S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Track time tomorrow!!! Need some advice

Old 10-27-2000, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys, I am going to a track tomorrow and it will be my first ever. Quite excited =)
Here is a few question,

1) Anything to watch out for? Safety wise.

2) I am not competent in dealing with car stuff(actually, it's nil experience). I read that I have to bleed the brakes and change the pads after the race(will ask my mechanic to do it). Is there anything else I need to do?

thanks people.
Old 10-27-2000, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would strongly suggest you just take it easy and not try to mimic Mario. Just go as fast as you feel comfortable with and enjoy. Also, Put some air in your tires, 38psi. If you don't you will find yourself understeering through corners. Go easy on the gas coming out of the corners, don't stab, just ease on it.

Have fun, wish I were going

Old 10-27-2000, 05:26 PM

Just in case you don't take cthree's advice:

"If you start to spin, both feet in"

Of course, that's clutch and brake, doesn't include the gas pedal! It's almost always better to let your car go off the track into a runout area than to fight for control, suddenly get traction with your car heading in the wrong direction and stuff it into a wall. (I saw a brand-new M3 do this a couple of years ago.) You also don't want the car going backwards while it's still in second gear!

There will probably be designated passing areas, usually only on straights. When coming out of a turn, make sure to stay to the right (clockwise track) and watch your right side view mirror for overtaking cars. Don't get in their way!

When coming to a curve with a faster car in front of you, make sure that you're watching them for any possible loss of control. You don't want somebody spinning in front of you and then running right into them.

Relax, have fun and don't push yourself beyond the limits of your abilities or comfort zone!
Old 10-27-2000, 05:26 PM

Although I am not an expert on the track yet --- only been a few times --- a few suggestions follow that I have learned or be taught:

1. Wear a Snell 95 helmet and neck brace.

2. Don't take _any_ chances. Do not outrun your skill or the capabilities of the car.

3. Learn the track --- line, cornering, exit --- the goal is _not_ high speed but precision, smoothness, safety, and learning the dynamics of your car. High speed can come later.

4. Watch the flags!

5. Brake in straight line --- aggressively when need be.

6. Drink plenty of water, not soft drinks.

7. Remove and replace lock anti-theft wheel nuts.

8. Remove _all_ loose items from car and trunk --- including floor mats, cell phones, CDs, glove box items (oops, not one on S2000), etc. You do not want to have an accident and scatter debris on the track nor do you want to have small missiles ejected from you car.

9. Keep all limbs inside the car at all times.

10. Check tire pressure. Tires perform differently the first laps than they do in later laps due to wear and thermal effects in the tires and track surface.

11. Watch any gauges and smells.

12. Ride with an experienced driver to show you the line and points on the track.

13. Get someone to ride with you to give guidance and suggestions.

14. Ask questions!!!!!

15. Be careful and have a good time!!!! Take some photos for posting.

Good luck.

------------------
Old 10-27-2000, 05:30 PM
pfb

[quote]13. Get someone to ride with you to give guidance and suggestions.[quote]

REALLY IMPORTANT!

The more laps you can do with someone else driving first, then with them riding along with you driving the more you will learn...
Old 10-27-2000, 05:37 PM

[quote]Originally posted by pfb:
[quote]13. Get someone to ride with you to give guidance and suggestions.

REALLY IMPORTANT!

The more laps you can do with someone else driving first, then with them riding along with you driving the more you will learn...
Don't really race my S, but that is REALLY good advice. We had a teacher from the Barber racing school come down and show us a few pointers. Nothing beats hands on training.
Old 10-27-2000, 05:40 PM

Even better, let them drive the car. Most instructors would jump at the chance. You'll learn even more than having them sit in the passenger seat and tell you what to.
Old 10-27-2000, 08:05 PM

Hey
Did one tour at RA
One full day at gingermann
And have 9500 miles on my S.
I just changed the brakes today, they where not even half way yet. But Im going to gingermann sun. So check the brakes before you have them changed. they may not need it.
Although you will probably burn up the stock brake fluid.

Important dont use you emergency brake at all during or after the race.

Have a great time, don't push it.

aquatic
Old 10-28-2000, 02:34 AM

Learn from Greg Stevens. Go to: http://www.s2000online.com/forums/showthre...hp?threadid=396