S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

sanity check

Old 11-07-2010, 07:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default sanity check

Earlier this year I traded my '06 S in towards an '08 CR which had a scant 12k miles on the odo (my '06 had rolled past 50k). I dearly love the CR, but I miss the ragtop - that was a convertible. A recent injury which took my right hand out of commission for a while (bloody inconvenient) kept me out of my S2K for longer than I could stand - I drove it yesterday. Some of the shifts hurt a bit, but it sure felt nice to drive that car again.

This brings me to my question. I'm about to turn 50, so I should have at least 20 more years of being able to drive the perfect roadster. Will my CR last me 20 years? Should I wait to see if Honda gets its soul back and introduces a fitting replacement for the S2K? Should I buy another S2K now and put one away for my next car? I ask because I see one available locally which has obviously been pampered - it's even wearing touring tires which implies that its driver hasn't been testing the limits of adhesion. The price is right, at $14k for a 2001 with 45k miles (and it's my 2nd favorite color combo ( )).

Obviously, I'm not asking for the community to make this decision for me; I have to do that on my own. I am asking for a sanity check. Is this a crazy idea? Couldn't I pretty much put my CR away (driving it once or twice a month) and have my next car waiting in the wings? I don't envision my ever getting tired of driving an S2K - it's such an honest and pure machine (very nicely shaped sheetmetal too). Hell, maybe I'm just looking to build a case to present to my wife (who actually doesn't share my enthusiasm for the idea ).
Old 11-07-2010, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Imagine that over 10 years, while everyone is on the green stuff, driving eco cars, you be pulling up the garage door and unleash the most perfect "classic" roadster

If you got the cash, love the car this much, and the place to store it then go for it!
Old 11-07-2010, 07:53 AM

When I'm older and have a little bit more money, I plan on getting a low mileage stock CR as a garage queen and using my '06 as a fun car. I think its a great idea to have two.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:04 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the garage space available. The tools and wood next to my car are only there for the sake of convenience. It's a pretty good sized garage, but I still wish I had gone with a few exra feet in each direction - oh well.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:11 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

It's really up to you, hey 50 is not even the zenith of your life - you are barely at the midpoint , best of luck with the recovery.
If i was in your shoes I'd keep the CR and If financially possible & reasonable (in other words won't upset your retirement plant) pick up like an 04-05 with relative low mileage and just offset the miles between the two.
That way you can still enjoy the top down cruising, nothing beats a top down cruise in an s2k with a perfect breeze.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:38 AM

If I was you I would buy a second S2000 for later. I was always wanted to do the same thing, but lack the funds or space to do so.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:40 AM

I have a cr I traded my si in for it. I wish i kept it as a dd and got an ap1 to track. I would buy the s2k. I want another one lol
Old 11-07-2010, 08:53 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

I'd consider another S2000 or an NSX. I love my current S but am driving it so much it wont be around in 10 years, without a new motor at least.

If you're that much into the car,buy one and keep it. $14K today, invested would be $20-25K in 10-15 years, so I would look at what you want your dollars doing for you.

The chances that the S will become a rare and sot after sports car is unlikely; though it might happen. I will always view cars as a money pit.

That said, life is short and on my death bed I wont be worrying about the miles or dollars spent on cars or any joy bringing activity in my life.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't sound to insane to me. I was flirting with the idea of picking up a CR to eventually replace my AP1 but then I got power hungry..
Old 11-07-2010, 12:49 PM
Banned

I would just stick with the CR and have a friend handy to pop off the hard top...I plan on having my S2000 at least for 10 more years,unless I upgrade to a CR...By the way, let me know if u want to sell your CR wheels.

Quick Reply: sanity check