S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Steering wheel redo

Old 10-21-2000, 04:03 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I finally took the plunge and sent a steering wheel to American Stitches (www.american-stitches.com) to have it recovered in red and black perforated leather (supplied from our Townsend leather stock). The leather is shrunk-fit, so that it will be tailored to the wheel just like stock, only the top and bottom pieces will be red to match the seats (American Stitches does lots of OEM leather wheels for both American and overseas manufacturers). They will also add a bit more rubber padding, which will make the wheel about 1/8" thicker.

I will post pictures when the wheel comes back, probably this week. I know many of you don't like this idea, but I'm real eager to see the results.

Since I'll have a spare wheel when my car comes and I get the red/black one installed, I'm willing to do a wheel exchange for anybody who wants to put different color leather on their steering wheel. That will save the cost of a new wheel. Excluding the cost of the wheel, this modification will run about $350, so it's not cheap.
Old 10-21-2000, 06:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're going to start calling you Rick the Leather Dude. I wonder how long it will take PETA to get wind of your nefarious activities? The only thing that could be better is if you bought the cow, butchered it for the beef, got the hide for the leather stuff and sold the beef! Keep up the good work, Rick.

I'd like to see a Rick Hesel Signature leather top liner!
Old 10-21-2000, 09:55 AM

Rick,

since you have removed the stock wheel, can you tell me if the horn pad is easily removeable and replaceable?

My H logo was sort of dented (pre-owned car) and my attempts to remove it didnt help any, so I figure a new one is in order...

There are 3 metal tabs that attach the H-Logo to the horn pad, and since those tabs are broken, I'll be needing a whole new horn pad...

Thanks Rick!
Old 10-21-2000, 10:12 AM
Former Sponsor

S2K_CLS,

Actually, since I don't have my MY2001 yet I ordered a spare steering wheel for this modification. The spare comes without all the other stuff -- steering wheel only. So I can't answer your question until my car comes and we remove the stock wheel.

Rick
Old 10-21-2000, 10:28 AM

Rick you know I am first in line to do this with you.
Old 10-21-2000, 10:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Randy,

Yes, you will be first. As soon as my car comes, the stock wheel will be swapped out on the first day and will be available for your custom work. As I recall, you want a combo red and black, right? Once we have this spare wheel, we'll be able to keep a swap going for other owners who want to do this.

My plan is to send the spare from my car to American Stitches along with the leather you want, have it sent directly back to you when it's finished. You install it, and send me the spare wheel in trade. We then use that spare for another owner's modifcation.

BTW, I'm marvelling at your posts on the clear headlights and rear strut bar and all the other incredible things you've done.
Old 10-21-2000, 12:36 PM

Rick

Thanks, and let me know when you get your car in, so you can tell me about the process

thanks!

Mike