S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Suspension Mod. Question Stock Class Legality

Old 11-14-2000, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the Mugens/Showa N-0 suspension kit available from King Motorsports a legal modification in Stock Class SCCA Solo II.???
Old 11-14-2000, 10:36 AM
vmb

I don't think so. I'm very new to the autoX thing, so I'm sure someone else can confirm or refute my info- I believe that the only suspension mods you can do are alignment changes. No spring or shock changes can be done. Tire changes can be made, but the stock wheel size (including offset) must be used. I learned this the hard way when I made some changes to my Alfa. Without doing almost all of the allowed mods in "Prepared," the car was very non-competitive. I like the restricions, as stock class is a way to race and be competitive without spending a bunch of $$$. It's all about the driver!
Old 11-14-2000, 10:45 AM

You can look up the stock rules. But basically "stock" allows certain changes like: shocks, front sway bar, catback exhaust, air filter (not full intake), alignment, same size wheels of any weight and within 1/4 inch offset are allowed as are DOT race tires. Things like springs, headers, cold air intakes, rear sway bars, body or suspension braces, chips, etc are not allowed

Stan
Old 11-14-2000, 01:09 PM

The Mugen/Showa kit is *not* legal for Stock class solo, but if you call Scott at King Motorsports he can set them up so you can use the stock springs. That's the difference. You must retain the stock springs and ride height. You can have threaded shocks like the Mugens, but you have to tack-weld the spring collars in place to mimick factory ride height and you must use the stock springs.

Give Scott a call and he'll help you out.
Old 11-14-2000, 01:37 PM

This is where things get a bit tricky with the rules. My 1998 SCCA Solo Events rules book states that you can Not modify the suspension beyond it's designed factor range ( rule 13.8 ). It then could be construed that you could change the springs as long as you did not change the ride height and or modify the spring perch. I believe the Mugen suspension kit allows for spring adjustment which may make their use in Solo II Stock illegal.
Anyone else with an opinion??
[QUOTE]Originally posted by E30M3:
[B]You can look up the stock rules.
Old 11-14-2000, 03:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Jason is correct. You can have threaded collar shocks as long as the spring perch is EXACTLY where stock would be, it is fixed in place, and it mounts into the stock location. The ride height must be the same as stock.

I have threaded collar JRZ's on my car that have the spring perch fixed. These were installed by Greg Fordahl and Curt Ormiston, both National Champions for Y2K (Greg for FP and Curt for SS - both running JRZ's).

The Mugen ones MAY not qualify for stock class even with the stock springs if they otherwise are different in dimensions than the stock ones...

Annie
Y2K(+1) S2K
2nd at Nationals ASL