S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Shopping S2Ks. Questions

Old 11-23-2015, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shopping S2Ks. Questions

Hey guys,

My name is Taylor and I am thinking about getting an S2K and I had some questions I was hoping you guys could answer for me.

My back story: Right now I have a 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata that I have been working on for about 1.5 years. Put about 6k into it and it's making about 225whp and about 230wtq. It's pretty peppy for a car that weights 2400 pounds. I love the convertable experience. Love roadsters. But there are a couple of issues that keep the car from being right for me.

The next step for me would be to get a bigger turbo which is about a 2k investment. That would get me up to about 260whp and 265wtq. Problem is is that any higher that 275whp/wtq and you start getting in to rod bending territory. That's a major bummer. Def don't feel like pulling the motor and building the bottom end. Also too, miatas have no street cred/respect and all of the miata guys are in their mid 60s at the youngest (I'm 28). Also, the 4.10 gearing is lame and I don't feel like paying 1200 bucks to swap it out. Basically can't justify a 25k 11 year old miata.

So I want a convertable roadster car that has good potential for power and is fun to drive. Which brings me to the S2K. Always loved hondas. Had a 2003 Acura RSX Type S for 8 years and love that car until I totaled it.

My goal for the S2K would be:
- pick up one with medium miles (60-80k)
- horsepower goal would be around 400 whp
- I would not want to build the bottom end but at the same time I'd like to keep it at a safe amount of power (this WOULD NOT be my DD. I have a very reliable 2014 Acura ILX Dynamic with the 6 Speed and Civic Si engine as my DD)

So I'll go ahead and get to my questions

1. Finding the right S2K.
- What should I be looking for when shopping for a S2K? Any signs of wear or damage to be on the look out for? What would you look for in a good S2K? I know it's a Honda and the engines are pretty much bulletproof and I love that. My RSX Type S was extremely solid.
- AP1 or AP2?
- Proper budget for an S2K relatively stock with about 60-80k miles?

2. Turboing the S2K.
- What turbo set up/kit would be best to reach my goal of 400whp?
- What other mods would be required (engine management, exhaust, intake etc).
- What would be the budget for the turbo build?
- How much power is the stock bottom end good for safely?
- How much power is the stock transmission/Drivetrain good for?
- How hard is it getting in to the engine and working on it?

Sorry there are so many questions. Just a thorough guy. Really appreciate the help!

Taylor

Old 11-23-2015, 05:42 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

You want an 06+ for easier tuning with hondaate
Old 11-23-2015, 07:14 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

All of your questions have been addressed on this forum countless times. Try searching, and if the search functionality doesn't work well, just use Google and include "s2ki" or "s2ki.com" at the end of your search queries. You'll find what you need to know.

I will comment on adding a turbo to an S2000. The F20C and F22C are amazing motors, 100% designed to be high revving and naturally aspirated. Yeah, there are turbo kits and guys making big horsepower, but many of them are constantly fixing things, upgrading supporting components, working to keep things cool, etc. If you must go forced induction, look at superchargers from the Science of Speed, Vortech, etc. It'd probably be slightly cheaper, more reliable at relatively low boost and better fit the car's natural power band.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:24 PM

Received 346 Likes on 281 Posts

want easy power- like, lots of power? have you thought about a convertible corvette? there is an interesting rear turbo kit for the vette if you want more, or supercharger options.

just to give you more options.

darcy
Old 11-24-2015, 08:20 AM

Hey guys,

Not really the "go for it you got this" answer I was expecting but good information none the less. Thank you for it.

Yeah I was having trouble using the search tool so I thought if someone was bored they could go through the questions. If not NBD.

I wouldn't be going for monster power or anything. Just 400whp or so. Compared to guys making 600, shouldn't be too crazy. Of course I would Def want the thing to be reliable so I'd make sure everything is done right.

I'm just not really a supercharger guy myself. Respect them but I love the theatrics of a turbocharger spooling up and taking off.

And I test drove a C5 Z06 vette and didn't like it. Felt like I was driving a boat. Love how nimble and light roadsters are so I wanna stick with that.

Any other input fellas ?
Old 11-24-2015, 08:24 AM

I think I've seen this car around... If you want to see a good range of options locally, send me a PM. We've got everything from stock to 430hp S2000s in the immediate group.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:02 AM

Where you at fast eddy?
Old 11-24-2015, 12:55 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

the car is easy to work on, everything is there and easily found for the do it yourself type like me. My opinion, i would not buy an S2000 to put 400 hp in it, rather buy something else for the hp. the S2000 is and was built to be a well designed balanced roadster that handles well and is rewarding to drive. Being mid engine gives it a certain appeal for handling that a 50/50 car does not quiet have. you need to get used to a car that handles well and has plenty of hp stock, imho.

everyone who has modded their car has an opinion as to what to do and how much to do. My opinion is enjoy the car the way it is, it deserves street credit just the way it came and will be worth less if you heavily mod it also, right now they are mostly climbing in value. I have an ap2, which has a real cable for the go pedal, that's 04 and 05. after that it's throttle by wire and different.

i wish you luck , again I would go corvette if you want eventually 400 hp.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:30 PM

Jacksonville
Old 11-24-2015, 03:28 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hirev
the car is easy to work on, everything is there and easily found for the do it yourself type like me. My opinion, i would not buy an S2000 to put 400 hp in it, rather buy something else for the hp. the S2000 is and was built to be a well designed balanced roadster that handles well and is rewarding to drive. Being mid engine gives it a certain appeal for handling that a 50/50 car does not quiet have. you need to get used to a car that handles well and has plenty of hp stock, imho. everyone who has modded their car has an opinion as to what to do and how much to do. My opinion is enjoy the car the way it is, it deserves street credit just the way it came and will be worth less if you heavily mod it also, right now they are mostly climbing in value. I have an ap2, which has a real cable for the go pedal, that's 04 and 05. after that it's throttle by wire and different. i wish you luck , again I would go corvette if you want eventually 400 hp.
Well said. There are other options if you want the brute force of 400 HP. The S2000 is a special car as is.