S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Ultimate Dealer Service Nightmare Story

Old 11-27-2000, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This happened to a very good friend of mine; sorry it's second-hand, but it IS true.

Said friend was the proud owner of a bright red 1998 Viper GTS Coupe. One day, he took the car to the local Dodge dealer for scheduled maintenance. The mechanic assigned to his car decided to take the car for a "test drive". He wasn't too experienced with mega-torque; while out travelling at hyper-legal speeds, he stomped on the gas pedal in the middle of a corner (duh!) and spun the car into a curb sidey-ways. The damage was fatal to the car; he destroyed the suspension on the right side, and (gulp!) bent the frame.

My friend goes to pick up his car, the dealer tells him what happened, then says "too bad, so sad, your insurance will have to pay, look at the fine print in the service contract you signed" (betcha never knew that you were signing for that, eh?). Then they wanted to REPAIR the car (hahahahaha!). What to do?

To make a long story short, after several letters to the dealer, Chrysler Canada, etc., etc. from an expensive lawyer, a new Viper was ordered for him. Of course, he had to wait in line; the damage was done in mid-1999; he didn't get his new car until May 2000!

Old 11-27-2000, 04:55 PM

Between you and Insomniak's gut wrenching story, I think I'm gonna babysit my Stook everytime it goes in for servicing! (You know, take a thick book and kick back in the driver's seat after I schedule some vacation time from work).
Old 11-28-2000, 04:45 AM

Yikes!! What a complete pisser!! Along the same lines, there was a man with a black Lamborghini Diablo near where I used to work. He had his car in for service one day. Later the technician took it out for a test drive, he was motoring down the road when an Acura Legend pulled out in front of him and the Diablo slammed into side of the Acura. The front of the Lambo was destroyed but not totalled and it wasn't the technician's fault. It made me want to hurl though when I saw it. The story made the front cover Metro section of the Washington Post!
Old 11-28-2000, 06:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if the acura owner realized that his car was worth what it would cost just to repaint the diablo.