S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Too dangerous for first car?

Old 04-25-2018, 08:45 AM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by fuzzysig
so let me get this straight
calling s2000 a very good handling car despite it being a bitch on the corners and having to be a professional driver in order to actually drive it
i spun out 3 times since i bought the car 6 months ago. not even doing anything crazy just accelerating a little bit part throttle on good all season performance tires
its similar to german car owners claiming their car is reliable( when you meticulously maintain it at the dealership)

lets get real here.
having to get a degree in s2000 driving does not make it a great car.
being pretty much the only RWD honda besides NSX is what makes this car great car by default... unless you can afford nsx
the engine though is a different story , engine is impressive

here are some other lies people tell to themselves:
mp3 sounds as good as cd if you listen to it on a cheap stereo
all motor d series can be fast, if you racing against other d series single cam
fat chicks are good too, if you lower your expectations
s2000 is a great handling car, if you are a world class driver and it never rains where you live
you can always trust your government they're there to protect your rights and freedoms
Thanks for the lesson in bad grammar; surprised Darwin hasn't gotten you yet.

You 100% do not have to be a world class driver to pilot one of these....that said it's much less forgiving than a lot of vehicles.

Go get a Miata and beat the tar out of it kid; you will not even feel bad afterwords. Not to mention insurance, parts, and initial capital are all less on the MX-5.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:41 AM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Lol, something is wrong with your car or you're used to driving a toned down FWD car that lets you do whatever you want to it and never places a foot wrong.

Also, Honda makes another GREAT RWD car. The S660.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unfortunately the S has become too affordable even people like fuzzysig could afford one...

Either you need better suspension / tires...but one mod you really need is driver mod.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:05 PM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

He has 'really good' all season tires. So it can't be tires...

No one mentioned the bump year old thread yet...
Old 04-25-2018, 02:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dws o6 are good all season tires they are the most used tires in WA and are one of the best rated all season tires...
I see at least one car a day with those tires on
last 4 roadsters we had were using those tires
and yes its possible that something is wrong with my car. but since everyone just assumes I'm a bad driver because I spun out. I get barely any suggestions about what might be wrong with the car
Old 04-25-2018, 04:09 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

First step, post alignment numbers.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:41 PM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

You've spun out three times & don't seem to have looked for a clear issue on your car.

The fleshy bit behind the steering wheel is the issue.
The following users liked this post:
HawkeyeGeoff (04-25-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 08:50 AM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

Originally Posted by fuzzysig
dws o6 are good all season tires they are the most used tires in WA and are one of the best rated all season tires...
I see at least one car a day with those tires on
last 4 roadsters we had were using those tires
and yes its possible that something is wrong with my car. but since everyone just assumes I'm a bad driver because I spun out. I get barely any suggestions about what might be wrong with the car
DWS are indeed great all season performance tires. But this car seems to HATE All Season tires. It seems to react very poorly, some have described it as dangerous, to anything less than UHP summer tires (and really prefers max performance summer or better). It needs the stiff sidewall inherent in these sorts of tires construction.

In any case, I must concur with those suggesting an introspective solution. Even if the issue is not your current level of driving talent, you certainly should want to improve something about yourself when you have 3 repeat failures at something and you don't think to investigate the cause. Even if its just improving your curiosity as to why this happened and researching potential causes.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:20 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It is honestly all about knowing your limit. If you have a mindset like that, your car will remain in one piece.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:11 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
...this car seems to HATE All Season tires. It seems to react very poorly, some have described it as dangerous, to anything less than UHP summer tires (and really prefers max performance summer or better). It needs the stiff sidewall inherent in these sorts of tires construction.
For what its worth - I have a set of highly rated all season tires mounted on my oem wheels (ap1) that I use to store the car, and also to drive at the start and end of the season when the weather around here tends to be quite cold, and wet. I have been pleasantly surprised by these tires. They perform very well for lively street driving. They honestly don't give up much at all to the max performance summer tires I use most of the time. The all seasons I have are BF Goodrich g-force comp-2 A/S. I like them.

Quick Reply: Too dangerous for first car?