S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Running without front tags

Old 08-29-2006, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running without front tags

Anyone been pulled over for not running front tags? Both my old and new cars look much better without them. And I've yet to be pulled over, but I was told, at the dealership, that Maryland required them.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:16 AM

I've had a couple cops hassle me when I'm in a parking log, but I've never been pulled over for it. I drive responsibly and don't rip through residential areas unlike a lot of other "import enthusiasts" in my area, so that might be part of the reason I don't get hassled, but it could just be good luck, too.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been pulled over late at night when I had my 92 Accord. The front license plate fell off when I hit something and I never bothered putting it back on. These cops, in a college town, are just looking to find drunk kids. They just want to pull me over to check and then find something wrong with the car when they find out I'm 100% sober. The excuses I've gotten from various pull overs were

1. no front license plate (once in old car, once in S2000 when I didn't recieve my plates yet)
2. swerving around on the road (BS, I was totally sober and I saw the cop 2 miles away following me)
3. high beaming at a stop light (cop couldn't find a reason, so he asked if I was high beaming the lights earlier
my reply: YES OFFICER! Also, before you saw me, I was getting fellatio from my woman friend here while doing 95! jk. no high beaming, no 95, just fellatio)
4. having tint (California law says 85% is the most, but cars roll off the production line with 70% tint, so it's already breaking the law)
5. Not wearing my glasses (I had contacts!)

All these events happened late at night around 3am, and I've always just gotten a warning. Hence, they were all just bs reasons given when they can't charge me with a DUI.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:32 AM

California vehicle code says that if two plates are issued from the DMV, then two plates must be displayed. If you choose to run without the front one, you are likely to get a ticket.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:33 AM
Community Organizer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Yea....got a warning in MA.....I wound up just putting it in the grill and bolting through the plate into the lic plate mounting hole in the center of the grill.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:33 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Idaho needs two as well.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:34 AM

[QUOTE=AlX Boi,Aug 29 2006, 03:28 PM] 3.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

CT started requiring a front plate when the new design was issued. I didn't run one on any car for awhile until I finally got pulled over. I talked my way out of it claiming it was scrapped during an accident (car DID have front end damage ), but was told next time it would be a $90 ticket. I subsequently put the plate on all my cars. Is it worth the ticket? I don't think so... you can't see the plate when you're driving anyhow
Old 08-29-2006, 12:37 PM

If you want to push the envelope, you could do the research to find out whether not displaying a front plate in MD is a primary infraction -- that is, whether they can stop you for it, or whether they can ding you for it only if they stop you for some real primary infraction.

But I've always felt that doing things intentionally to draw the law's attention to me was not something smart to do. HPH
Old 08-29-2006, 12:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a $50 fine in Maryland, no points. I've heard about drivers who received an extra ticket for this after they were pulled over for something else. Don't know if they will stop you for the plate violation alone.

Quick Reply: Running without front tags