S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Wear Holes in the Top (new info)

Old 12-05-2003, 03:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wear Holes in the Top (new info)

I have searched and read all the various threads on this. I am currently battling with Honda to get mine replaced and I am being denied. What I need to know is if there is anyone who has had theirs replaced after their 36,000 mile warranty has run out. I have found people who have had theirs replaced under warranty, but I need a little more info.

If anyone has had thier top replaced under warranty when their car had more than 36,000 miles on it would you please let me know? Also if you could be as kind to post or PM me the dealership that did it it would really help out a fellow owner.
Old 12-05-2003, 05:29 AM

Where exactly are these holes forming?
Old 12-05-2003, 05:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Big Ben
*nods* that's what i'd like to know....

i don't remember you pointing them out at the last meet... i'd really like to keep an eye on mine and prevent them if possible...
Old 12-05-2003, 05:49 AM

I'm going throught the exact same thing. I'm trying my second dealership tomorrow. My argument is that I told them about the hole before I had 36K miles and now they're telling me it's past. I'll keep fighting...

Good luck.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:18 AM

Originally posted by Big Ben
I can tell you where mine formed. At the base of the soft top on either side, about 1 inch in front of the only seam in the soft top that runs from side to side. With the top up, you can feel the sharp edge of the hinge mechanism at this point about 1 inch above the door. It appears that this sharp edge eventually wears a hole into the vinyl. Mine developed 1/2" long slit-like holes on both sides after 2 years. They started small and slowly enlarged.
I'd be surprised if many dealers replace a soft top for free after the warranty expires, though.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:52 AM

I didn't point it out at meets, because I didn't want to take away from the ownership experience by bitching about all my ills with Honda. I have determined that my 00 S2000 was the best car I had ever owned untill 50,000 miles. I have problems with the top, transmission, and differential.

There is a thread here with pictures, but pictures won't do it justice. Basically feel behind your left ear in the portion of fabric between the drivers side window and the rear plastic window for some material that feels worn and thin. This will eventually lead to a hole.

This defect has been fixed on later models. There is a piece of plastic and some extra material to keep this from happening.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:27 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Charly
Old 12-05-2003, 09:28 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2K_LA
I didn't point it out at meets, because I didn't want to take away from the ownership experience by bitching about all my ills with Honda.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:32 AM

I had TSB-054 done when it forst came out... since then that TSB has been updated because the original didn't fix the problem and the problem would come back. My transmission is shaking pretty good on deceleration now which was the original problem. Even though Honda shows where I had the work done prior to the proper update to the TSB they still won't fix a problem that was defective once the car rolled off the lot.
Old 12-05-2003, 10:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, i'm sitting on top of 50k right now... so, based on S2K_LA's theory, everything should fall apart sometime early next year... just kidding man...

I didn't point it out at meets, because I didn't want to take away from the ownership experience by bitching about all my ills with Honda. I have determined that my 00 S2000 was the best car I had ever owned untill 50,000 miles. I have problems with the top, transmission, and differential.

There is a thread here with pictures, but pictures won't do it justice. Basically feel behind your left ear in the portion of fabric between the drivers side window and the rear plastic window for some material that feels worn and thin. This will eventually lead to a hole.

This defect has been fixed on later models. There is a piece of plastic and some extra material to keep this from happening.
well, i am glad that you've pointed it out now, as i can hope to take some preventative measures to stop further wear... because, i just went and checked... in the triangle like area (above my ear) on both sides i have a spot that's the size of an eraser head that looks a little worn. i held a bright light outside the car on that spot, and could see no light, so i'm not screwed yet...

here's a pic where my wear spot is... (from this thread)

does this look about right S2K_LA?

i'm guessing i've lucked out or have very little wear (mine is quite minimal) because my previous owner was a wuss who never drops the top...

i'm thinking that maybe getting some black duct tape and placing it on this spot may provide a good way to buffer the wear from the top to the tape. thoughts?

here's another thread that shows different wear... is this yours S2K_LA?

i personally show no signs of this type of wear... still the suggestion to wrap sharpish parts of the top mechanism with a little black electrical tape might not be a bad idea.

and based on Charly's description -- i have no such spot that i can find... can you possibly post a picture or something? i'd like to look for this one as well....

Quick Reply: Wear Holes in the Top (new info)