S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Stance

Old 09-29-2017, 07:18 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
To me these types of mods are like having a screwdriver and using it as a hammer. You can do it but its not what the tool is for.
I generally do that because I'm too lazy to drag my fat a$$ out from under the car to go grab a hammer
Old 09-29-2017, 07:41 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Why do people care? that stanced S2000 could have gone to another owner that might have crashed it into a tree, what does it matter what happens to it?

The REASON people did it is likely because at the time it was first done to an S2000 it was probably out of the "stance" norm and was different than all the VIP sedans out there. Then some people liked how it looked and did it to a few more S2000's. Not many S2000's get turned into drift cars but if someone put an angle kit on an S and then went drifting with it why would I care?
Old 09-29-2017, 07:47 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

People do stuff including buggering their cars just because they can. The vast majority of car accessories are available merely because someone will buy them.

Guys lower our cars all the time but until they reach extremes that require splaying the wheels it's hard to notice and few object. I do equate these cars and drivers to the same guys who wear their pants a foot below their waist and show plaid underwear.

Red (Civic) badges are popular as is stripping all the emblems off the car, something that looks tacky to me. But it's all personal. I just put the OEM exhaust on the curb for trash pickup last Wednesday as I put the Tanabe Medalion Touring exhaust on the car. Yep a bit louder.

My Expedition has two turbochargers (EcoBoost V6) and there's a guy over in the Expedition forum putting an aftermarket blow-off valve (two?) just for the wsssss sound. The blow-offs on this engine vent to the intakes and make no audible noise. I suggested he fit a $19 electronic blow-off valve simulator. Same effect. No warranty issues.

-- Chuck
Old 09-29-2017, 08:32 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It doesn't bother me. What slightly bothers me is when I see one for sale and they have it priced comparably to an unaltered S2000.

Fender rolling, rear bumper tab relocations all negatively affect the value of the car because they are irreversible.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:05 AM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I also bothers me that when Honda finally made a legit roadster that could compete with the Z4s and boxsters of the world, people had to undermine the accomplishment by pulling them back into the ricer relm. I don't see people doing that with the S2000's German counterparts. There are plenty of other cars that are produced in much higher numbers that could be stanced. And to the argument that the owner could crash one into a tree and total it anyway. At least their was hope up to that point that the car was used for its intended purpose.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:42 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
Who.
Cares.
Preach. It's your car, do what you want to it.

While I would never bag my S2000, I certainly have no issues with those who choose to do so. I have driven a few cars on airlift performance suspension and they all handled great on the street. Clearly air suspension is not the best choice for a car that is heavily tracked, but for a street car I have zero qualms.

The frequent rhetoric I observe within this community about "preserving" S2000s in factory form, primarily with the anticipation of increased values in 5-10 years, is laughable to me. At the end of the day, most of these cars are 10-15 years old and worth about 10-25k. As with any other "toy", enjoying the car however YOU want should come first, and if you end up breaking even when you decide to sell, that should be considered a win, not an expectation. Keep your toys, toys, and your investments, investments, IMO. We're not talking about investment-grade vintage Ferraris or P-cars here guys.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:46 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by WVCR-V
I also bothers me that when Honda finally made a legit roadster that could compete with the Z4s and boxsters of the world, people had to undermine the accomplishment by pulling them back into the ricer relm. I don't see people doing that with the S2000's German counterparts. There are plenty of other cars that are produced in much higher numbers that could be stanced. And to the argument that the owner could crash one into a tree and total it anyway. At least their was hope up to that point that the car was used for its intended purpose.
That's my problem with it. The S2000 is a performance car, which sacrifices space, comfort, features, practicality... pretty much everything for handling and performance. Stance works against that singular purpose.

It's like a gorgeous supermodel getting fake lips, a nose job, and huge fake boobs. Sure, a few guys will love it, but the rest recognize that she has ruined her natural and unique gifts.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:57 AM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

To each their own and that is fine.

But yeah, extreme stance in terms of any sort of usability is stupid on any car. More tire and suspension wear, the worst handling on earth and it looks dumb as can be on anything IMO. That last part is subjective, and some like their cars that way. I just hope they drive like grannies. What I do hate is seeing some utlra cambered stanced car with a ricer kid driving it like a race car because he/she thinks it is one. If you do this to your car, recognize it will never handle as good as it even did stock and you should drive it accordingly.

But, I guess if you are ok with more wear, terrible handling, and drive it more carefully, then sure, its your car, your thing. I may think it looks like a huge joke, but looks are subjective. Just be careful to NEVER by a car from those people. A local guy bought a stanced 350Z to make into an autocross car. He figured he was going to have to change out suspension and wheels anyway so he did not care ... untill he found all the damage that setup had caused. Entire subframe was damaged from scraping, to the point the bolts had so little heads left he had to cut/drill them out. most suspension components had undo wear, etc. Cost him way more than he planned to turn it back into a decent, good handling car again.

I DO have more of a hatred for those in MN who run their super stanced cars in the winter on slick roads. No one wants to wait behind you because you cant move in 2 inches of snow, or because you spun your car due to practically non-existant contact patch. We dont care how "stanced" or hellaflush you are, you are just a danger on the road then ;P Its bad enough being stuck behind people on crappy tires in the winter here. You dont HAVE to get winter tires, but dont run on your summers or worn out all seasons please! I passed an X5, stuck in 3 inches of snow on a slight hill, by driving through a snowbank on the side of the road once ... in a SATURN SC1 lol
Old 09-29-2017, 11:57 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by engifineer
.. untill he found all the damage that setup had caused. Entire subframe was damaged from scraping, to the point the bolts had so little heads left he had to cut/drill them out. most suspension components had undo wear, etc. Cost him way more than he planned to turn it back into a decent, good handling car again.l
This always reminds me of this article.... Hella Fail
Old 09-29-2017, 12:25 PM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by rudyy
The best looking S2K is factory stock without any modification.
Negative. Stock ride height looks like it's ready for off-roading to me.

It's their car to do with as they please. I do draw the line when they compromise the suspension to the point it becomes dangerous to drive on city streets (not enough damper travel, camber to the point they have a bicycle's contact patch). I've seen what happens when a car riding on or nearly on the bump stops with very little contact patch hits an expansion joint and I don't want to have to share road with them.

Quick Reply: Stance