S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2000 reliability

Old 12-11-2001, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 reliability

I'm finding it difficult to get a clear picture of how reliable the S2000 is. Since it would be a daily driver for me, I need it to work consistently (25 miles commute each way). I like the S2000 so much that I'm willing to sacrifice some comfort and quiet but not reliability.

The recently published Consumer Reports 2002 New Car Preview classifies the S2000 as having better than average reliability. This is what you would expect for a Honda and it's based on owner surveys, although I would be curious to know how many owners of such a limited production car actually responded.

When I come to this very valuable forum, however, a slightly different picture emerges. Of course there are many happy owners; that's as it should be. It's just that problems seem to occur more frequently than what you could guess from Consumer Reports, much less one of the enthusiast magazines. Maybe it's because people dedicated enough to post here are more obsessed than the average owner. Then again, I've also noticed posts from owners whose undying loyalty to the S2000 gives them the determination to tolerate whatever mechanical gremlins may be lurking there.

There are also nightmares. A poster who signs in as cdelena comes to mind but there are others as well. These are people who have been through more than a person should have to bear: TSB 00-054 clutch replacements that don't solve the problem, multiple transmission replacements, AC units leaking into the cabin, and so on.

I'm beginning to wonder where the truth is. As valuable as this forum has been (I can't emphasize that enough), I wonder if some of the horror stories may be scaring me away from a great car.
Old 12-11-2001, 08:04 PM

Also remember that people report the unusual not the usual. No one posts "my car's running great, no problems" threads, but if anyone has a problem of course they'll immediately come here and ask about it first to get advice. From what I can see though the majority of the people here have no problems.
Old 12-11-2001, 08:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my car's running great
no problems
except for the auto window does not work...
its a honda- its reliable!
Old 12-11-2001, 08:12 PM

For the most part, owners are very happy. I am one of them, and my car is not perfect. I had the safety recalls and clutch replaced, and all were painless experiences (I'm sure 99% of the experiences are painless). I also hear the strange noices here and there, but I think with this kind of car, you will pay more attention to those things. Like any other model or brand, there will be those "lemons" and "bad service departments" that you may have to deal with. If you want a desent priced, great performing, fun car to drive, this is it, and don't pass it up.

As for daily drivers, mine is and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 12-11-2001, 08:16 PM

You also have to remember that alot of people on this forum are not only racing regularly, but are continually adding aftermarket accessories etc. I've never had a mechanical problem with mine and don't expect to, although after reading this forum, I now find myself listening for any little noise. Personally, I think alot of it depends on how you take care and treat your car....
Old 12-11-2001, 08:32 PM

Also, remember a lot of things were addressed in the 2002 model, if that's the car you're considering: beefier clutch, smoother transmission, better shifter, new glass rear window, tweeters, 10 more watts, etc. I just bought a 2002 and commute about 25 miles _each way_ to work everyday. No regrets, no problems, and I actually look forward to commuting now! I even get up earlier and leave later to beat traffic so that I can VTEC all the way... Also I had a Camry coupe--the S2000 has as much headroom with the top up and a much better seat to boot.
Old 12-11-2001, 08:59 PM

Old 12-11-2001, 09:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a developer (of game software) I can tell you that on public forums like S2KI you will always get a significantly higher percentage of complaints, vs the general population.

First, your average owner just uses the product, no complaints and no real interest in being part of the community, so you never see them here.

Second, when someone has a problem, the public forum is one of the first places suggested to visit for solutions.

Third, regular forum visitors tend to be "power users", meaning they modify and push the product significantly more than average users.

Finally, the majority of the forum users are "lurkers" who rarely post unless there is a problem. And almost noone posts about not having a problem (and the threads die very quickly when they do...because that's very boring

So, I've learned that if a forum is about 50/50 problematic/no problems then everything is great. I only start working when the problems start getting reported by over 75% of the forum posters.

So, for me that would say that the S2000 is highly reliable, esp. when you remove those problems caused by too-high RPM clutch dumps, engine mods, etc. My personal S2000 has been very reliable.
Old 12-11-2001, 09:11 PM

My MY2000 has given me absolutely no problems for the past 2 years. I drive almost 100 miles daily. And with almost 47,000 miles on the odometer, it remains a great ride and has never been in the shop for any mechanical problems, other than for the tuneau cover and seatbelt safety recall, sans the periodic oil changes. And believe it or not, I still have the original front S02's; the rears were replaced at 31K miles. The supercharger was installed at 38K miles and has given me no problems, either.

As a daily driver, it can be a bit uncomfortable at times because of the stop and go traffic. Nothing a quick blast to 9000 rpms can't cure. Every day, I look for the rare moments where traffic opens up and I can "get on" the throttle for a few grins. Besides, as a California resident, top-down weather is good for about 340 days a year......
Old 12-11-2001, 09:11 PM

Don't worry about it -- it's a Honda, and it'll run forever just like all the others. Get the 100,000 mile warranty if you're really paranoid.

Honda's generally an honest company (though, sure, certain dealers suck), and they've made a great product. Buy one and enjoy the hell out of it.

- Warren

Quick Reply: S2000 reliability