S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2KCA -- Need Member Feedback ASAP

Old 07-15-2002, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2KCA -- Need Member Feedback ASAP

The S2KCA is having a special board meeting tonight at 7pm Pacific time. The following items have been proposed for this vote. Please contact your regional director to ensure he/she knows how you feel on these points:

- Proposition to remove S2KCA forums

The S2KCA forums threaten to split the community in the interests of competing with C3. In my view, S2KCA is a car club and S2KI is an online community; these should be compatible, mutually beneficial organizations to provide services to S2000 owners. Personal squabbles should be kept personal, not allowed to bleed into professional decisions. Given the few posts and lack of meaningful information the S2KCA forums, this should be a simple decision.

- reverse the decision to halt the $5 contribution to S2KI

Given that S2KCA finds the vast majority of its members from S2KI, continuing to support the board is a moral decision. The fact that S2KI accepts donations from non-S2KCA members in return for added "luxury" services should have no bearing on this decision.

- review relations between S2KCA and S2ki

Set up a team from S2KCA to mediate the problems between the two organizations and look for a mutually beneficial way of doing business. As stated above, synergy should exist, but is currently being destroyed by flames and old scars.

- enforce BOD decision to review all posts made in the name of S2KCA

This is a vote to enforce a previous decision made by the board. All posts made BOD members in the name of S2KCA are supposed to be reviewed to ensure that they are professional and accurate; the goal is to stop flame wars and ensure that the communication carries the proper attitude. This has not been enforced for several months.

Whether you agree or disagree with each point, please send a quick PM to your regional director, stating your views.

Since this relates to both S2KI and S2KCA, I placed this in the S2000 Talk forum.
Old 07-15-2002, 11:55 AM

to the top, please
Old 07-15-2002, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

stuck to top
Old 07-15-2002, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by krazik
stuck to top
Old 07-15-2002, 03:00 PM

I sent email to SW Regional director about this.

Thank you for all your excellent suggestions!
Old 07-15-2002, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Prolene
I sent email to SW Regional director about this.

Thank you for all your excellent suggestions!
Al, isn't Tanq your RD?
Old 07-15-2002, 07:11 PM

Originally posted by cthree

Al, isn't Tanq your RD?
That's a good question, cthree! I checked S2KCA's internet site and Christian Johnson is listed as SW Regional Director! That list might really have to be updated....!
Old 07-15-2002, 07:12 PM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Christian = Tanq
Old 07-15-2002, 08:04 PM

Although this is a little late. I agree on all topics mentioned above.

The comments above are rational and well thought out. The only suggestion I have is the amount to S2Ki.com as $5 = 14% of the membership fee is a little high to maintain. Once membership and renewals reaches a set limit I would think that 5% annually, with a specific date of annual payment and a formula for how the actual amount is calculated, would be fair. Maybe limit the payment to 5% of membership dues or $500 whichever is greater.

Also I think S2KCA could offer gold members of S2ki.com honorary memberships to S2KCA so they can attend S2KCA events for the first year. This promotes S2KCA and S2KI.com. Since S2KI.com generates most interest in S2KCA this would be a fair way to offer assistance, with S2Ki.com helping to find sponsors for S2KCA events to make up the difference.

I strongly agree that something needs to be done to unite the two groups and take the personal issues out of the equation.
Old 07-15-2002, 11:10 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For the record I really wish this $5 thing would just go away. I mean it's generous offer and all but it makes the relationship between s2ki and a national club more complex than I prefer. None of the other clubs are doing it so I'd really rather a US national club didn't either.

However if they send me a check then I'm going to cash it but like I said I'd rather they didn't. That probably sounds ungrateful but it's the truth. Nobody ever asked me if I wanted the money. I'd rather they drop the membership fee $5 than send it to me.

All I wanted is a complementary track day now and then. Seems silly to me to want to charge me to attend an event and then turn around and send me a check. A little mutual back-scratching is good for building and strengthening relationships. That's why I offer, and still offer, free web hosting, forums and event publicity banners gratis to clubs and others looking to build and grow the s2000 community.

You will no doubt hear that said track day was offered but I declined it. This is true. After arguing with Greg Stevens for over an hour about it I became sick of the whole process. Clearly the good will didn't run both ways and I had no intention of begging for it.

I'm tired and frustrated by the whole thing. The attitude expressed toward s2ki and me specifically shown by the grand counsel recently underscores the fundamental issues that separate us. Cooperation is more than simply paying lip service to the concept, it means actually working together to accomplish a common goal. Perhaps the lack of that commonality is why we are where we are.

All this "we the people" BS that has been floating around is a cute smokescreen. S2KI is run by 3 long time S2000 owners with input from many many other S2000 owners. If we aren't "the people" then who the hell are?

You might also want to consider that HondaGal who started S2KI in the first place chose to join up with us at s2000online and dump her BOD (the core of s2kca's). You might want to consider why and if you are really curious you could ask her.

Another issue that keeps coming up is Atlanta. I admit that I become caught up in local club politics on that one and bailed out. I learned my lesson and have applied it since. Go over to s2000atlanta.com and read what they have (specifically SilverStreak) to say about us and decide for yourselves if that's how you want our community to be run. I also question the arms-length nature of the relationship between him and s2kca/Sondra. Frankly there is too much drama there for my taste.

Cooperation is walking the walk.

Quick Reply: S2KCA -- Need Member Feedback ASAP