S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Soundproofed the car today

Old 07-28-2003, 01:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This sounds like a great upgrade - I'd def. be interested in buying a kit!
Old 07-28-2003, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I was the only one going deaf. I just insulated the trunk and doors about 2 weeks ago. Thinking about doing the spare tire cavity too. Also going back to stock exhaust. I might see how the stocker sounds with a testpipe. If this is not too loud, I may have found a balanced set up that fits my ears.
Old 07-28-2003, 02:26 PM

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally posted by Asura
I thought I was the only one going deaf.
WHAT???

DID YOU SAY SOMETHING???

It's a good thing you are typing, because I'm not a lip reader!

-Pete
Old 07-28-2003, 02:38 PM

Not to mention that police can hear you coming a mile away. The best was the testpipe with the Spugen dual. For some reason the BMW alarms in my parking garage and on the street around it get very excited when the hear the Spugen roar.
Old 07-28-2003, 04:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Asura
[B]Not to mention that police can hear you coming a mile away.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:00 PM

Please post pictures of what you did. Thanks.
Old 07-30-2003, 12:36 PM

Ouch!!!$$

This is certainly something I want to accomplish, however I'm running into problems. I have called almost every automotive supply store and car stereo bussiness around with limited success. The ouch is for the cost I have been quoted thus far. $200 for 36 sq ft of Dynamat!! I know this is not the recomended porduct but no one seems to carry or have access to anything else around here.

I have no problem with spending a few buck on my car, but this was just a bit more than I expected. Anyone have a better source for the PROPER material?? Plus I have yet to even locate the accustical foam.

Grrrrr!

I'm not giving up!

Paul
Old 07-30-2003, 12:46 PM

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally posted by ninegrand
Ouch!!!$$

I have no problem with spending a few buck on my car, but this was just a bit more than I expected. Anyone have a better source for the PROPER material??
I can tell you that the "proper" material is going to cost a lot. I've been in contact with chipperman regarding his progress, and I have found out that these type of materials are very expensive.

The good news is that chipperman knows his stuff, and he is doing the job right. He's thoroughly testing the sound levels, before and after the installation of these products, and finding out where the best gains in sound reduction can be made.

I am anticipating that a kit will be produced that will be well worth the money. It's very difficult to put a price on a product that may prevent some level of future hearing loss, but I for one, will be willing to pay the price!

-Pete
Old 07-30-2003, 01:24 PM

Sounds good to me.

I agree, Chipperman seems to know his stuff VERY well.

Is this a kit he is putting together? Too soon to ask but I will anyway; any idea of cost?

Thanks

Paul
Old 07-30-2003, 03:14 PM

A little premature on costs at this time. The shipping on some of the bulk items is more than the item so we are attacking this issue right now. It's always tough to balance costs/results.I have final measurments of material quantities and will be testing final noise levels next week. I will supply the kit with everything you need and detailed instructions. It will be expensive, and it will work. Like any manufacturer, Honda has to meet a price point. The materials we use are all developed for the aircraft industry, and as such, are very light, very expensive, and engineered to do a specific job. Dynamat is simply an asphaltic based damper that works by mass, and so does concrete. It is very cheap, and it actually doesn't work very well. We use a plastic damper that is thinner, way stiffer, and damps about 6 times as well. The foams are designed as decouplers and absorbers. There is a lot more to this, and I'll cover it when the kits are ready. The good news is that by removing some of the factory material, I've got the net weight gain down to about 11 1/2 pounds, and it is pretty evenly distributed front to rear. This is really going to help those of you with subwoofers and aftermarket exhausts. If you want it like a tomb, I can do that, too, but it would cost as much as on OEM seat, not very practical.

Quick Reply: Soundproofed the car today