S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2000 kit- Mix and Match?

Old 04-20-2003, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 kit- Mix and Match?

Sup everyone. I recently purchased a veilside hood for my car along with the stock front spoiler. I also think the Backyard Special is the best body kit ive seen for the S so far. I love the back and sides. The mesh in the side skirts match the mesh in the hood nicely. Since i have already bought a front spoiler i am not sure i want to purchase an all new one so quickly. Would it seem strange to have three different body kit styles all in one car?

Along with the veilside hood and front spoiler, i have put in an aem cold air intake, a rear spoiler from the dealership and a stainless steel front grill. Also, a wind deflector, fog lights, and leather cover for the center console, and a leather bra. Ive put 18 inch Antera rims with yokohoma type z wheels. Im soon going to get clear out diffusers and clear out blinker lights on the side. I bought exhaust tips to change out the ones on it now just for a little bit nicer look because the dealer told me a new exhaust would not increase power since the S is maxed out in the exhause catagory. Anyone know if this is true or not? If not, any suggestions on the best dual exhaust for the car? Also i am looking into gettin pulleys, but i have not been able to find a site where i can purchase them from. Do they void the warranty? What about headers?

Later fellow enthusiasts.
Old 04-20-2003, 05:24 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Welcome to the board. You might want to meet up with some of the local Houston area owners and see what they have done.
HouStooks S2000 Owners Forum
Old 04-20-2003, 05:26 PM

Don't bother with the Headers and Pulleys, you wont be able to tell enough of a difference to make them worth the extra strain on the engine(pulleys). Spugen, Mugen, HKS, Spoon, Rod Millen Motorsports, Amuse, etc. make lightweight Exhaust systems with slight power gains, but 5 HP at the top again won't help enough to, in my opinion, offset the hefty cost of those catback systems. however, if you're looking for lightness(which, based on your selection of rather heavy rolling stock, you're not) the systems can save 15-20 pounds or so off of your stock exhaust. To me, the Stock exhaust makes wonderful sounds and I think unless you really hate the sound, or really want the weight savings, just go with the non-stock tips to give your car a different look.

Again, Exhaust only if you dont like the stock sound or want to shed some weight, No headers because you wont tell the diference(and if you install the heat shield to keep underhood temps in check, you wont be able to show them off if you pop the hood), and no pulleys because why bother straining the devices on the car if you don't have to? If you want to track it, sure, remove the AC, but it wont make enough of a difference to justify the possible voided warranty and stress on engine peripherals in a street machine as yours seems to be.

Happy motoring, I'm quite partial to the Veilside hood too, and when modding you should do what you like and what you thinks looks good; mixing and matching of bodykit parts is the reason why most companies offer components separately. I'm not familiar with the kit you're talking about, but if it makes your looks back at your car after you park it linger longer, by all means go for it.
OEM kit looks the most tasteful to me, but I think since you've got such an aggressive hood you might do better with a more aggressive kit.

QUICK2K
Old 04-22-2003, 12:44 PM

Quick2k you should check out bulletproofautomotive.com for the Backyard Special body kit. I think its the nicest looking one ive seen. Not too crazy, not too simple.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:45 PM

its the one labelled Urethane