S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Rolled fender question... fender liner?

Old 07-30-2008, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rolled fender question... fender liner?

Hey everyone-

I got my front fender's rolled by a local dent repair place. The lip on each side now as a few dimples on it... They used the baseball bat method.

I have purchased an Eastwood professional rolling kit to smooth it out and to flare the fenders a bit for clearance on my rims.

I noticed that if I am to roll the entire metal front fender, that takes away my mounting point for the underbody that goes over the wheel...

For those with rolled fenders, what did you do with the fender-liner? Did you tuck it into the fold somehow? Cut it out? Attach it some other way?

I know i need to roll the mounting point, as the rubbing as already ripped one of the mounting snaps out (freeway overpasses)... They are rolled to the point where they no longer rub, but I am not sure what to do with the liner...

If this can be moved to a better forum, Mods, please feel free to re-locate it. I was thinking of where the more extreme wheel-offsets and suspension setups would be, and this forum rang a bell... people like to show their work.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:31 PM

sup,

although i don't own a s2k so i can't help you exactly but 2 weeks ago i rolled my rear fenders on my s14 240sx. i don't really understand the damage you're talking about, is there dimples in the outer side of the fender or inside? i can't believe you paid for fender rolling when they used a baseball bat...

here's my experience. i tried using a rubber mallet and heat gun to heat it up real well so it's pretty hot to touch than hammer away at it to fold the inner lip up towards the inner fender. but it was pretty hard to do and i was scared of buckling the fender so i ended up renting the eastwood roller thingy. then i realized since i have coilovers the fender roller is too long and it wouldn't fit under the wheel well. after playing around with it countless times i gave up and decided to try using the rubber mallet again. i heated it up a little more and it was successful. i had to give it steady hard pounds and really take my time with it and it came out great. in the end i wasted 75$ renting fee for the roller that i didnt' even use...

so yea take a heatgun, heat it up real well (like heat it around under the lip) and pound away at it with a rubber mallet while taking your time. fold the inner lip up so it is flat with the inside fender. you probably can't get it completely flat but flat enough so there's no rubbing issues.

or if you need more info just go to youtube and search for fender rolling. there's a pink s14 w/ some crazy jap guy rolling his car and another video of a 300 being rolled with a eastwood roller. good luck and post some pics.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:05 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just use small zipties, and pull the liner back to the stock holes.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:03 AM

Thanks Dave. I was thinking zip ties too, but I though it would be ghetto... but if its the standard fix, all the better!

As far as the dimpling go, its on the out side, not the lip that is rolled back. He also had to pull them a tad, and I think that is where the dimples came from... its only noticeable when you catch a clean glare off the fender area that is dimpled (the edge only).

I ended up purchasing a fender roller on eBay. I also have coilovers, but the arm should extend anywhere from 11" - 22+"... It should fit no problem, even with coilovers.

I will post results when I am done. this is only temporary, as I am getting 10mm Varis fenders this winter...

John
Old 07-31-2008, 08:27 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC,Jul 31 2008, 02:05 AM
Just use small zipties, and pull the liner back to the stock holes.
black zipties. You want to keep the fender liner if possible.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:36 AM

The body shop recommended cutting the liner, but I said no to that... these aluminum fenders will corrode pretty quickly without them...

Waiting on the Easwood roller now. And I have not paid for the job yet. He is going to use the roller for free, and might not charge me (if he likes the roller after we are done, we are just going to trade... he will owe me $100 in service, but that will be used up in no time).

John
Old 07-31-2008, 06:24 PM

so you didn't get the roller yet?

i dono how coils are on s2k but my roller was way too short even after i made it as small as possible. hopefully you don't have to take the coils off to get it to work. just make them use a heat gun you can't do it without it.

hope it works out for you i would be pissed if i had dimples on the outside that's bull. but then again you can't really blame the shop cause you took the risks. i also didnt' want to use the bat method because it seems like instead of rolling the fender it would also pull it as well. either way good luck and post some pics
Old 08-01-2008, 07:04 AM

Rolling and pulling are one in the same... pulling is just more rolling... done with the same tool, just different settings on the wheel...

Baseball bat works and works well, it is just a bit harder to execute... the roller should fix it.

Thanks

John
Old 08-01-2008, 08:51 PM

no rolling and pulling are not the same...technically they're not at least. rolling you just fold the inner lip up, pulling you literally pull the fender out. but yea i guess both can be done w/ the same tool but you'll be putting a lot of pressure on the roller if you're trying to pull with it. anyways post pics when ur done i wanna see them.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jwa4378,Aug 1 2008, 10:04 AM
Rolling and pulling are one in the same... pulling is just more rolling... done with the same tool, just different settings on the wheel...

Baseball bat works and works well, it is just a bit harder to execute... the roller should fix it.

Thanks

John
Take your time because if not done correctly. You will warp your fenders when pulling them out.