S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Scraped The Front Bumper Pretty Bad Tonight

Old 09-21-2011, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scraped The Front Bumper Pretty Bad Tonight

I am still not used to the dimensions of this ride yet, only had it a few months. Tonight, I pulled into a parking spot at work and scraped the front bumper pretty bad against one of those concrete stops.
I knew it wasn't going to be pretty, in fact, looking at it tmakes me sick. I couldn't shoot a photo of it, that's how upset I was, despite having a camera rig in my hand for work.

Tomorrow morning, I will break out the rubbing compound and see if I can make it look presentable, if not, off to a body shop for the bad news.

This must be a common occurance with such a low car that's tough to judge the front.
Does anyone have a solution other than those springy things from the 1950's and common sense?

COST TO REPAINT BUMPER LISTED IN POST BELOW

-jazzman
Old 09-21-2011, 06:31 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

I know how you feel dude. I can in hot into the garage one night (90 deg. turn) and kissed the front lip against the garage...thankfully the porter cable and a 4-step polish did the trick.

All in all, lessoned learned, always be sure to stop short.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:08 PM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Same thing here jazzman. I plan on adding a front underbody spoiler which will cover up my mistakes.
However, I'm going to have to be even more careful what with the front lip extending an extra inch lower.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:08 PM

pics?
Old 09-21-2011, 07:12 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry for the hit, but after a few months I would hope you realize how to park your car......

Not really any 'fixes' to help poor parking. An OEM front lip will help cover up stuff but you could just as easily ruin/break/scrape it.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:38 PM

Mine was scraped up when I got it, despite the relatively low mileage. I ALMOST scraped it the other day the same way as you described. When I went back to the car I noticed the bumper was right next to the curb, however I was fortunate and literally stopped close enough that I could maybe stick a dime in the gap but nothing bigger

I'm also going to get a lip to cover the scrapes.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

if rubbing compound doesnt work.. you might wana try some gas on a cloth. works wonders. but your going to have to wash and wax.

but its suppose to be really really bad for the paint but i do it all the time and a good wash/wax after will protect it. doesnt fade the color of the paint or anything.

fixed a hit and run like this
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/897...nt-diy-my-way/
Old 09-21-2011, 09:36 PM
xoz

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah happened to me when first got it, lucky I had already fitted the urethane M splitter. It just bounced right out. Lesson learnt I park always way back.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:51 AM

Mine also had some scrapes when I got it, and I did this the first weekend I owned it. I've started backing in or using pull thrus whenever possible. Our car is also shorter than most - you don't need to pull all the way into a space to be 'in the space'. I usually leave about a foot of clearance between the curb and car and am still not hanging out the back of the spot.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:03 AM

As I said, I had a pro camera rig in my hand, on the way into the building to teach my college photography class. I just could not shoot that photo. It looks like a row of teeth marks, maybe 15 of them.
Later this morning, I will get down on my hands and knees and see how bad it really is.

-jazzman

Quick Reply: Scraped The Front Bumper Pretty Bad Tonight