S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Roadster at night = Eye level with ~90% of headlights!

Old 09-11-2017, 04:53 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

what is your age? With advancing age come lenticular changes- i.e. Cataracts. You may also be somewhat myopic or have light coloured eyes and larger pupils- which leads to night myopia- hence worser night vision.

Yes, amber tinted glasses may help reduce the glare. However, when approaching cars, look to the right lower edge of the road, not at the car approaching. You may benefit from night driving glasses which incorporate an antiglare feature and a slightly more myopic prescription. And as mentioned, keep your front windshield clear.

​​​​​​​darcy
Old 09-11-2017, 07:38 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Nearing 30. I have relatively terrible eyesight but I've gotten my eyes checked few months ago and seems that changes were said to be slightly better than few years ago by negligible amount. Not all the time this happens just sometimes way worse than others; side mirrors and rear view is usually zero problems. Frontal lighting blaring straight into my soul is the usual problem or some brake lights that're excessively bright.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:09 PM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
I've not noticed this at all with on coming traffic -- not that this helps anyone.

Or are we only talking about traffic behind? Automatic dimming was OEM on my S2000 so nothing annoying from there.

-- Chuck
What year did this happen? I never knew!
Old 09-11-2017, 09:43 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Tall vehicles' bright lights at night can bother me too. I'm blue eyed, and sensitive to bright sunlight during the day. My pupils do open up at night and that makes my eyes more sensitive to bright lights. I hadn't heard about prescription night glasses. I'll look into that.

I've been a fan of amber lens for low light conditions, including overcast days and snowy days. Ambermatics and Eagle Vision do increase low light contrast. I've not tried them for night vision.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:54 AM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Sorry if I'm sort of hijacking this thread, but on a related subject, I have a question for you guys: can someone please explain to me why so many drivers feel compelled to drive around in well-illuminated urban areas with their driving/fog lights on when they are clearly not needed? And for that matter, why does everyone drive around on bright, sunny days with their lights on? Granted some cars have daytime running lights but many of the cars that I observe are older and do not have them. Safety? I might agree if we're talking rural areas on 2-lane roads, but everywhere? I think that you could make an argument that in many instances using these lights runs counter to safety in that they tend to blind oncoming drivers. Prior to the advent of the DRL "fad" we drove around without lights on during the day and I don't recall people dying in large numbers on the roads because they couldn't see one another. If it's foggy or really hazy outside, then I'd buy it, but otherwise, no. I attended a Cars and Coffee event once where someone in a Toyota Celica had a whole row of large flood lights protruding from his grill and I don't think that he was engaging in any off-road driving at night! Perhaps he was fed up with being blinded by other cars and decided to return the favor.

Last edited by jeffreygebhart; 09-12-2017 at 04:56 AM.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:37 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Daytime running lights are proven to increase visibility and help to reduce accidents. They are supposed to operate at a lower intensity than nighttime headlights.
The USA was a late adopter of DRL.
I also see see fog lights used when not necessary, and that drives me nuts, too.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:30 AM

Received 1,563 Likes on 929 Posts

I leave the fog lights on, on my MDX all the time; I live in a rural area that butts up to an urban one. They do a good job illuminating all the critters that make a run for it crossing the road. Frankly, I forget they are on so in the urban environment they are on perhaps to the irritant of others.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:22 AM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by AZS2KDancer
Daytime running lights are proven to increase visibility and help to reduce accidents. They are supposed to operate at a lower intensity than nighttime headlights.
The USA was a late adopter of DRL.
I also see see fog lights used when not necessary, and that drives me nuts, too.
DRLs produce little to no benefits. https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api...ication/811029
There is no national requirement that vehicles be equipped with DRLs and many manufacturers include them as an optional item (can be switched off).

Properly aligned fog lights are useful (OEM), aftermarket ones are usually misaligned and not useful or less useful.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:59 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

The inside mirror is NOT self-dimming -- my mistake. It is dim-able, however.

The 10 year old DRL report only studied crashes. No mention in the summary (I ain't reading 110 pages!) regarding avoided crashes or near misses (a parameter in industrial safety). Regardless I believe in headlights or DRLs in the rural driving I spend much time on. If that farm wagon sees me and doesn't pull out and block the road for 5 miles is all I need. Fords seem to omit DRLs. My month old Expedition (tow vehicle) lacked them until I used Forscan to access the computer and enabled them.

-- Chuck
Old 09-12-2017, 12:54 PM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Both US and AU regulatory bodies have not found the results of the studies of their effectiveness a compelling reason to mandate them as a requirement for all vehicles. The effectiveness of them is hard to prove in countries with relatively high levels of sun light. I can understand them in Nordic countries and others where there are long periods of relatively low sun light, but if you can't see a car in broad daylight, then the DRLs aren't going to help.

Last edited by Fokker; 09-12-2017 at 02:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Roadster at night = Eye level with ~90% of headlights!