S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Sorry to bring this up agins.. but clutch recommendation?

Old 10-28-2001, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sorry to bring this up agins.. but clutch recommendation?

Sorry to bring this beaten up topic again but I couldn't make up my mind after reading most of the previous threads...

Here is the question:

I'm just an everyday driver that does a lot of VTECH but only does 4000K+ launches 2-3 times a year, give or take.

I'll be taking the car out of the country (where there is no Honda dealer yet) and am thinking of getting a new cluch before doing so.

I don't want to spend a whole lot (after that hardtop I orderd last week..) and just change the plate and may be the presure plate.

I've read that the ACT and the Spoon clutches are just reworked honda parts but looking at their pictures.. I'm not so sure..

Just can't make up my mind......

So... What do you recommend?
I need something that will last me a long~~~ time.

Thanks in advance!

Oh, also... can someone post how much they charged at the dealer for the labor?
Old 10-28-2001, 08:49 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All of the pressure plates that I know of are reworked Honda parts but they are not all the same, different companies use different techniques.

That is not the case with the friction disk.. there are some unique plates that are more effective.

I have a Star clutch (and Toda flywheel) and it is a huge difference from Honda the units. It would take intentional riding to get it to slip. The only downside is that the stage 3 disk does not have the sound damper so it makes the same noise as the original Honda clutches (a small price for the performance).

A search will find pics of my unit and others recommending the ACT, Mugen products.
Old 10-28-2001, 02:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

turboelan -

pressure plates - not sure on the spoon, but the ACT is just a reworked Honda unit and so is Star's. Star has a different philosohpy in how they generate more pressure with the stock pressure plate. IMO, its a lot better than the ACT, but you can only ask cdelena since he's the only one that I know who has one of the Star units.

clutch disks - the ACT is just a Honda unit, not even reworked. Star offers four different versions of the clutch disk. Chris went with the Stage III.

If you are looking at upgrading the clutch I can help you with Star or ACT. Just let me know.

Thanks!
Old 10-28-2001, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks.
I'll think about it a bit.

Buy the way, the HKS mufflers you got me a couple of month ago are sounding better every day.