S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2000 Mistaken for Emergency Vehicle

Old 07-24-2001, 09:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S2000 Mistaken for Emergency Vehicle

I think I've all but stopped driving this car at night now. I pulled out of a McDonalds the other day which was very close to a state police post and had the person in front of me pull over to the side of a very narrow, heavily traveled, 2-way road to let me pass and then pull bank on in front of someone else.

I have to admit I was surprised, but apparently they thought my car was a police car due to the headlights. I was going downhill over some bumps in the road and this has a nice strobe effect with the lights on the cars in front.

So I hesitate to get on the road at night unless its necessary. I'm considering just aiming the damned lights at the road 5 or 6 feet in fron the car and use my brights for most normal driving. I love the intensity and look of the lights, but I can't believe how ignorant people are of them! I'd rather avoid any run-ins with pissed off cops or motorists who think I'm flashing them...its not worth it.

I'm sure I'm not the only one mistaken for an emergency vehicle?

-B
Old 07-24-2001, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed, this has happend to me over and over and over at night.
Old 07-24-2001, 10:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This has happened to me too, but usually because they think I've got the high beams on...
Old 07-25-2001, 07:14 AM

I was contemplating adding some blue and red strobes to the car on the passenger side sunvisor ... Just contemplating, always love the operative lights and it's great to feel previleged to be passing cars effortlessly when necessary.

Old 07-25-2001, 07:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i love this feature!
i have found that even driving in the day with lights often has the same effect- driving in to work today with lights on, it seemed like everyone was moving out of the lane i was in... not unusual either-
the first time i noticed this i thought it was just a coincidence that everyone moved out of the lane i was in. now i know its just a feature of our car!
Old 07-25-2001, 07:51 AM

Is it a American-models specific thing?
I never had any problems, and although road surfacing in europe is maybe better, I don't think the higways are that crappy in the US... so what is it?
Has any of the English or euro owners had any bad experiences? Are our headlights lower? Are american motorists idiots?
In france people do pull over when you arrive behind them, but that's because it's the law, and also because seeing a mean-looking car arriving 100kmh faster than you in your rear-view mirror is maybe a bit frightening..
Old 07-25-2001, 08:01 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I personally love this effect! But I wouldn't consider re-aiming the headlights lower. I think it's a positive feature! hehehe
Old 07-25-2001, 08:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by le car
[B]Are american motorists idiots?
Old 07-25-2001, 08:15 AM

I was curious to see what other drivers see when they encounter a stook at night, while my wife was driving our S2000, I had her follow me at different distances while I drove another car. When she was about a 100 yards behind me, in my rear view mirror it looked exactly like she was flashing hi beams at me as she encountered slight bumps in the road. If she followed at 5 - 10 car lengths I didn't notice it because the light pattern is well below my rearview mirror. After seeing this, I'm not surprised that people freak out when they encounter us at night. I don't think other HID or Zenon equipped cars look as weird as ours!
Old 07-25-2001, 08:16 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by le car
[B] Are american motorists idiots?

Quick Reply: S2000 Mistaken for Emergency Vehicle