S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2000 a piece of sh*t

Old 09-01-2003, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 a piece of sh*t

Don't get me wrong, I love the looks of it and driving it, but it is sooo unreliable.

I've got mine 3 years now, waranty (3 years) expired a month ago.

I think I had all the failures you can find on the board:
[list=1]
[*]Loose plugs
[*]clutch replacement
[*]oil bolt replacement
[*]CV joints broken
[*]rear end clicking
[*]engine stopped running 2 times (no ignition 1 cylinder), reason never found
[*]etc[/list=1]

Last week I went to the dealer for another rear end clicking at accle/decel but reason still unkown, but getting worse.

Yesterday while driving the engine quit (heard a kind of tapping sound in the engine when cold at the morning).

I don't know yet the reason but the igniter cover is cracked and one igniter coil cracked and moved up 1/2 inch so you can guess....

I'm not sure if it is worth to get the engine fixed or replaced.

Does anyone know if the later S2000 are more reliable than the first version, just to know if it is worth to even think about bying another one.
Old 09-01-2003, 10:44 PM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

Hey, sometimes even the most reliable car (Honda Accord) has its share of problems. Honda is known for reliability, but sometimes there is a bad car out of the batch. I know some people that purchase Accords and run into problems, and everyone knows that cars don't get more reliable than an Accord. The s2000 is built by hand, with some machine processes, so there is absolutely no way that each and every s2000 is built the same. In fact, there is no way that each and every Accord is built the same. If you take an Operations Management course at a highly ranked business school, you will learn that the business goal is to reduce error, because getting rid of error is absolutely impossible. Sorry to hear that your S2000 has problems, my bet is that if you got another one, you'd be satisfied.

PS. Per the explanation above, it is not entirely fair to state that "the s2000 is a piece of sh*t." The correct statement should be "My s2000 is a piece of sh*t"
Old 09-01-2003, 10:48 PM

I think Honda has the best reliability reputation from amongst all the others. Maybe you a got lemon car?
Cuz I know all Audi's come lemon-made from factory
Old 09-01-2003, 10:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Though my car isn't a POS, it does have its share of annoying noises... I still can't figure out whats rattling!
Old 09-01-2003, 11:09 PM

Originally posted by Cannonbear
Though my car isn't a POS, it does have its share of annoying noises... I still can't figure out whats rattling!
it could be your seat belt
Old 09-01-2003, 11:52 PM

LOL, yeah my seatbelt does rattle too. Thats why I keep it buckled even without a passenger. I have that rattle and the pass side top clasp also rattles. If it does it, I wait til I stop and refasten it.

OK, I do ahve to agree with the fact that you got a bad car. Most of the problems have been resolved in the later cars. I have to say that I havent seen anyone around here with a 2K2+ having any problems such as you mentioned. You can try your luck with a new MY03 or MY04, but that's for you to decide.

All in all, they dont suck, that paticular one you have is cursed
Old 09-02-2003, 12:35 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bArt2
[B]Don't get me wrong, I love the looks of it and driving it, but it is sooo unreliable.

I've got mine 3 years now, waranty (3 years) expired a month ago.

I think I had all the failures you can find on the board:
[list=1]
[*]Loose plugs
Old 09-02-2003, 01:57 AM
Banned

Once in a while, one car is the bad apple of the batch. My family has owned countless of Honda and Toyota cars and they are absolutely, undisputedly the most reliable cars. However, once in a while, a certain owner will get his/her hands on a bad one. Very importantly, it also depends on how one treats his car. My S has been very very reliable. However, I must say that I don't think S2000 is AS reliable as other Honda cars because it is a performance car, and so its parts tend to wear out much quicker, and its owners tend to drive 'em more aggressively.

An Accord and Camry will last forever if they are driven normally and given scheduled maintanance tasks. My family has both. No cars are more reliable. Period!
Old 09-02-2003, 05:15 AM

Originally posted by bArt2
I'm not sure if it is worth to get the engine fixed or replaced.
Huh? I don't understand this comment - you've stated that your engine has stopped running twice. If it started again then it has nothing to do with the engine - it's either the electrical or fuel system that has a fault. Fixing or replacing the engine ain't going to help you here.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:37 AM
pfb

Name a single performance car currently in production that doesn't have significant reliability issues...

Certainly NOT the Boxster, any BMW especially the M3, C5 Vette, any Audi, any MB, WRX, Evo, completely forget any exotic like a Ferrari or Lambo, etc.

The realitability seems to be when you combine:1. More limited production, 2. Lighter weight, and 3. Extract higher performance, reliability seems to suffer.

Quick Reply: S2000 a piece of sh*t