S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Wear Holes in the Top (new info)

Old 11-25-2006, 04:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a hole forming in the same exact place as one of the pics shown in this thread. You can definitely tell it was the bar rubbing against it that caused the hole. My S2K is a 2003 model. Have there been any new revelations about this? Thanks!!
Old 11-25-2006, 08:01 AM

This is why I enjoy this website -- I had the exact same problem and found all your posts interesting. So, for what it's worth, here's what happened to me and how I fixed it:

I bought my 2000 S2K a few months ago w/55K. I'll admit I didn't notice the tiny pin-size holes before I bought it (there were two, in the same places you've all mentioned, and no doubt from rubbing against the folding mechanism.) Call it a defect or the shortcomings of the first model year of a new car, but I figured it was one price you pay for a 6yo car (and a small one for owning an S2K. Still, it had to be fixed before it rained.

Given its age, I knew it wasn't under warranty and never considered a Honda dealer. That would cost a fortune. So I went to an auto upholstery shop that was recommended in my area. First I had them replace the original -- and now faded -- plastic rear window with a new clear one (sweet) and then returned another day and asked them to fix the holes.

They glued a rectangular black patch, each one about 3"wide, on the inside of each hole. Then, on the outside, they dabbed a small amount of clear sealer (that's because, even with the inside patch, the hole could still get bigger over time without the sealer). The fix took about 30 minutes and cost $30.

Now, I admit it's not a perfect solution because it takes away from having a totally unblemished soft top. But only someone looking closely for the repairs would ever notice them while sitting in your car, and now the problem is behind me.

If you live in the Southern California area and are interested in where I had this work done, PM me and I'll gladly send along the name and number.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:42 AM

^^^
can you post pics of this?
Old 11-27-2006, 08:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spider2k,Mar 11 2005, 04:25 AM
just FYI. i called the dealer and the service manager was all nice about it and said to come on in. he took pics, made a report and said he'd call in 2 days after talking to the dsm.

3 days later and no call so i call him and am promised an answer within 2 days.

3 more days and i decide to call and he says he'll call in 15 minutes.

3 MORE days and i decide to call the 800 number and they take the info and say they will call back. the next day i get a call from someone else at the dealer sying i was denied right off the bat because of the year(00). doesnt matter if its got 26k and in perfect shape otherwise. then asked me to call the 800 number back and let them know i was contacted. apparently they only way to get them to call back is to get honda of america to call them. what a load of BS.

between this and the fact that they kept my bro-in-law there for 6 hours for an OIL CHANGE(and got the shit all over the valve cover to boot) id say stay away from WILLET HONDA SOUTH. i get nothing but shit every time i deal with them.

its just a rant i just dont think it would have been any trouble for them to replace my defective top that i cant even see out the back of and has daylight coming through the hole in the driver side and the passenger side is almost there.
I hate dealers who make excuses to avoid customers
Old 12-05-2006, 01:57 AM

I will post a pic of it as soon as I can. Right now, I am trying to find someone who can patch it because I doubt Honda will do anything about it. It is a shame because I have a neighbor with a porsche boxter and his top (4 years old) is still in better condition than mine....
Old 12-05-2006, 05:52 AM

Here's a pic ... keep in mind I took this with a flash so it would be clear. In ordinary light, the patches are barely noticeable.

Old 12-05-2006, 07:13 AM

I owned a 2000 S2000 a few years back with this problem. I sold it back in 2004 and just bought a 2004 with the glass window to get around the problem. Honda shot me the middle finger on the fix.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:00 PM

Mine is a MY 06 and it happened to me. Mine is at the dealer as we speak to get the top replaced at no cost. Still a problem!!!
Old 11-27-2007, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by timdonna1,Nov 27 2007, 09:00 PM
Mine is a MY 06 and it happened to me. Mine is at the dealer as we speak to get the top replaced at no cost. Still a problem!!!
Isn't that just crazy? My MY00 top is still in great shape.
I wonder if there might not be some kind of quality control issue at work here.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:29 PM

Who makes the tops for Honda?

Quick Reply: Wear Holes in the Top (new info)