S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

So, I'm takin a test drive at 2pm today...

Old 08-29-2003, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So, I'm takin a test drive at 2pm today...

Well, I'm not big into going to dealerships and test driving cars, but out of plethora of cars I have driven, the s2000 has yet to be one of them. So, I just arranged by phone for a test drive at my local dealer here in manhattan. I already told him, I'm not interested in buying and he quickly informed me that he will still try his hardest to sell it to me

So, any thoughts, anything I should make sure I do or don't do on this test drive? Obviously, I know if the car has less than six hundred miles on it, no going into the upper rpm's (although he stated they have a demo s2000 ) Hopefully there isn't too much traffic on the west side highway, you can usually pull off a full 1-3gear run there....
Old 08-29-2003, 07:13 AM

bugatti212,

If at all possible, definitely try to drive a car that you can rev high. The S2000 isn't very impressive below VTEC...you really have to take it to 6k and above to appreciate it.
Old 08-29-2003, 07:24 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cyber_x
[B]bugatti212,

If at all possible, definitely try to drive a car that you can rev high.
Old 08-29-2003, 07:26 AM

Yeah, and get your loan pre-approved, because if they have one that you can take into VTEC range, you are going to want to buy a new one on the spot

Good luck with the test drive...hopefully you'll have some open space.
Old 08-29-2003, 08:48 AM

The stock stereo sucks! You will not be impressed.

Check out the AC, in my opinion its not very powerful.

Find a smooth road, the S2000 doesnt like potholes at all.

Have fun!
Old 08-29-2003, 09:29 AM

What rkm161 said is true. All rationale goes right out the window if you drive one of these things. Definitely take the demo car up to 9K if possible. Otherwise, you are just driving a civic. Take some corners with enthusiasm too.

So to prevent yourself from buying one. Don't bring any forms of payment with you. No checkbooks or credit cards. I would even sugget that you forget your social security number.

Have fun!
Old 08-29-2003, 01:51 PM

So how did it go?

Old 08-29-2003, 02:45 PM

yeah...how was the drive!
Old 08-29-2003, 03:33 PM

knock, knock..
How did it go? He probably bought it and is driving it as I write.
Old 08-29-2003, 03:36 PM

Alright guys, got back from the test drive couple of hours ago. First off, that was by far the BEST dealer experience I have EVER had.

So I show up a few minutes early, and I see a guy walking by the door with plates in his hand, I quickly say "I have a 2pm S2000 test drive". He replies "Ahh, yes, I spoke to you on the phone, can I have your license?" I hand it over, he says, "I'll be right outside, the car is right there" (Pointing out the window). I walk out the door, and do the normal perimeter walk around.

Car looked great as usual, bit dirty;silver, full red interior. After less than a minute, he's outside, hands back my license and proceeds to lightly screws on the plates. We sit down, and I begun to get familiar with my surroundings. As I'm closing the drivers side door, I'm amazed at the quality level of the door handle, its tightly wrapped with perforated leather, very nice touch. After going thru the push button routine, the car comes to life. First thing I do is look at the odometer...11,200 miles....perfect, no break-in worries. I place the car in 1st, and begin to roll out of the lot.

I take it easy for the first 50 yards or so, just sort of slowly increasing the RPM's in first, getting a feel for the engine. After two lights, I make a left and proceed to merge on to the West Side Highway...I take first all the way to 9k, I take second all the way to 9k, and am progressing decently through third when I decide that the salesman might not be used to this type of thing, since he hasn't spoken a word since I started pushin it, and I can see him grasping the seat fairly hard. I let off and proceeded to do some WOT runs from 15mph to 75mph (Sounds like a lot, but its only really going from the bottom of second all the way to redline or so).

Couple of things that I noticed during those runs. When you pass the VTEC transition, it really resembles the feeling one gets when a 'turbo' kicks in. I've had plenty of seat time in an RSX-S and a Saab 9-3 turbo, and as odd as it sounds, the feeling is closer to the turbo Saab, than the RSX (I'm referring to the kick after VTEC).

Let me also address the relenting 'no torque' issue. If driven properly (being in the right gear, at the necessary time) you will be more than satisfied with the available torque. It is only when you are caught in 4th at 35mph (or similar situation) where you 'understand' where these comments come from. But in my opinion, this is the type of car that 'needs' to be driven properly. If your lounging around in 4th and complain that when you go WOT, its not next snapping, well then, you should be driving something else more in suit with your driving style.

I see the sign for the upcoming exit, and notice it looks like a fairly decent sweeping curve, ok, drop it down to second...and I decide I should just go for it...I hold the throttle steady and just keep going...not to familar with this exit, don't really know if it's a decreasing radius (which it was) and I had no line of sight, but, hell you only live once. One word: Amazing.

The turn lets out right before a red light and I slowly come to a stop. We are now back on 11th ave and driving back towards the dealership. For those of you familiar with 11th ave, some parts of it contain some of the worst potholes anywhere in NYC, which is saying a lot. I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. With all the comments about the stiff suspension, I thought I was in store for a bone jarring ride, but to the contrary, the overall stiffness of the structure allowed the car to maintain its composure. I've been in hardtop cars that couldn't do what this car was doing over the disastrous pavement.

Speaking of the top, I now have to raise one issue I had with the car, and that is the blind spot. Lets just say, you wouldn't be confident changing lanes in nyc on a daily basis, at one point or another, bad luck will hit, and there will be something right in that blind spot. But hey, the problem can be solved very quickly, just drop the top, and visibilty issues go right out the window (literally).

As we start pulling into the dealer lot, my salesman says, "Well, I hope you enjoyed the car, if you have any questions, here is my card, feel free to give me a call sometime". That's it. We got out, shook hands, and I was on my way. No haggling, none of the old, why don't you take a seat so I can get your phone number and we can run through some pricing. Nothing. He was such a great salesman, I would recommend him to anyone.

Sorry for the long rant, but I just wanted to give all those out there another objective viewpoint. Thanks for making it this far.....

Quick Reply: So, I'm takin a test drive at 2pm today...