S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Tonneau cover update: (another long post).

Old 01-20-2002, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've made my desire for this product pretty clear in the past, and it still stands - if you can make it a quality product for less than $500, I'll buy the first one off the line...
Old 01-21-2002, 09:48 PM

drogers, not if I hear about it first!

cal
Old 01-22-2002, 05:56 AM

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts

UPDATE:

Ok...in the last week, I've updated a design to accept the use of the aero screen. This cover has turned from a two piece cover to a three piece cover.

Now I just need an upholsterer to put this together. The mounting points to the previous design were pretty "solid", and I haven't changed them.

If someone can find me a reputable upholsterer in the upper northwest IL area, I will get right on getting a second prototype made.
Old 01-22-2002, 03:59 PM

I'm a new member to this club. Re: the toneau, I'm intrested in what you come up with. I am already planning to talk with upholstery guys myself soon and WILL have something on my car by late May. As a former Triumph owner, a toneau cover is crutual to anyone that has a convertable and wants to leave their top down in the summer and spare the back window from constant abuse from the up and down that you have to do know. And who wants to leave their interior exposed to the sun light, leaves, and bird droppings constantly. You can also bet the carpet will fade in a short period of time if not protected. Honda should have forseen this and offered this as an option.

You should find that a zipper will allow you to stretch the tuneah better than velcro provide you secure the tuneau adequately around the parameter. As you know, you will want the toneau to be taunt to avoid the bubble/suction effect that you already expereinced when you drove the car fast. I would suggest you install snap fasteners on the edge of the door and around the back like old british cars did instead of trying to be creative with the window channels. Its already a proven method and it will last foreever. If you are driving with the top down, the windows should be down and never up. If you are putting them up, then you must be cold and you should probably just put the top up.
Old 01-22-2002, 06:38 PM

Well, clayn et al, you're certainly right about the bird droppings. In fact, I was the unwelcome recipient of a major message somewhere in Monterey.

As to windows up, it's quite comfortable with the top down, windows and windscreen up and heater at max output even in 45 deg. weather, which is about as cold as it ever gets here in beautiful San Diego. Maybe I'm a wimp and look weird, but it's an approach that's comfortable and enjoyable for me, so I'm going to stick with it. (And I hope the tonneau design permits it.)

cal
Old 01-22-2002, 07:29 PM

Luder, can you give me an answer to my earlier post. What happened to the hinged glass rear window you were working on??
Old 01-22-2002, 09:08 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Luder94

....As a point of information, the leading edge of the tonneau cover (windshield side) requires no hardware to mount and is mounted by tabs of velcro (there is no wind turbulence to pull at that mounting location). The sided of the cover are mounted into the window crack, allowing for use of the cover with the windows up or down and/or the convertible top up or down......

Luder94: Glad to see you back on the attack. Also glad to hear that your concept will now work with Rick's windscreen. Reference the mounting of the side of the covers "into the window crack," could you give a little more explanation of this. Is any removal or alternation of the window mechanism contemplated? Also, would a plastic or vinyl zipper work and avoid the concerns expressed regarding scratching?

TIA

dgl1
Old 01-22-2002, 09:22 PM

I am definitely in for a boot/tonneau combo. My only major complaint with the car is the boot cover. I hate the unfinished look without the boot but I also hate getting out and fussing with it to take it off and put it on.
Old 01-23-2002, 06:49 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Luder94
[B]..When I tested on my car there were only three issues that I faced....the lack of use of my expensive wind screen (and the buffeting of wind into the cabin it caused), the "bubble-up" effect on the tonneau when I drove at speed (the center of the cover would want to fly up due to air pressure and was resolved when I put the windows up, and the fact the my torso was very warm but my ears got so gawd dam cold and I didn't have ear muffs.
Old 01-23-2002, 10:17 PM

Originally posted by dgl1
.... Secondly, the attached tonneau will stow behind the seats when occupied , correct?
That would not be a requirement as far as I'm concerned. If I had one, it would stay on most of the time; when off, I'd stow it in the boot or the garage.

cal

Quick Reply: Tonneau cover update: (another long post).