S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Steering wheel query

Old 08-18-2001, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel query

Can someone who has removed the leather cover on the steering wheel and replaced it with one of the custom-colored covers tell me what the wheel is like underneath? One of the few things I dislike about my S2K is the crudely stitched leather cover...I find the thick stitches dig into my hands and seriously hamper my driving enjoyment. My old Type R had the same kind of stitching, and when I cut it the leather off there was actually a nice standard wheel underneath.

On the R, I ditched the stock wheel for a Momo, but I'm a little reluctant to lose the airbag in the S2K without having a roll bar and harnesses in the car. In addition, you'd lose the cruise control functions by replacing the wheel unless you did some rewiring and reloaction of the steering wheel controls.

If the wheel underneath is OK aesthetically, ripping off the leather and stitching would be an easy fix. IMO, steering wheels are one thing Honda/Acura does badly...apparently no one on their design teams has driven a Porsche or BMW lately and discovered how a leather cover should be done.
Old 08-19-2001, 03:30 AM

Rick (Rick's Signature Leather Accessories) should be able to answer your question. www.ricks2k.com/home.html
Old 08-19-2001, 04:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We've taken a few apart and I can tell you there is no standard wheel underneath, just a foam padded/covered bare wheel.

I don't understand your gripe with sewng and workmanship on the stock wheel. It'a actually quite well made. There are a handful of manufacturers in the world who do this kind of work, so nearly all-leather covered wheels from any car-maker are made by the same people.

We recover the wheels using a manufacturer who follows the same process used by all the others: the leather is literally shrunk-wrapped onto the wheel using heat and steam. We add extra padding and use higher-quality leather, which makes the wheel a bit thicker and the feel somewhat more comfortable. And of course, we provide color choices.

But, as I said, the stock wheel is quite good as it is (did you know that it's a Momo wheel?).
Old 08-20-2001, 07:45 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rick Hesel
[B]We've taken a few apart and I can tell you there is no standard wheel underneath, just a foam padded/covered bare wheel.