S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

VSA or not to VSA?

Old 04-22-2006, 07:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ulitmately it's a personal choice. VSA, no VSA. Are you the type of person that buys extra insurance coverage? And is 4 months a really a long time, sure the younger you are it seems that way.

If you are type of person that:
- is going to go to learn better driving technique through performance driving schools or track days
- has good self-control, common sense and is always an alert driver
- or never pushes the car

Sure skip the VSA. Believe it or not people have survived without electronic aids. It just that cars are so good now, the average person can get in to big trouble with out ever feeling "scared" that the car is going to lose it.

On the other hand, stuff happens on public roads. Children running around, oil patches, idiot drivers, etc. can suddenlly cause an accident avoidance situation. Most drivers don't know or haven't had the training to control the car properly. Also, everybody have lapses of concentration or have times where they are lazy drivers. This is where VSA can save you, even if you are the best driver in the world.

Also, the VSA can be considered a performace feature. Performance driving is all about driving at the limit consistently. The key is consisitently. Pro drivers do it through experience and skill. The VSA can reel in most regular drivers when they step over the limit, which allows ordinary drivers to be on the limit longer without losing control. *** Disclaimer *** this only applies to running on a track, or autocross course. If you do this sort of driving on public roads, you are breaking the law.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:42 AM

Get the VSA. You can always turn it off whenever you want. My rear end kicked out a couple weeks ago (in the rain). My car was all over the place, it was really hard for me to regain control. I'm sure VSA would've helped me out a great deal.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

So... I'm curious about something because I have the VSA and I really don't know the specific function yet.

I know that when the car senses rear tire slippage, the VSA comes off the throttle. But... now let's say on a turn, when you lose it... does the VSA, in addition to letting off the throttle, does it also individually apply the brakes at the needed tire to make sure the car doesn't spin out?

Andre
Old 04-22-2006, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by 8kGoodENuff,Apr 22 2006, 09:34 AM
So... I'm curious about something because I have the VSA and I really don't know the specific function yet.

I know that when the car senses rear tire slippage, the VSA comes off the throttle. But... now let's say on a turn, when you lose it... does the VSA, in addition to letting off the throttle, does it also individually apply the brakes at the needed tire to make sure the car doesn't spin out?

Andre
Yes, the VSA is traction control (wheel slip by control of power) and yaw angle control (wheel slip plus selective braking) See Honda's press piece:

http://www.hondanews.com/CatID0000?mid=200...952082&mime=asc

"Also new for 2006 is Honda's Vehicle Stability Assist system, making the S2000 more stable and forgiving than ever during street driving or in inclement weather conditions. Working in concert with the Drive-by-Wire system, VSA continuously monitors yaw rate, steering input, throttle input, and braking pressure to determine if the car is following its driver's intended path, and can independently coordinate each of the disk brakes through the 4-channel anti-lock brake system, along with the throttle, to enhance vehicle stability. While this serves to effectively enhance driver control during acceleration, braking, and cornering, the system can be disabled with the touch of a button when conditions warrant it. To help provide optimum stopping power, the braking system also features Electronic Brake Distribution and Brake Assist."

On my '06, the VSA allows a fair amount of yaw -- you can hang the tail out before it activates -- enough to let you have fun. I have never dropped the clutch hard enough to know how it treats wheel spin.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:08 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Yflyer,Apr 22 2006, 01:39 PM
Yes, the VSA is traction control (wheel slip by control of power) and yaw angle control (wheel slip plus selective braking) See Honda's press piece:

http://www.hondanews.com/CatID0000?mid=200...952082&mime=asc

"Also new for 2006 is Honda's Vehicle Stability Assist system, making the S2000 more stable and forgiving than ever during street driving or in inclement weather conditions. Working in concert with the Drive-by-Wire system, VSA continuously monitors yaw rate, steering input, throttle input, and braking pressure to determine if the car is following its driver's intended path, and can independently coordinate each of the disk brakes through the 4-channel anti-lock brake system, along with the throttle, to enhance vehicle stability. While this serves to effectively enhance driver control during acceleration, braking, and cornering, the system can be disabled with the touch of a button when conditions warrant it. To help provide optimum stopping power, the braking system also features Electronic Brake Distribution and Brake Assist."

On my '06, the VSA allows a fair amount of yaw -- you can hang the tail out before it activates -- enough to let you have fun. I have never dropped the clutch hard enough to know how it treats wheel spin.
Dude... you're awesome man. Every question I ask, you're usually the one to answer... lol...

Thanks to everyone else as well for your input.

Andre
Old 04-23-2006, 04:37 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I waited 8 months for my S. I'm sure a few weeks for VSA will be worth it.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by 8kGoodENuff,Apr 23 2006, 01:08 AM
Dude... you're awesome man. Every question I ask, you're usually the one to answer... lol...

Thanks to everyone else as well for your input.

Andre
You are welcome. I got a lot of really good info from these threads before I bought my S. Just want to return the favor. Show your further appreciation by becoming a member of S2KI.