S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2K as daily driver

Old 01-26-2005, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny So many S owners have minivans as well. New Mazada MPV Zoom Zoom and s owner myself.

Nate
Old 01-26-2005, 05:13 PM

Propnuts....

Did you see this thread on soundproofing? It may be an option to consider.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=254880
Old 01-26-2005, 05:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stupid Seattle folks. I have the same problem!!! : )
Old 01-26-2005, 05:46 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Exclamation

Props to my minivan, without it I couldn't have gotten my S...coming up on nearly 20,000 miles of great dailing driving.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Shadow_S2K,Jan 26 2005, 11:06 AM
...only times I wish I had a more luxurious car is those long trips over 5 hours heh.
That's when the RX-8 comes in handy.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This many S2000 owners that also own minivans does not speak well for our community. One thing I've sworn to never do in my life is own a minivan.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by rworne,Jan 26 2005, 03:33 PM
My biggest gripe as a daily driver in the S2000, not much of this is seen in out other car ('98 Camry):

1. People ahead of me in automatics. You should know the drill: light turns green, they take their foot off the brake to do the "creep", all to hit the brakes again after a car length or so when they bunch up.

2. Making right turns. This one is another that gets to me. Pull up to intersection in rightmost lane (on a red light, unsignaled intersection, or driveway). Traffic is coming, so you wait. Meanwhile, someone in a minivan or SUV pulls up on your left and creeps out as far as possible. All you see now is a door. Now you need to wait for them to complete their left turn before making your right. I mean, they are driving this big-ass vehicle so high up off the ground and they need to pull so far ahead for visibility when I could see fine from my position?

3. Truck (pickup) drivers. Why are they in such a rush that they have to insist on getting in front of me or acting like they want to race me?

I've got a whole bunch more, but these are S2000-specific.
Everything that you just listed happens to me too

Other drivers suck!

Anyways, I've had my S2000 as a daily driver for about 3 months now and it's been a blast. Driving in the snow is not so bad with the Blizzacks. I'm actually used to the visibility issues with the top up now. My only complaint would be lack of storage space in the cockpit, and watching my "big boned" friend squeeze into the passenger seat.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:26 PM

I find the S comfy for long drives. The seats are comfortable. The only thing that gets on me is exhaust noise, but I've got an aftermarket cat-back, so I brought that on myself.

Other than that, I am not one to complain about a harsh ride (I like a firm suspension). I do seem to find my way behind a monstrosity aka SUV lots of times. I love it when you've got one in front of you and one riding your a$$ behind you. But, I'm used to the SUV "push my way through traffic because I'm big" mentality coming from a Miata. Same thing used to happen to me in that car, and it was smaller and lower than the S.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Highrpmek,Jan 26 2005, 08:12 PM
This many S2000 owners that also own minivans does not speak well for our community. One thing I've sworn to never do in my life is own a minivan.
Yeah, I felt the same way (at least about not buying a minivan), until we rented one on a camping trip in Wyoming (we lived in Connecticut at the time, so we flew). The ability to fit five people and all that crap was wonderful; we bought one when we got home, replacing a Volvo station wagon. I don't like driving minivans, but they have a really great utility factor.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Highrpmek,Jan 26 2005, 10:12 PM
Doesn't speak well for our community??? Why is that? If you don't like minivans, that's your issue but here's my take on minivans vs other larger vehicles (primarily SUV types, Excusions, Expeditions, Suburbans, and large pickup trucks, etc.).

Unless you need to pull some 8000 lb boat, or similarly heavy trailer:

Minivans are more versatile. Generally speaking, they'll carry an equal number of people, or more, in more comfort overall for everyone.

Minivans are also able to carry all those people and have excess room for their luggage on a trip. As proof of that statement, I offer the fact that a group of friends and I (5 adults and one 8yo (as of this year anyway!)) take an annual ski trip. We load everyone up in a minivan to drive to the airport and rent a minivan on the other end to drive to the ski slopes. That includes two ski bags and 5 "large" suitcases and 4 to 5 smaller carry on bags. It's tight but we fit. A couple of times through the years, we've tried to rent a large SUV at the destination and could never make it work. It wasn't even close. We either had to leave several articles of luggage behind or one person.

Minivans generally get significantly better fuel mileage than large SUV's. I've heard some argue that but I know a number of folks who drive the SUV's and when we compare gas mileage, depending on the circumstances, I'm getting 19 to 20 mpg in local driving when their getting 12 to 13 and I'm getting 24 to 26 mpg on the freeway when they're doing good to push 20 mpg.

Most folks I talk to these days that won't drive a minivan, have that attitude because of the "socker mom" image of minivans. I'd point out that most soccer mom's I see these days are driving SUV's!!

And one more point I'll make about SUV's in relation to our S2000's. Generally speaking, I've found that if anyone's going to pull out in front of me, turn left in front of me, change lanes on top of me on the freeway, and especially tailgate me it's going to be some a-hole in an SUV or large truck. By comparison, it's rarely someone in a minivan.

Sorry to highjack the thread, I just felt the need to respond to this one, as a minivan owner that is!

Drive Safe,
Steve R.

Quick Reply: S2K as daily driver