S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Tire safety and brakepad question

Old 03-31-2019, 06:30 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

Got another car?

I'd garage this car until the tires and brakes are fit for driving. The sidewall cracking indicates (to me anyway) that these are ancient tires long past their use date. A sidewall blowout (vs just a flat tire) at any speed can be uncontrollable until the car strikes something solid. Just saying.

You're replacing all 4 tires, of course, and they're being shipped as I type this?

-- Chuck
Old 03-31-2019, 08:29 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

I suppose you could risk killing another human being and find yourself charged with a felony. Or, you could wait a couple of days and have new tires installed.

Up to you.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:10 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

OP has been researching tires for 2 months now.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...019-a-1190766/
Old 04-01-2019, 07:12 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Got another car?

I'd garage this car until the tires and brakes are fit for driving. The sidewall cracking indicates (to me anyway) that these are ancient tires long past their use date. A sidewall blowout (vs just a flat tire) at any speed can be uncontrollable until the car strikes something solid. Just saying.

You're replacing all 4 tires, of course, and they're being shipped as I type this?

-- Chuck
I dont. There is no tirewall visible on these pics. The few dry cracks are on the treadsurface near the sholders. Shoulders all rubber. Tire is very evenly worn. Yes they are worn out, but sidewalls are fine. They have outstanding feel at the mo. I guess due to low profile.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by freq
OP has been researching tires for 2 months now.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...019-a-1190766/
Well observed!
Old 04-01-2019, 07:26 AM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by simons
I dont. There is no tirewall visible on these pics. The few dry cracks are on the treadsurface near the sholders. Shoulders all rubber. Tire is very evenly worn. Yes they are worn out, but sidewalls are fine. They have outstanding feel at the mo. I guess due to low profile.
Just a note on cracks in the rubber (aka dry rot). Last year I was cruising on an interstate here in NJ in my TLX and got a warning on my TPMS about dropping pressure. I figured I had a nail. Tires were just shy of 3 years old; original from when I bought it new, and 90K on them (lots of highway). Stopped to get (what I figured was) a nail/puncture fixed, and was shown they were leaking because they were dry rotted. Now, looking at mine, they were worse off - tread was just about at the min and I was planning to replace them in the next few weeks, but the sidewalls near the bead were cracked all the way around with some bad areas - that's what caused the leaking.

Moral: It might not be a tragic blow out - you may just find yourself stranded with a flat. I've learned my lesson - yes I pushed those about 4-5 months farther than I should have, but I won't let that happen again. With the S2000, it's not an easy fix, especially if you lose a rear tire. That's two tire changes on the side of the road, or at a minimum a flat bed to the nearest garage. Long story short, I don't think you will have a huge blow out / lawsuit / end of the world situation, but it's still not good to drive on them. Get them taken care of. If it's cost that's an issue, look at the Firehawk Indy 500's. Exceptional tire for cheap. About $550 for all four, installed.

Last edited by datadr; 04-01-2019 at 07:42 AM.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by rpg51
I suppose you could risk killing another human being and find yourself charged with a felony. Or, you could wait a couple of days and have new tires installed.

Up to you.
I can assure you there are much more dangerous people/cars on the road than me.

Besides, most, if not all s2000's that were crashed into poles, ditches, trees, driven from mountains and into other cars had good or new tires. And mostly bad drivers.

I too have spun my car in the wet when I was a noob driver. On good tires however.

So good tires is absolutely important, but no security for safety in an S2000 on the road.

A nearby Honda service dealer installed 4 new tires on an s2000. Made an allignment. A mechanic took the car for a testdrive on a moisty day and totalled it into a canal!

Just saying.

I think most S's and other sportscars are crashed by pushing to hard, lift oversteer when entering corners too hot on the streets or unforseen cicumstances in combination with speed.

Driving carefully and responsibly and knowing the car is probably much more important than just a set of tires.

However, thanks for all concerns and info.
Regards
Old 04-01-2019, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by datadr
Just a note on cracks in the rubber (aka dry rot). Last year I was cruising on an interstate here in NJ in my TLX and got a warning on my TPMS about dropping pressure. I figured I had a nail. Tires were just shy of 3 years old; original from when I bought it new, and 90K on them (lots of highway). Stopped to get (what I figured was) a nail/puncture fixed, and was shown they were leaking because they were dry rotted. Now, looking at mine, they were worse off - tread was just about at the min and I was planning to replace them in the next few weeks, but the sidewalls near the bead were cracked all the way around with some bad areas - that's what caused the leaking.

Moral: It might not be a tragic blow out - you may just find yourself stranded with a flat. I've learned my lesson - yes I pushed those about 4-5 months farther than I should have, but I won't let that happen again. With the S2000, it's not an easy fix, especially if you lose a rear tire. That's two tire changes on the side of the road, or at a minimum a flat bed to the nearest garage. Long story short, I don't think you will have a huge blow out / lawsuit / end of the world situation, but it's still not good to drive on them. Get them taken care of. If it's cost that's an issue, look at the Firehawk Indy 500's. Exceptional tire for cheap. About $550 for all four, installed.
Old 04-01-2019, 01:56 PM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

The few dry cracks are on the treadsurface near the sholders.
Quibbling.

-- Chuck
Old 04-01-2019, 02:23 PM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

So you asked if driving on corded (Those are corded and are not safe) tires and completely trashed brake pads is safe ... people tell you it is not, so you argue that it is ok because of anecdotal evidence of people crashing for other reasons ? Sounds like the typical internet to me! lol
The following users liked this post:
sssmokin (04-02-2019)

Quick Reply: Tire safety and brakepad question