S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Soft Top Cover - Replacement

Old 05-25-2018, 05:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Soft Top Cover - Replacement

Hi all,
I'm looking to get a soft top cover for my 2005 S2K. So far, I've seen two styles: original, OEM style (black, looks plastic-ish, good enough and what I'm leaning toward) and the CR style (looks fiberglass and/or not flexible, much better looking, probably costs more).

Are these the main options for soft-top covers? If so, does anything have any good, affordable recommendations? I'm trying to avoid buying it from Honda for nearly $500.

Thanks!
Old 05-25-2018, 07:04 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Cr's came with a hardtop, no softtop.
Levi
Old 05-25-2018, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by NNY S2k
Cr's came with a hardtop, no softtop.
Levi
I meant they have cover like this:
Fixed the link

Sorry, was posting from my phone. i fixed the link.

Last edited by S2KLINY; 05-25-2018 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Fixed link
Old 05-25-2018, 08:11 AM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

The link didn't work. But I think you mean something to cover and hide the softop when its open. Either the optional Honda tonneau cover, or something hard like the roll hoop humps that CR uses (which would not work as a softop cover, in CR they cover empty space).

Your options are:

1. Buy a good, used tonneau for around $150

2. Buy an aftermarket hard cover that simulates CR humps, but os made to.cover open softop.

3. Buy a new tonneau for way too much $, if its even still available.

People hardly ever ise their tonneau, so used ones typically have very little wear.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:49 AM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

Well I use mine a lot driving locally. In Northern California the weather is nice and the top is down most of the time. The tonneau cover does a good job keeping things clean and eliminating UV damage. Has a clean finished look. On the road is a different story; I leave the cover at home. I use plastic trim tools to help release the pull knobs for removal.

I have not seen the aftermarket hard cover that simulates the CR humps. Anyone with a link?
Old 05-25-2018, 09:20 AM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

I have not seen the aftermarket hard cover that simulates the CR humps. Anyone with a link?[/QUOTE]

Link ???
Old 05-25-2018, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
The link didn't work. But I think you mean something to cover and hide the softop when its open. Either the optional Honda tonneau cover, or something hard like the roll hoop humps that CR uses (which would not work as a softop cover, in CR they cover empty space).

Your options are:

1. Buy a good, used tonneau for around $150

2. Buy an aftermarket hard cover that simulates CR humps, but os made to.cover open softop.

3. Buy a new tonneau for way too much $, if its even still available.

People hardly ever ise their tonneau, so used ones typically have very little wear.
Thanks. My car is purely for pleasure driving and I don't take it out unless the weather is nice, so I expect I'll have it on a lot. I still want the option to put the top up if needed (living in NY, sometimes rain just happens) but I think the cover looks much cleaner than having the soft-top flopping around while I'm on the highway (exaggerating a little, ha)
Old 05-25-2018, 04:12 PM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

The roof goes up or down in six (6) seconds. Unless you use the tonneau cover and then it takes six (6) minutes. Once you get it off, say to raise the roof in a sudden rain squall ya gotta store it somewhere. You're standing in the rain all this time. I confirmed mine fit. Only time on the car.

-- Chuck
Old 05-25-2018, 06:05 PM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
The roof goes up or down in six (6) seconds. Unless you use the tonneau cover and then it takes six (6) minutes. Once you get it off, say to raise the roof in a sudden rain squall ya gotta store it somewhere. You're standing in the rain all this time. I confirmed mine fit. Only time on the car.

-- Chuck
Exactly. Its such a pain to put on, take off, and store in the car. It also takes up a lot of room. If the trunk has anything in it when you are in that storm, once roof is up, where to put cover?

It looks good...and thats pretty much it. Its very impractical.

If you KNOW its not going to rain, and you won't have to park anywhere for more than a couple of minutes, and...
Old 05-25-2018, 10:02 PM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

For as much as we're known for our grey, damp days here in the Pacific Northwest, once summer sets in, pretty much all we see is sunshine for months on end. So for something like the local cars 'n coffee gatherings for example, it's sometimes nice to throw the cover on as I do like the look. But as you've likely gathered by now, many here are not all that fond of these. If you still want to obtain such a cover after reading the above feedback, I'd suggest starting by placing a wanted ad here on s2ki. You could also check the auto parts listings on you local craigslist as people always seem to be getting rid of these things (again, see the reasons listed by some above). While I like mine okay, I wouldn't recommend spending a fortune on one of these covers.

FYI If you do obtain one of these covers and you find it incredibly frustrating to put it on, then you likely need to replace the soft-top straps with a new replacement set (such as those made by Modifry). This will help snug the soft-top down tighter, presenting lower profile, which in turn makes it much easier to put the cover on. (Worn soft-top straps can also be identified by the fact that they have practically no elasticity left in them.)

Quick Reply: Soft Top Cover - Replacement