S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

The S2000- A True Drivers Car

Old 05-22-2001, 09:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been on this board for ages, even though I don't post much. I've been noticing that alot of people have problems with this car, like the gear grind and notchy shifting, rear end all over the place. I can see that there are a few problems with the car but I've had this car for a year now and while at first I thought the cars transmission was notchy or the rear end kicked out alot, A year later I see that the car drives like butter. I'm a pretty good driver and have driven my share of cars to know what i'm talking about and I'm saying the S2000 is a true Drivers car, the car only gets better as you get better and all those notch shifts and the problem rear end will disapear the more you drive it. Sorry for the long post it's just I've talked to people that thinks this car is overhyped and thinks only professional drivers can use it's full potential but that's what I think is so great about it.
Old 05-22-2001, 09:41 PM
Banned

You are correct, sir. I think many of the issues that came about early on were due to the fact that people who were getting the S2000 were more accustomed to FWD cars. That took some adjustment on the part of those who hadn't really had much experience with RWD. Now that the car has been out a while, people are understanding and getting used to it.

But the car has always been a driver's car...that's what makes it such a unique automobile. There are truly few cars and most definitely within lots of 1,000's of dollars, that compare to the in your face experience that the S2000 provides. It's a helluva machine out of the box, but tweak on a few of the right mods, and damn, it's downright nasty...

Makes me do this ----->

[Edited by gregstevens on 05-23-2001 at 09:33 AM]
Old 05-22-2001, 09:53 PM

I personally think that S2Ks are great cars. Even though I don't have much experience with actual "roadsters" (only other "roadsters" I've driven are an Audi TT and a MR2 Spyder), I didn't have any trouble stepping into the driver's seat of an S2000 because, oddly enough, all of my previous cars have been RWD and my last car was a '91 MR2 Turbo, which in terms of overall performance, is comparable to the S2K.

I've never had a performance gripe about the S2K, so I'm with you guys on the whole FWD vs. RWD issue
Old 05-22-2001, 09:53 PM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

As has been mentioned from time to time it's rare to find people posting "My car is great. I haven't had any problems." It's much more common to hear about the problems that occur. I've had my car since October 1999 and have not had any significant problems except the two idiots who couldn't drive and decided to run into me. I've got 33k miles on my baby and love it. I track it , take it through the canyons , and it loves every minute of it.

'Nuff said
Old 05-22-2001, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tell him what he's won, Johnny!!!

I am getting a little tired of the whining myself. Although well intentioned, the "upsets" seem to overshadow the true nature of this machine (anyone else notice the way I juxtaposed nature and machine??). The car has a soul of a cheetah and loves to be driven but it is still a machine created by man. In no way will it be perfect. Ever try to put together over 5,000 (quessing here) parts...BY HAND!!! The transmission is a direct link type and lends itself to more feedback hence a notchy feel...well duh! It ain't a Lexus!! Quit yer yapp'n and get your gums a flap'n with a dose of 146mph, top down, wind in your hair driving excitement found no where else on this planet at this price point!! That is all...

Mark
Old 05-22-2001, 10:05 PM

Hi Blade

133xx miles, post TSB shifting, smooth. Post break in power, terrific (never had a car that couldn't use a free additional 50 HP). Handling, perfect - never had the tail do anything it wasn't supposed to.

As to folks with problems with their cars, those with thoughts about how the car can be improved, I think it is just ignorant and narrow minded to call such folks whiners. Hope you all with problems get them sorted out, hope Honda continuously upgrades and improves the S2000 and that we can retrofit those improvements to ours.

2x6spds
Old 05-22-2001, 10:41 PM

Originally posted by 2x6spds
As to folks with problems with their cars, those with thoughts about how the car can be improved, I think it is just ignorant and narrow minded to call such folks whiners.
2x6spds
Let me clarify my statement. My reference to "the whiners" was directed at the group, albeit small, that complain of such trivial items as no clock, the tacky carpeted center console, notchy shift feel, etcetera, etcetera. these should have been obvious before the car was purchased. To complain about it now is, in my book, whining. As to mechanical failures and the like, I agree that these need to be addressed. As I stated previously, it is a machine and as such is subject to failure. That is why we have a warrranty. Hope that helps!

Mark

P.S. - In the future, please refrain from implying I am ignorant or narrow-minded. Doing so only points it out in you.
Old 05-22-2001, 10:52 PM

If the stook was a beautiful man/woman (your choice), you would still love her/him despite her/his few flaws. When something as outstanding as this comes along, you accept it, if your in love, warts and all. The warts are few and I unashamedly admit it, "I really love this car.
Old 05-23-2001, 03:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Amen!
Old 05-23-2001, 03:39 AM
Bieg

For many, many years Japanese cars (and Bikes) were panned as being "souless" and/or "Lacking Character". This mostly came from Euro car/bike lovers whose vehicles were out performed by less expensive Japanese equipment.

Nobody can EVER say the S2000 "lacks Character". It has the heart and soul of a Formula 2000 racer and is just civilized enough to be allowed on the street.

The little quirks the car has just adds character. Very rarely has a Japanese manufacturer released a vehicle so narrowly focused and dedicated to a single minded purpose.

There are a thousand reasons this car is Great, a landmark car even. Revel in the fact that you own such a purposful vehicle. This is a car that leaves it's mark in your soul.

Quick Reply: The S2000- A True Drivers Car