S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Weapon-R Intake

Old 09-20-2005, 04:23 PM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by batikan,Sep 20 2005, 08:06 PM
i live in South Florida. I don't think rain will be much of a problem but I just want to know if it performs same as a Comptech
I'm in Miami too.

Last year, it was raining lightly. I never drove through any flooded areas or submerged my filter. My filter was soaked and I had water in the intake piping.

About a month ago, it was raining heavily. Again, I never drove through any flooded areas or submerged my filter. And again, my filter was soaked and I had water in the intake piping. I poured out 1/4 of a cup of it.

When I called AEM about this, their reply was "oh well, thats too bad."

My S2000 is my weekend car. I've barely driven it in the past few months for fear I might get caught in an afternoon shower.

The problem is that the filter is exposed, just light rain can and will get water into your intake. Comptech is a much better intake system than this piece of shit AEM. So unless you like to pour water out of your intake after everytime it rains and run a high risk of hydrolocking your F20C, I would avoid AEM. Read the South FL forum and see how many have hydrolocked this summer because of AEM.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your AEM gets water because one of the water drain holes is directly above the filter. Everytime it rains it would drop water on the filter getting it wet. They have an 'umbrella' mod for this.

I think I'm the only one here on S2ki who has the Secret Intake. It's about as loud as the stock intake without the airbox lid. If you want noise, go for the Dragon Intake (Both from Weapon R) which is known to be the loudest intake for the S2k.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:10 PM
mav

No, my drain hole is plugged. Besides, this only happens when the car is parked, not moving.

AEM sucks.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mav,Sep 21 2005, 04:10 PM
No, my drain hole is plugged. Besides, this only happens when the car is parked, not moving.

AEM sucks.
But honestly, how do you really feel about AEM?
Old 09-21-2005, 01:48 PM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

i dont really understand why people shell out the dough for these intakes. you really could duplicate the same thing with some intercooler piping for less money, and if you did it right it wouldnt be any different.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:11 PM

I have an INJEN intake (like the AEM). I am in North FL. I have driven through 1 hurricane with it on the car, and no problems. I have installed the "umbrella" mod, plugged the drain hole, and installed an AEM bypass valve. I have not had any problems with water at all....(knock on wood).....If you look at where the filter is located, as long as the lower trim panel to the engine bay is secure, there is no other area for water to get in, except for the drain hole.

I popped my filter out after the storm, and it was damp, but not soaking wet. Any filter is damp after that kind of humidity.

John
Old 09-21-2005, 04:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a AEM on my last car.... POS locked up my engine

I second your vote that AEM will suck water in time...
it will suck water and you could have major engine problems

I went with K&N FIPK... no worries about water now
Old 09-22-2005, 04:55 AM
mav

Originally Posted by jwa4378,Sep 21 2005, 07:11 PM
I have an INJEN intake (like the AEM). I am in North FL. I have driven through 1 hurricane with it on the car, and no problems. I have installed the "umbrella" mod, plugged the drain hole, and installed an AEM bypass valve. I have not had any problems with water at all....(knock on wood).....If you look at where the filter is located, as long as the lower trim panel to the engine bay is secure, there is no other area for water to get in, except for the drain hole.

I popped my filter out after the storm, and it was damp, but not soaking wet. Any filter is damp after that kind of humidity.

John
The bypass valve cannot be used with the AEM V2 and it also negates any gains from your intake.

AEM = POS INTAKE
Old 09-22-2005, 05:29 AM

I dont like AEM because of the bends. There is actually a little trap that is formed right after the filter that will hold water. That is why I went with the INJEN, as all bends result in a downhill slope to the filter.

Technically, you can install a bypass on any intake, provided that you have one with the right diameter. I realize that some of the performance gains are negated, but not all of them. I can see loosing the upper end power, as the 310 CF/min that our cars suck while in VTEC would cause some air to be pulled through the foam of the bypass. I really just like the intake because of the nice sound, the increase in low end punch (not much, but it is noticable in my car), and the utter absence of heat soak.

I got a CAI not for the gains (2-3hp not worth $200 IMO), but rather for the remedy to the heat soak issue.

vAnt - isnt that intake pictured above pulling air from the same area as the stock intake? Right next to the radiator?

John
Old 04-03-2006, 01:04 PM

I THINK YOU SHOULD STAY AWAY FROM EXPENSIVE INTAKE AND COLD AIR LOTS OF TEST SHOW THEY GET ABOUT THE SAME GAINS AS THE SHORT RAM THAT WHYON MY S2K, I WHEN WITH THE WEAPON R INTAKE, WHAT I LIKE ABOUT WEAPON R INTAKE IS, IT HAS A COO FEATURE THAT HAS A NOISE SURPRESSER BUILT IN THE TUBE SO YOU GET TO LOUD OF NOISE LIKE THOSE THOSE OTHER INTAKE AND PLUS PRICE IS RIGHT FOR LIKE 160 AVG. I GOT MY FOR CHEEPER THROUGHT HOOK UPS

Quick Reply: Weapon-R Intake