S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2ks on BAT

Old 07-23-2018, 09:52 AM

Received 81 Likes on 60 Posts

Operating and maintenance costs are a gimme on any car. What you save yourself on a collectible car, hopefully, is the depreciation. It's nice to drive a car you like, and not lose your shirt when you trade it in or go to sell it private. Of course this only holds true if the car hasn't been beaten on or butchered.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:53 AM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

...or driven.

In order to not lose money, you have to not enjoy owning the car. Can't drive it, can't modify it...

I think the point is its going to cost you money, so get your moneys worth.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:31 AM

Received 616 Likes on 422 Posts

People are gonna pissed when I supercharge my gpw/all red then.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:41 AM

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by S2kys
You can then ask those elitist if they'd like to go around the track. Please post how that conversation goes.

My plan for my future Honda S2000 is to leave it stock. Because for my own personal use, it appears to be a perfect and balanced car. Again, for my own personal use.

I'm not going to bat an eye and look down on people who mod their Honda S2000, proving that they're functional mods.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:37 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by S2kys
well... is yours in near perfect all original condition?

Not all S2000’s (or, on a broader spectrum, cars) are the same. For instance, if I bought a car with body damage / mods, say... rolled or pulled fenders, for instance. I wouldn’t think twice about adding FI.

Additionally, I’m not on the side of telling anyone what to do with their car. I’m not sure anyone here is. I’m also not arguing you should or shouldn’t mod your car. Of my 6 cars, 3 are modded (2 heavily), and 3 are pretty much as they left the factory.

It’s simple... do irreversible mods and there will then be less clean, original cars in the future, further increasing those cars value to the buyers looking for clean, original cars.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:33 PM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by [DELETED]
It’s simple... do irreversible mods and there will then be less clean, original cars in the future, further increasing those cars value to the buyers looking for clean, original cars.
Yes it's a bit ironic that as the number of modified cars increases so does the value of the fewer remaining unmolested cars. Similarly every time one of these cars is stolen, depending on what the thieves do with the car, all the remaining cars potentially increase a bit more in value. In that light I'd rather see a S2000 being modified and kept in a garage than one being untouched but left out on the street. But people who spend their money to buy an S2000 can do as they like.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo
I can't see how cars, ANY cars can be an investment. Let's just say that the car does not lose any value, but what about the operating costs of driving the thing?

On average, insurance for a car will probably you $1,000/year
Gas, and let's say you don't drive it much, on average you'll fill up once a month. ~$40 x 12 = $480/year at minimum
Oil change services for said car at minimum = $100/year
Tires every 2 - 3 years, let's just say 3 years = $900/3year = $300/year

Sure, your Honda S2000 isn't losing value, but you're looking at ~$2,000 of normal operating costs for the car. And you're not getting that money back in the re-sale.

Yes yes, go ahead, call it out, this was a captain obvious post.
Here is the thing. All cars have this in common. For your premise to work, you'd have to sell the S2K and not replace it at all.
Also, different people value different things. The man I bought my car from was in his early 70s. He owned the car for 15 years and put roughly 4000 miles on the car in that timespan. I had a conversation with him about that, and he simply enjoyed having the car, looking at it, cleaning it. Does that not have value? Think of it this way, some people collect stamps, others art. Its all relative. If it makes you happy, that has a value you aren't taking into account.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:11 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Do what you want with your cars. If you like to keep it stock, fine. If you like to mod it, fine.
My attitude is I could own my 02 s2k or some other car like a civic or a corolla to drive around. The s2k is cheaper to own and run. Its not free.
The first one to sell today off BAT was a dbw laguna blue that sold for just over $19K. No one is getting rich. We'll see how the ap1s do.

Last edited by rpg51; 07-23-2018 at 04:13 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:50 PM

Received 616 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by [DELETED]

well... is yours in near perfect all original condition?

Not all S2000’s (or, on a broader spectrum, cars) are the same. For instance, if I bought a car with body damage / mods, say... rolled or pulled fenders, for instance. I wouldn’t think twice about adding FI.

Additionally, I’m not on the side of telling anyone what to do with their car. I’m not sure anyone here is. I’m also not arguing you should or shouldn’t mod your car. Of my 6 cars, 3 are modded (2 heavily), and 3 are pretty much as they left the factory.

Yes, it is.

Last edited by Kyle; 07-23-2018 at 07:40 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kyle:
Deckoz (08-08-2018), shrykhar (07-23-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 08:19 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Quick Reply: S2ks on BAT