S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Storing the s2k in the winter?

Old 08-16-2007, 12:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mystique,Aug 16 2007, 03:42 PM
I live in California so I'm going to be driving this car all year long, but during the winter, I want to get a hardtop though. I think that's what you should invest in.
Actually NO! He lives in NY, NY uses salt in the winter like you cannot believe. the salt promotes rust at a frightening rate. I have a HT, but I would never drive my car here in the winter!
Old 08-16-2007, 12:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rocrfella,Aug 16 2007, 09:50 AM
lol..i live in florida...so this car drives all season.
We do too, but it's even better since we don't have to contend with the Snowbirds.

Snowbirds, for you uneducated people, are the big city Yankees who go down to Fla for the winter. They've never driven in their lives and now they only drive when they are down south. They don't quite grasp the concept of a motorized vehicle.

Living in Florida is where I learned to talk to myself whilst driving. OK, maybe it was screaming at the people who were sure their cars would tip over if you cornered at anything over 5 mph and who thought it was quite logical to stop at corners and get out their glasses to read the street signs so they'd know whether to turn or keep on going straight.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by tof,Aug 16 2007, 03:09 PM
+1 on Covercraft.
I prefer NOAH to Weathershield
Also before you put up the car for the winter I would:
Covercraft is indeed the best pattern maker, the fit on my cover is amazing, on both my CRX-SiR and the S

Never really experienced the Noah, but it too is a very well respected product for outdoor protection. My spoiled brats have a garage, I have the Evolution 3 fabric on the CRX-SiR and the Evolution 4 on the S, the difference in numbers is because I bought the CRX-SiR cover so very long ago. I went for the Evolution just because of the thickness, it's amazing and it sure has protected my cars from mishaps in the cold garage, but it is just not as good for outside work.

Winter storage is a very entertaining subject, we all have our own little ideas... I would never drain the tank that is a very bad idea, you want the smallest amount of air in there, not the greatest. An empty tank will collect a lot of condensation as the car gets cold and then warms up, a tank should be filled virtually to the top with premium so the air space is tiny, and yes fuel stabilizer is a good thing. And what's with the drain the windshield washer reservoir? Just put quality washer fluid in it that has anti-freeze. We have winter temps in the -15F range and I have never had a problem with ice forming in the washer reservoir.

Rodent protection? That is always one of the things on the very top of my list.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:04 PM

Searching for winter storage will bring up lots of threads, this is a good one
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...pic=153269&hl=
Old 08-16-2007, 02:22 PM
tof

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,312 Posts

I see your point about condensation but I just don't think it would amount to that much over the winter. But with stabilizer a tank of premium would be fine for several months so I would have to ultimately agree.

I suggest draining the washer fluid bottle not to avoid freezing but because the stuff will degrade in time...But that's just me. For four months it is, no doubt, overkill to worry about it.

Also a REALLY good point about keeping the varmits out.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks a lot of the info guys... that was really helpful. I'll look into the car covers you guys suggested. I didn't know the OEM was that bad... I guess it's not meant for the winter (then again I don't have one )

As of now, 5 coats of Zaino is my only defense against the elements, but looking at the other threads, I think I"m a few months early for preparing for winter.... I guess the cooler temperature at night recently has got me started thinking...
Old 08-17-2007, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by tof,Aug 16 2007, 05:22 PM
I see your point about condensation but I just don't think it would amount to that much over the winter.
I have been around classic cars my entire life, and as I live in Upstate NY I can assure you storing toys/assets for the winter is the norm here. I'm involved with many car clubs I can safely say draining a gas tank is a very unpopular idea, way too much work for a car that will be driven in a handful of months. Trust me, an empty tank will indeed collect a lot of water given temperature fluxuations. If I were you I would seriously rethink this procedure of yours. I'm just trying to look out for your S.

It's safe to assume this was has neen put into winter storage a few times

Old 08-17-2007, 07:02 AM

WOW. A lot of good info here, Thanks!!!

I guess that since I live in VA and we get about 1-2 months (from mid Jan to mid March) in which the temperatire stays below 40 degrees during the day, full winter prep is not necessary (and too much work).

I think I can really use a cover for bad weather and snow, and avoid driving the car after the salt and sand show-up.

Any other suggestions?
Old 08-17-2007, 07:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PJCC,Aug 16 2007, 11:32 AM
In VA we don't get that much snow, but I have the same concern. It does get cold and our car's tires don't do well when temps go below 40deg.
I thought that too, but as long as you don't go racing around you can drive the s2k pretty much year round in VA. I just leave mine in the garage when we get snow/ice.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by dewke,Aug 17 2007, 11:06 AM
I thought that too, but as long as you don't go racing around you can drive the s2k pretty much year round in VA. I just leave mine in the garage when we get snow/ice.