S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Some simple questions from a soon to be S2K owner. Thanks!

Old 06-13-2002, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some simple questions from a soon to be S2K owner. Thanks!

Hello everyone. This is my first time here, so I'll introduce myself. My name is Jeff and I live in sunny California. Last Sat. I wrecked my '98 M3 due to circumstances beyond my control. I'm still in a state of shock accompanied by some denial in the fact that my baby is totalled. I really loved her. But more importantly I'm ok and nobody else got hurt. Although she was good to me, as you all know BMW's come with their share of problems, and being that i'm only 20 years old, working and going to school... I dont really have the time or the patience for the problems. I really love the S2000. I've driven my friend's a couple of times and it suits me perfectly. And what's better is that it's a Honda. Damn car will last a million years with the proper care. Anyway, I just had a few quick questions that i'm having a little trouble getting answers to. Since my wealth of knowledge far surpases that of the Honda dealers, I had no where else to turn, so I thank you all in advance for your help. Car and driver says the S2k flies to 60mph in 5.2 : Road and track says 6.2 : and Honda says 6 seconds flat. What is it really? Also, is the optional hard top manually removed, or is it automatic. (i.e. Lexus SC 430) Also, safety concerns. One thing about my M3 was the peace of mind knowing how safe it was. I've noticed that there are no crash tests performed on the s2k's (rightly so, how could anyone destroy such a beautiful car on purpose ) How safe is the s2k really, being only 2800 lbs and not the longest of cars And lastly, MSRP on a 2002 S2k is 32,800 plus their little "markup" Has anyone successfully purchased an S2k without the markup. If not... what's the lowest some of you have payed for one. Thanks guys, looking forward to many enriched and enlightening conversations.

-Jeff
-'98 Cosmos M3 - R.I.P. Jazmine, I love you!
Old 06-13-2002, 05:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To quote from one Car and Driver comparison test:

"Schroeder extracted a 5.8-second sprint to 60 mph by using methods we don't recommend unless you want to be on a first-name basis with your parts man. This car will never shine at the drag strip, but once rolling it's as eager as any other. "

Another Car and Driver test of a press pool car listed the 0-60 time as 6.8 seconds.

I must have missed the article that listed 5.2 seconds for 0-60.
Old 06-13-2002, 05:32 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Jeff,

I'm taking delivery of my car this weekend. Welcome!

I'm sure you'll get a lot of responses from the knowledgable folks on this site. There's really many places to look, BTW. Try the FAQ section, and the Search tab helps you find all kinds of hisorical threads.

I'm pretty sure the optional hard-top is not automatic. That sorta' thing has to be designed in (like the SLK or Mitsu Spyder).

On the safety front, the box frame on this car is really amazing. I can't speak from experience, but I'm pretty sure it'll take a beating. You're not planning to give it one are you !!!

Very sorry to hear about your M3 incident. I'm really jealous that a 20 year old should have such awesome taste in cars (not to mention the green to own 'em). You must be doing something right, chief!

Best wishes from New England.

p.s./ This S2KI web site is really great, and I'm sure you'll get all your questions answerd.
Old 06-13-2002, 05:35 PM

Welcome to S2KI!!! You'll learn its like a big family around here. Anyway You'll find that the times will be a little different because of the different people driving them.
But I'm sure someone here might be able to point you in the right direction about more info on that point.
As for the price I paid $29,900.00 in MA. in Jan. and around here we get them a little cheaper.
Make sure you take a look at the dealer letter here

Again welcome!!

Laterz
-DK

PS: the hard top is not auto. It must be removed by hand(s).
Old 06-13-2002, 05:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeff, since the rear OEM tires are so wide and sticky, it's a bit of a challenge to get them to spin, which is what you need for a good launch. The folks that are into the drag scene say that to get a good launch you need to side step the clutch at 7000 to 8000 RPM. This way when the tires grab, you hopefully will still be in VTEC range and the engine won't bog. I think that this is a mid 5 second car, 0-60. I haven't checked it, myself.

If you read Daniel Carney's book "Honda S2000", you will get a much better idea of just how well this car is constructed. Honda has crash tested this car and I am firmly convinced of their commitment to crash safety. I can attest first hand how well the Odyssey is made. My wife's MY2001 was stopped and we were rear-ended by an Intrigue that was going about 45 when their brakes failed and they hit us, moving us forward about three car lengths. Their car was totaled and my wife's van had some very minor dents in the rear door ($1180 to get it fixed). Most of that was a new bumper cap, labor and paint. I have seen many pictures of crashed S2000's and the people walked away from them. Flips, rolls. etc., just amazing.

The hard top removal and replacement is a two person job, even though it only weighs about 40 lbs. It is a manual job, not automatic.

Welcome to s2ki. For the most part, the owners here are pretty nice. Most of us feel like this is their second home.

Bob
Old 06-13-2002, 06:09 PM

I've heard rumors of people actually gett 0-60 down to 5.0 flat, but they were being very very very hard on the car. I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 06-13-2002, 06:10 PM

In the Denver area there are several dealers selling thier S2000 for MSRP plus delivery. Then there are those who are jacking it up by 5-8 thousand. I feel very secure in mine. It is so responsive that one has to be careful not to take it to extremes.
Old 06-13-2002, 06:26 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey, DarkKnight...

I've been trying to look at that dealer letter for several days now. I'm pretty sure it's an empty Acrobat file (zero length file).

Is something wrong with me or the letter? I figured since you're a moderator you'd know
Old 06-13-2002, 06:34 PM

It is a 0 bits file - which means there is nothing there. I have also tryed to download and get ZERO.
Old 06-13-2002, 07:15 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chazmo
[B]Hey, DarkKnight...

I've been trying to look at that dealer letter for several days now.

Quick Reply: Some simple questions from a soon to be S2K owner. Thanks!