S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

VTEC Application

Old 06-23-2001, 05:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VTEC Application

Question? How do you use (VTEC) this feature in your spirited driving mode? What I am after here is not on straight line roads, but twisty ones with a well defined apexes. Since I've never driven the car it's hard to get a sense of the usefulness of VTEC and still maintain a smooth quick driving style. My observations, from comments made here is that when the VTEC comes in it's like a "kick in the backsides". How do "you" use it in the curves. This car seems to be a lot like many sport bikes, in that it's power band is developed in the upper 1/3 of rev. limits. I am guessing here, but the biggest difference (from those same bikes) is that the bike power and throttle response is linear (with exception) with no big power peak or kick in the pants that is throttle controlled. I am not sure I am being clear here? Help me out on understanding how the VTEC works. Thanks!
Old 06-23-2001, 05:54 AM

Once launched, you STAY in VTEC due to the gear ratios of the 6 speed. Power is linear and predictable in VTEC.
Old 06-23-2001, 06:29 AM

Can you keep it in the "VTEC Zone" in tight turns? What about the instant oversteer that would occur with VTEC surge mid apex?
Old 06-23-2001, 06:37 AM

Originally posted by Chipster
Can you keep it in the "VTEC Zone" in tight turns? What about the instant oversteer that would occur with VTEC surge mid apex?
That can happen, but it is much less of an effect than the surge you would get from shifting, and it is always at the same RPM so it is predictable. Dynos show that there is a slight drop in torque before the surge, so you can feel as well as hear when VTEC surge is about to happen.
Old 06-23-2001, 06:41 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should never leave VTEC from launch to finish. The surge comes when it kicks in. I suspect that the same applies to turbos (I have not driven a turbo for any extended amount of time but I understand how the effect can be the same).
Old 06-23-2001, 07:11 AM

The only thing that I can compare here is my VFR that I can fix a throttle position (trailing) and take the curve by adding lean angle. For a car it's all different. Here is the set up. Tight entrance, long sweeping decreasing radius curve that will allow you to come in with a couple of downshifts, and a sweep of brakes, well before the apex, say @5-6K. Will the engine respond with a VTEV surge if your not carefull, or is the fact that it might, become a learned trait that you just keep in the back of your head? This is exciting just to talk about!