S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Want to buy used s2k, seeking advise

Old 08-17-2005, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Want to buy used s2k, seeking advise

Hello all,

I am new to this forum. I have just graduated from college and started a full-time job and have wanted a Honda s2000 for years. I now have some income so I will be able to go out and buy one. I wanted to seek the advice of this forum as to which conduit I should use to buy one.

Ideally, I want a used 2003 or 2004. My preferance would be the silver color with the Red & Black interior trim. Also, low mileage would be a plus.

By Decemeber, I will have ~$5,000 saved up for a down payment. My question is, where is the best place to find one to purchase in December?

- Honda Dealership
If I bought a used one from the local Honda dealership, I would have to pay sales tax and I anticipate the price would be more than from other sources. However, it would then come with the Honda ReCertified warranty, which is a big plus. Also it would be easier to secure a loan with the people at the dealership.

- Autotrader.com
I would be able to find just what I like on here, and negotiate on price (the price will probably be cheaper than the dealer). But it will not come with the Honda recertified warranty, and securing a loan with a 3rd party will probably be harder than w/ the Honda dealer.

- Florida Wholesale Car Auctions
A coworker's dad is a car wholesaler in Florida. He gave me access to the inventory for the Orlando Car Auction, where s2000s go on sale every week. The prices here are much less, but they will not come with a Honda recertified warranty, and securing a loan with a 3rd party vendor will be harder. Also, I will probably not be able to see it until I buy it.

Where do you guys suggest I go to buy my used s2000. Also, what do you think would be a fair price for (my ideal), a 2003 w/ ~10,000 miles on it. Any tips or grievences with my thought process are welcome.

Thanks again!
Old 08-17-2005, 09:09 AM

I bought a used 2003 with 6K miles on it from a dealership (Straub in Wheeling, WV). They treated me great. I financed originally with a great rate at 48 months but then paid it off 2 months later due to moving some money around and cashing in some securities.

The Honda cpo is a good deal. I opted for the 100,000/10 year extended warranty for $997 extra. I felt it was reasonable and worthy. The cpo is a pretty tough on the shape the car is in so I think it says a lot about the vehicle if it is certified.

I paid $24,900 after all possible costs so I felt I got a good deal.

I've had it 3 months and it has 16K miles on it!!!!
Old 08-17-2005, 09:36 AM

I just picked up a '00 Silver w/ black and red interior. Good color choice.

For finding a vehicle, if you're looking for one with <10k miles, I'd look into a CPO. Otherwise, autotrader is good. That's where I found mine.

People have been getting 05's for less than $30k, so that might be another option for you. Plus, you'll know it was broken in properly. Good luck with your search.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:04 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

CPO is different than used with a warranty.

the honda CPO is pretty much as good as the original warranty. The HondaCare coverage you get on a non-CPO car is much more stringent on what you can do and what they cover.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:25 AM

well..i think i understand..i got both..CPO and HondaCare

just to clarify my situation
Old 08-18-2005, 02:43 PM

bump
Old 08-18-2005, 02:52 PM

I would look at a dealership in the crappiest winter region you can think of. Convertibles bring a premium when there is "convertible weather." The south is the only exception, as there is good weather almost all year for tops down.

I would definitely look into trading in what you are currently driving to whatever dealer you use. True, you do not get as much $ as if you were to sell on your own, the tax savings on the transaction are more than likely to be worth it.

I would check the northeast (stay out of big cities as cost of living inflates those prices). I would use autotrader as a way to search dealer inventory. I would not commit to a buy online without test driving it first. It is a good source of info.

Autotrader.com
I would be able to find just what I like on here, and negotiate on price (the price will probably be cheaper than the dealer). But it will not come with the Honda recertified warranty, and securing a loan with a 3rd party will probably be harder than w/ the Honda dealer.
This is not necessarily true. Dealers list on Autotrader all the time. They sometimes list certified cars. If it is not certified, you can bargain that into the price. There is not much to certifying a car. It has to pass like a 200 point inspection and pay a fee and it is certified (there might be more qualifications, but its not hard). Dealers can also ship cars for usually under $1000. They ship to your local Honda dealership, and you come pick it up. Also, if you find one you want in another part of the country, sometimes if you go to your dealer, they will trade inventory with the other dealer, so you can buy it from them.

John
Old 08-18-2005, 03:29 PM

stay close to your college roots. cars are a money pit, save up and pay cash for your car. until then ramon for lunch.