it was quiet for about 2-3 sec and then it started to make noise. Can the cabin pressure be causing this to make noise? I have tried to tighten the latches but it doesnt seem to fix it.

Thanks
How did you end up fixing the windnoise from the windows if you don't mind me asking? I am having the same problem right now,and my S is leaking water from the windows as well, I have an AP1 with the mugen replica top, not sure who its made by. Any help would be appreciated!
Ryan