S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Type S Jump Starter Kit

Old 11-26-2018, 12:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Type S Jump Starter Kit

Went to Costco today and decided to vuy this Type S Jump Started and Portable Power bank with a 10,000 mAh high capacity on sale from $59.99 to $49.99.
Bought it simply because it's compact.

Anyone's gotten this as well or a much better one?
Old 11-26-2018, 08:02 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought the Anker version of this a couple of years ago. Jumpstarted my motorcycle once after getting stranded and immediately bought more. I won't ride/drive without one. I like the style you have because it's got the flashlight and car charge a phone. In my Jeep, it's part of my Oh Shit/survival gear.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:33 PM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

I live out west, outside of cold weather. I am much more likely to have a flat than need a jump start. I acquired both this pump and plunger tire plugger kit just for that. I used the tire repair on a truck flat and it worked great. I have used the pump a number of times; great build quality and performance. Both items fit on top of the spare wrapped in microfiber towels so they will not make noise. Before I obtained these supplies, I had a flat (with pax and full trunk) that required me to put the flat tire on a trunk rack. Without the truck rack I would have had to leave a bunch of stuff behind. So, hopefully, faced with another flat situation, I can repair and go.

BTW, Pashnit is a great site not just for motorcycles but great access to roads ideal for the S2000.

Buy Now: Cycle Pump Motorcycle Air Compressor, EZ Air Tire Gauge, Tire Repair Kit | Pashnit Moto

Stop & Go Tire Plugger Gun | SNG-1075 | Pashnit Moto

Old 11-28-2018, 04:17 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Link to the trunk rack?

Looks nice.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:04 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
I live out west, outside of cold weather. I am much more likely to have a flat than need a jump start. I acquired both this pump and plunger tire plugger kit just for that. I used the tire repair on a truck flat and it worked great. I have used the pump a number of times; great build quality and performance. Both items fit on top of the spare wrapped in microfiber towels so they will not make noise. Before I obtained these supplies, I had a flat (with pax and full trunk) that required me to put the flat tire on a trunk rack. Without the truck rack I would have had to leave a bunch of stuff behind. So, hopefully, faced with another flat situation, I can repair and go.

BTW, Pashnit is a great site not just for motorcycles but great access to roads ideal for the S2000.

Buy Now: Cycle Pump Motorcycle Air Compressor, EZ Air Tire Gauge, Tire Repair Kit | Pashnit Moto

Stop & Go Tire Plugger Gun | SNG-1075 | Pashnit Moto
The Stop and go plug repair is great! Easy to use and fast! For air, I use a Ryobi airpump that uses the same battery as my drill set; yours is probably more compact.

Last edited by alSpeed2k; 11-28-2018 at 05:15 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:13 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by SaintS2000

Went to Costco today and decided to vuy this Type S Jump Started and Portable Power bank with a 10,000 mAh high capacity on sale from $59.99 to $49.99.
Bought it simply because it's compact.

Anyone's gotten this as well or a much better one?
My friend told me not to buy this one (or any unit made by WinMax for that matter) as it was garbage. I decided to purchase one anyways, figured there was always the "Costco warranty". Last weekend our Lexus wouldn't start, I charged up the unit and it worked fine. The car drove fine for a few days then failed to start again, I pulled out the charger again, the blue lights lit up, but this time it went completely dead. When I brought it inside to charge again, it showed 4 bars. So, in my opinion, I don't think this unit is very reliable and wouldn't depend on it. I ordered a different brand from Costco online (in Canada), I'll keep my fingers crossed that this other unit is better. YMMV but this was my experience.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:31 PM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

lithium isnt good for long term charge storage, unless it is at storage voltage(3.7v/cell). Keeping a pack like this charged all the time will kill its capacity and ampacity(c rating). These types of packs are best if you actually cycle them regularly. Having lithium charged fully for more than 48 hours is where the damage starts. Which means these are best kept with you to bump charge your phone or laptop so its constantly being used and then charged.

If your purpose is emergency only and always fully charged in the trunk, lead acid or a nickel based batteries are better.

It really depends on your use-case as to which battery type of "jump" pack.. ie are you just jumping your car or constantly jumping everything else you need in your life on the go...
Old 11-29-2018, 08:40 AM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonMG
Link to the trunk rack?

Looks nice.
I did a fair amount of research (including some European ones) and settled on the Surco DR 1005. This is the one made for the S2000. Perfect fit.

I bought a used one on eBay for $100. I added some oak slats. I treated them with airplane dope and riveted them on the rack. I wanted something to keep loose items off the trunk and I liked how the overall look of the wood added to the rack.

I wanted something that was easy to remove and install; it takes about 1 minute each way. No marring. I do put down some packing tape around the edge of the trunk lip for extra protection. I just peel it off when I remove the rack.

Couple of closeups of my rack. You do need to be careful that the weight of the stuff on the rack will not slam the trunk down too hard. Just support it when closing.
The last picture shows the latch locking screw piece. There is just enough room in the trunk lid gap for the piece to fit.

The following users liked this post:
JasonMG (11-29-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 05:29 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Most of these little lithium jump packs are only good for starting your car if the car needs a little boost. If your battery is really drained, good luck trying to start reliably especially when it's cold outside. I've had many of these packs and while they do work here and there, they just weren't reliable enough for me to keep in my car. Minus the largest of the pack ($$$), they do not provide a lot of current, despite what the box says. Of all the ones I've own, I liked my Schumacher SL1 the most. It comes with LiFePO4 cells which I prefer for high current application.

But the one that sits in my trunk now is the Jump n' Carry JNC770. There is a reason why it's a very popular unit and why many tow truck guys carry it. It will crank pretty much anything short of a very large diesel truck. It doesn't care if it's 10*F outside or if your battery voltage is down to 7v. S2000 owners probably wouldn't want one since it weighs 23lbs.